429cj build HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Build Archive A place to archive DYNO or 1/4mile VERIFIED engine builds. Please post any engine tech questions to the Engine Tech forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

429cj build HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 1978 F-150 4x4 4 speed standard. I am wanting to build a bad *** street motor that will run on pump gas. I have a 40 over cj bottom end built with flat tops and everything is balanced. I also have a victor cj intake and a set of bare cj heads that are ported. I need advice on what to put into my heads, cam, dist, carb. I talked to comp cams and the guy suggested 236/236 634 110. He was a jerk and just wanted to get off the phone so I dont know if his suggestion is correct. I do have power brakes. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealhofer View Post
I have a 1978 F-150 4x4 4 speed standard. I am wanting to build a bad *** street motor that will run on pump gas. I have a 40 over cj bottom end built with flat tops and everything is balanced. I also have a victor cj intake and a set of bare cj heads that are ported. I need advice on what to put into my heads, cam, dist, carb. I talked to comp cams and the guy suggested 236/236 634 110. He was a jerk and just wanted to get off the phone so I dont know if his suggestion is correct. I do have power brakes. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
You're going to have your work cut out for you getting an iron headed 11:1 engine to run well on pump gas. You might get there with a custom cam and a lot of small tricks, but it's still going to be a finicky sob.

My suggestion would be to sell off the CJ heads and get something with a larger combustion chamber to bring the compression down.

More info about how you actually plan to use the engine would help too. "Bad-***" street engine isn't very descriptive. How much maintanence are you willing to live with? Do you need vac for power brakes? Lots of idle time? Able to cruise cross country at the drop of a hat?.....or fire it up and drive three blocks to the local dairy queen to impress your friends with smoky burnouts once a month?

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

I want to make it say 10-1 comp. I don't want to work on it. I want to cruise around town and make my buddies jealous. It will have some idle time and no
Long cruises. I want it to be dependable and if I have to sacrifice some power that's okay.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

I do need vacuums for power brakes.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Maybe something like your street fighter or ultimate fighter? Can I get the parts from you and have my local shop put it together?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 08:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Maybe something like your street fighter or ultimate fighter? Can I get the parts from you and have my local shop put it together?
I really think you just need a set of dished pistons, but we sell anything from individual parts to complete build kits so you can replicate one our crate engines. Those iron CJ's are pretty tough, there's no reason to replace them except weight, but I'd keep them for what you're doing.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I have a 429CJ in my 69 mustang... Just made it to the track last Friday.. in a full weight 1969 mustang... ran a 11.74... combo is stock bottom end, comp 305h cam, (not by choice only $50 and was on a budget), crites headers, stealth CJ intake, and STOCK dooe-r heads.... I also made 387 RWHP... so with your ported heads and such it should run great.

BTW im running mine on pump 93.. my cam probally bleeds a lot off though..
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

So I guess that using a thick head gasket wont get me into the pump gas range?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 03:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
So I guess that using a thick head gasket wont get me into the pump gas range?
With a thick head gasket, you'll lose quench, detonation tolerance, and performance. Beyond those basics, it's unlikely you'd be able to use a thick enough gasket to lower compression to a livable level without causing manifold and valvetrain fitment issues.

It should be mentioned that your location also plays a role. If you're at 3000+ feet, 11:1 and iron heads can be made to run quite well on pump gas.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

I am at 300 ft
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

what would be a good piston that is not too expensive to get my compression right?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 08:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
what would be a good piston that is not too expensive to get my compression right?
Piston selection is pretty limited for 429's. The cheapest option would be to use standard cast rebuilder pistons with the ~15cc dish, which will net a ~9.4:1 compression ratio with your CJ heads. The only concern with them is radial valve clearance with a longer duration cam.

If you want a set of forged pistons, I can have them made by Diamond. They're about double the price of cast pistons, but they're a plug-n-play deal with no clearance concerns.

The most popular option for somebody in your position would be to install a 460 rotating assembly, as there is a wider and less expensive selection of pistons available. The same rods can be used, but you'll need a 460 crankshaft. The cost of a budget forged piston and a 460 crank is going to be about the mid point of the two options outlined above.

I have several 460 cranks and pistons on hand, as well as 429 pistons. Feel free call or send me and email/PM if you'd like a quote.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 04:01 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

429 Help

I would put a set of open chamber heads on it with good valves and springs, a nice Hyd cam and lifters, a performer RPM intake and a 750DP carb, it should make 500 ish HP and be low maintance, what do y'all think?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 04:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbean View Post
I would put a set of open chamber heads on it with good valves and springs, a nice Hyd cam and lifters, a performer RPM intake and a 750DP carb, it should make 500 ish HP and be low maintance, what do y'all think?
Well, that was my first suggestion......

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsByCarl View Post
My suggestion would be to sell off the CJ heads and get something with a larger combustion chamber to bring the compression down.
But there is something to be said for keeping the CJ heads, as they are pretty "bad-***", and that's the stated goal of the build.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 10:47 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

429 Help

yes you did say that, he could save the CJ heads for the next build or after he tears up this build LOL!!! then he can replace the pistons to a lesser compression ratio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in