460 Ford Forum banner

heres some pictures of my home ported DOVE-C heads finalized

16K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  bigpoppapreston 
#1 ·
here's some pictures of my d0ve-c heads that i done so far. these are my first set of iron heads that i successfully completed. :lol:

i tried a set of small block GT-40p heads and broke through a water jacket and got seriously discouraged. however thanks to this site and the wealth of knowledge that many of you all have i gathered my courage back and successfully completed these here which looks very good in my estimation.

in the next few weeks i will post how good they actually are will they get machined and flow tested.

#2 ·
the valves will be 2.25 intake and 1.770 ferrea 6000 series part numbers F6190 and F6176.

5.344" lenght intake and 5.110" length exhaust. the exhaust are pontiac offerings and are actually just a hair larger than the more common 1.76 ford valves.

#3 ·
Boy that's alot of work isn't it?.....It is hard to tell from the pic but that intake short turn looks funny to me....might try to get a better pic and have the guys check it out.....maybe I drank too much last nite...lol....D

#7 ·
i updated the pictures to include shots of the exhaust.

it's not a professional job but my first heads that i totally done and i do not feel bad about them at all. in fact i'm proud of myself and my 4 year old son on the job we done. he painted the heads so i could scribe them and as well as blowing out the ports with air to clean them out and i also helped him to hold the die grinder and worked over a few ports.

what a great kid and i would do anything for him! 8)

#9 ·
why thank you planotorino!!! :) i'll pm you the pictures of the bits that i used and where i used them at, but a short answer to your question is a flame tip carbide bit.

i tried to mimick to the best of my ability some of the top tier head gurus on the internet and i got a whole bunch of knowledge from www.reincarnation-automotive.com

for just a nominal fee of i believe $20, that site gives you a wealth of knowledge concerning cj/dove type cylinder heads.

i also went to different manufactorers that sell cylinder heads and people/companies that port cylinder heads and looked at their designs and tried to come up with something for these D0VE-C heads that i have.

i must admit it took alot of work and patience but i do believe that they came out decent for my first successful port job.

the cross section of the intake ports are 1.81" w x 1.91"h and that was measured on the plane between the pushrod holes (w) and from the roof to the bottom of the crest of the short turn (h). the intake ports are ported to cobra jet felpro 1231 gaskets.

i'm waiting for my valves to show up so i can finally get these finished up and flow tested.

#14 ·
ElFranko said:
If you don't mind me askin what type of bits did you use? I'm planning on doing a set of 302 heads before I try my D0VE's.
Thanx
I recently sent some picture to planotorino, i'll pm the pictures as well.

I will update this thread with pictures of the finished heads when they get back from the machine shop and i will get a better camera to take them with.

#18 ·
I have a few updates to my home ported D0VE-C cylinder heads.

I got my cylinder heads back from the machine shop and had them to machine the valve guides, install brass guides, perform competition valve job, replace a valve guide (the whole thing) that was broken, surface the heads .030" and check the combustion chamber CC's and installed height of springs.

the installed height is 2.100.

the combustion chamber is 73cc. (I took material from the heads when I unshrouded the valves).

I still have to do a bowl job on them before I get some flow numbers.

#21 ·
Well I finally got a chance to flow the heads and the numbers are decent for a amature who successfully ported their first pair of cylinder heads.

To be honest maybe deep in myself I was looking for a little more on the intake (in the 360's) but the exhaust did better than what expected seeing that they were flowed without a pipe. :roll:

But i'm thinking, the the pistons i currently have, a 545 cid 16:1 motor with a "BIG" roller, I should get the horsepower I'm looking for. :wink:

#24 · (Edited)
I found better pictures of my home ported heads

Here's some better pictures that was requested.

Well I upgraded these heads to a MAXIUM effort deal that required extensive work that I will keep mum on for the moment, but all work again was done by me. (an amature)

Note I did not do anything further on the exhaust ports, however Modern Cylinder Heads flow bench showed a different number. -7 cfm from the previous test, both w/o tube attached.

Jeff at Modern Cylinder Heads said that the valve job wasn't good so i'll upgrade and report the results.

I'm expecting these heads to go 370+ @ .800"!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.