First 460 build - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Build Archive A place to archive DYNO or 1/4mile VERIFIED engine builds. Please post any engine tech questions to the Engine Tech forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

First 460 build

Hi everyone, this will be my first 460 build, it's going into a 88 mustang, I have a 1976 460 as a donor out of a f250, I want to build it up half decent and try to get the car into the 10's, i am going to stick with the cast heads it came with for now, just bought a edelbrock rpm airgap intake, any sugestions on what direction i should go to make some decent power, keeping in mind that this car has to be streetable, not a daily driver but, cruise when i need it to, anything might help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 11:29 AM

Since the engine is going into a Mustang and you are wanting some serious power,I would definitely look at including aluminum heads,for weight reduction and power potential. That way you can plan the selection of pistons,cam and valvetrain around the better cylinder heads. It would be money well spent.
The big 460 will have a weight penalty,over a stroker Windsor,without the addition of aluminum heads.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 70bbftorino
depending on the money situation, lotsa people on here run modified cast iron heads and get big power still. look in the build archives and they have several combos that are part by part builds and the HP range they will yield.......and plenty of people on here runnning similair setups based on those guidelines and can tell u they put out power in that estimated range- and it doesnt take a whole lot to move a stang down the track in a hurry--

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks for the reply, the only reason i am sticking with the cast heads is the cost of new ones are a bit much right now, does anyone know what kind of heads mine are? anyone have some cheap aluminum heads for sale?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in