Need advice for my 460 build - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Build Archive A place to archive DYNO or 1/4mile VERIFIED engine builds. Please post any engine tech questions to the Engine Tech forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Need advice for my 460 build

I've been doing a ton of reading on this site for the last 3 weeks and have learned a lot about the 460. This in not my first high performance engine build, but the first time with a 460. So here goes my application, starting foundation and proposed parts list and some questions.

The 460 will be for my 5000 lbs 1979 F-150 shot box 4x4. I do not tow, off road or race the truck, it's mainly used for hauling light loads and as a back up rig. The engine I have purchased is a 1994 EFI 460 with matching ZF 5 speed. I intend to remove the 351m and t-18 I currently have (and hate) and replace them with the 460/ZF combo.

Reviewing the "460 Horsepower Charts" I'm shooting for the 375-400hp build and plan to use a carburetor as I have none of the EFI stuff accept the intake. Knowing what I have to start with and what's available, can I use the f3te heads (ported) and EFI intake (ported) with this power range of build or should I move to the c8-d0 heads and RPM/Stealth intake? Which head would be easier to port for this level of build? Would ported Pro Comps be an option for me? Also, would it hurt to move to larger 2.19/1.71 Stainless valves at that time? I plan to do the port work myself along with my dad, as we enjoy doing a lot of our own work. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2006 Mazdaspeed6
1979 Ford F-150 SWB 4x4 460 ZF 5 Speed. DONE!
1969 Dart GTS 340/4 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 70bbftorino
375-400 hp is nothing, and u may not really have to port anything if u choose your combo of cam, intake, carb, headers, ignition well.........
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to bigblok86ranger
Cleaned up D3VE's , CJ replacement cam , 68-71 timing chain , edelbrock performer intake , Holley Street Avenger 770 cfm , recurved duraspark distributor .

Very basic combo and reliable as hell !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in