Stock D3 heads go low 11's. - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Build Archive A place to archive DYNO or 1/4mile VERIFIED engine builds. Please post any engine tech questions to the Engine Tech forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Stock D3 heads go low 11's.

Thought this was pretty interesting. A good friend of mine threw this thing together with spare parts at the start of the '08 season to compete on a budget in the points series in the foot-brake class and run on pump gas. He has loaned me the car this winter to play with. (track is open all year here)

466 short block has Eagle H-beam rods, JE flat tops. Comp 292H cam.

Heads are bone-stock D3VE-A2A with fresh valve-job. Zero port work. Stock valves, springs, retainers, and stock sled rockers. Stock pushrods.

Torker II intake with 850 dp Holley no spacer.

Hooker 2" swap headers into 3.5" race bullets.

PG trans. 2900# Foxbody. 4.30 geared 8.8., 28" slicks.

7.13 ET @ 96 mph. Footbrake launch, shifting at 5,500 rpm.

Car went 11.30's (1/4 mile) floating the valves shortly after the 1/8 mile marker. Guessing it will go at least 2 tenths quicker with spring upgrade (which I will be doing in December)

Maybe a tick over 400 h.p. ? dunno.

Bob Meyer
www.BIGBLOCKFOX.com
'69 Mach1 390 4-spd, '64 Falcon Futura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 12:22 PM
jm

DAM :!: i love hearing about impressive junker motors, that is awsome what is the track altitude?
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm
what is the track altitude?
600'

San Antonio, TX

Bob Meyer
www.BIGBLOCKFOX.com

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to NITROUS FORD
WHAT WAS YOUR TRAP RPM WITH THOSE GEARS! IN THE 1/4 AND 1/8 MILE! IF YOU DROP DOWN IN GEAR MYBE 3.27-3.73S AND BETTER SPRINGS THAT THING SHOULD BE A REAL SLEEPER! :shock: :shock: :shock:
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 06:49 PM
1997superstang

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
i would't call eagle rods and j-e pistons junk yard parts
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 08:12 PM

Re: Stock D3 heads go low 11's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBob_M
Thought this was pretty interesting. A good friend of mine threw this thing together with spare parts at the start of the '08 season to compete on a budget in the points series in the foot-brake class and run on pump gas. He has loaned me the car this winter to play with. (track is open all year here)

Heads are bone-stock D3VE-A2A with fresh valve-job. Zero port work. Stock valves, springs, retainers, and stock sled rockers. Stock pushrods.

Car went 11.30's (1/4 mile) floating the valves shortly after the 1/8 mile marker. Guessing it will go at least 2 tenths quicker with spring upgrade (which I will be doing in December)

nice runs with a little work should go quicker...

Randy
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

1/8 mile speed is 97. I'll have to dig up a 1/4 mile timeslip, but the trap speed in the 1/4 isn't much better with the 4.30 gears and floating valves.

The gear choice was due to S.A. runs their bracket program as 1/8 mile, and what he had laying around. Head choice was due to wanting to keep the compression down to pump gas levels and avoid paying $8.00 a gallon for fuel.... and again what he had laying around.

Chris and Michelle have two other race cars. One is a 95 with ported D0VE headed 514 running 10.1's. Both of the other Stangs are getting new power this winter, so the only thing this D3 head combo is getting is bolt down roller rockers and new springs. It's a very consistant, reliable race car. Maybe will get some ported D3's and solid-lifter cam in the future, but not this winter. We are going to race it all winter. If the new springs make a significant et reduction in the 1/4, I'll post the numbers.

True... The short-block is not junk-yard parts. Although a freshened junk-yard 460 with D0 heads and a cam upgrade might be almost as quick.

BTW... this short block has run 9's with ported D0VE's and a 200 shot in this car.

Bob Meyer
www.BIGBLOCKFOX.com
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 09:41 AM

What was your 60ft?
Tire size?

93 528cu Lightning
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 11:27 AM
1997superstang

cool..sorry if it sounded wrong..but it looks good to me, my new 472 is pretty much junk in the eyes of most people ..stock 460 crank...TRW forged pistons and Hawk-rpm h-beam rods, with ported doves and a victor 460 intake and 1150 dommie with a Herbert roller, pretty cheap motor compared to some of this guys on here
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 05:45 PM
jm

first off i need to apologize. I dont mean to say that bob's buddy's motor is junk, it was the referall of the d3 unported heads. I have run stock component rebuilds in many of my projects over the years and i love hearing about them. Sometimes the low dollar thrill motors are more impressive than the big buck $ ones. 8) JAY
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 10:03 PM
1997superstang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm
first off i need to apologize. I dont mean to say that bob's buddy's motor is junk, it was the referall of the d3 unported heads. I have run stock component rebuilds in many of my projects over the years and i love hearing about them. Sometimes the low dollar thrill motors are more impressive than the big buck $ ones. 8) JAY
100% agree..thats the way i like it..same as for the big dollar cars..are they nice..of course..big you can tell by looking at them that they will be fast..i like stuff that was built in a 1 car garage late at night , sell scrap metal ..etc to pay for it..or under a tree with stuff you got from salvage..hell yes..
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 12:18 AM
s_stang

Lol Welcome to the Junk Yard Wars!

Not sure on the PG and wouldn't run it.. But I bet a C-4 with 3:50 gears would be better..

My opinion..

Hope ya had a good Thanksgiving Bob & Happy Holidays to ya!

Les
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 01:19 AM

I love this kind of stuff.......you all heard run what you brung,well my motto is run what you can afford . have fun instead of worring about how your going to pay the visa bill. my .02 cdn. :lol:

90 Mustang 501 10.64 125 mph pump gas
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 07:00 AM

Re: Stock D3 heads go low 11's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBob_M

wow great times and good to hear with those heads. sounds like you got a well set up car.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997superstang
cool..sorry if it sounded wrong..but it looks good to me, my new 472 is pretty much junk in the eyes of most people ..stock 460 crank...TRW forged pistons and Hawk-rpm h-beam rods, with ported doves and a victor 460 intake and 1150 dommie with a Herbert roller, pretty cheap motor compared to some of this guys on here
You aren't alone. I am even cheaper right now than you are. I use anything and everything I possibly can that came from the factory before I fork out for the aftermarket parts.

Just because you use a stock crankshaft doesn't mean its a cheap "junk" build. Heck I will be running D3s and a Isky cam and some others etc. If the parts are in good condition they will work just fine. Unless you decide to go to a higher hp producing engine then you could upgrade to a aftermarket crankshaft. I would rather run a cast crankshaft than a forged piece. Thats just me. Only thing is the Cast will break earlier than a forged from detonation.

Quote:
I love this kind of stuff.......you all heard run what you brung,well my motto is run what you can afford . have fun instead of worring about how your going to pay the visa bill. my .02 cdn. :lol:
+2 Notch

Jim "iron Giant" Fahlin ~ A high performance car is like a guitar, you have to tune it to achieve your best operation and pull ahead of the competition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in