Compatibility Questions - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Build Archive A place to archive DYNO or 1/4mile VERIFIED engine builds. Please post any engine tech questions to the Engine Tech forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Compatibility Questions

Hi guys- I'm gettng ready to pull my 460 for an inspection. There's a small intermittant rattle ever since I sheared my dizzy roll pin at WOT- I'm leaning towards a cracked piston skirt....
Since I'm most likely going to have to start over with the rotating assy, I'm tossing around the idea of a turbo motor. I know that injection is the preferred method for getting it dialed in because of the ability to use software that's available.
Here's the question (and I've done a ton of searching). Can I use a mid-90's factory injection-style manifold and computer, harness, etc... and bolt it on my 70's block and head combo or am I stuck with the 90's heads? Also are the compression recommendations for the pistons? Typically huffers run lower to allow for more fuel and air to be brought in....

This will be going in a '78 Bronco and I'd love to see 800HP max since I drive this thing on the street and don't have $10K to spend. I just want to have enough HP to have some fun with. More power than that and it gets to be a handfull to drive in the sand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This is starting to look like another "dead in the planning stages" turbo thread.

I think I'm just going to stroke it. I finally stumbled on some good info and this is not going to be as easy as I was hoping for....
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

As far as I know the newer FI intake is specific to that year head. You can do a blow through carb setup, there are a few on the dunes like that now. Stroker with good heads is probably the easiest way to go. Ported trick flow streets or scjs on a 521 with a good cam could get you 700+ and not be unreliable. Will need a different converter also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in