Maximum horsepower a factory block can handle (DOVE block perhaps) - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Build Archive A place to archive DYNO or 1/4mile VERIFIED engine builds. Please post any engine tech questions to the Engine Tech forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Maximum horsepower a factory block can handle (DOVE block perhaps)

I'm considering a DOVE block (earlier block I believe). Does anybody know how much power a DOVE block can handle? Of course from my last post about who's a good builder, Im planning to build a 545. I want to spin this monster less than 7,000 rpms. Most likely 6000 to 6500 max.

I have been using the search function and haven't found information yet, so please if anybody can help me in the mean time, I'd greatly appreciate it :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Well, lets say in the right hands it has done 2000+ hp, and in the hands of the wrong person 450 hp. What are you planning for this motor?

Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 06:26 AM

Alot depends on Compression, Stroke, Quality of Parts and Machinework. But IMO over 750 with 2 bolt mains the block starts to become a factor in reliablility, Not that to won't do it, just durability starts to become compromised.

But IMO if you can afford to make over 750hp, you can afford to spend the extra few $$$ On an A460 or Eliminator block.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfree383 View Post
Alot depends on Compression, Stroke, Quality of Parts and Machinework. But IMO over 750 with 2 bolt mains the block starts to become a factor in reliablility, Not that to won't do it, just durability starts to become compromised.

But IMO if you can afford to make over 750hp, you can afford to spend the extra few $$$ On an A460 or Eliminator block.
I agree.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfree383 View Post

LOL.

"durability starts to become compromised"

C'mon, you're producing more power. Durability is not going to increase. We're not talking about a 100,000 mile motor, or even a 10,000 mile motor.

Throwing on studs and a girdle does not prevent cap walk.

It does not take an A460 block or Eliminator to produce four figure hp numbers. If your part selection is not correct for the application, the weakest link will break. So instead of the block giving, the rotating assembly gives and takes out everything, lol.

You guys are correct in that a pure stock, unmodified, block will not take that much power.

You have to do some "work" to the block.

Dave

Last edited by DJOHAGIN; 06-25-2009 at 10:29 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOHAGIN View Post
LOL.

"durability starts to become compromised"

C'mon, you're producing more power. Durability is not going to increase. We're not talking about a 100,000 mile motor, or even a 10,000 mile motor.

Throwing on studs and a girdle does not prevent cap walk.

It does not take an A460 block or Eliminator to produce four figure hp numbers. If your part selection is not correct for the application, the weakest link will break. So instead of the block giving, the rotating assembly gives and takes out everything, lol.

You guys are correct in that a pure stock, unmodified, block will not take that much power.

Do you have to do some "work" to the block.

Dave

No one has said you can't make HP on a Stock Block, its just their are much better alternitives avalible for a pretty darn reasonable price, especialy when you figure the cost of "modifying" a stock block.

Yes, the durability decreases as the HP levels go up, thats a fact on any engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in