mild 460 track times, small fish in a big sea - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Build Archive A place to archive DYNO or 1/4mile VERIFIED engine builds. Please post any engine tech questions to the Engine Tech forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

mild 460 track times, small fish in a big sea

Went to Edgewater last night,lots of fun. Running a 1977 460 and c6 from a 77 Mark V. The following changes made to the motor. Stealth intake, Holley 80508SA 750cfm carb(straight from the box), Lunatti Voodoo cam( 207/213, 503/535, #10340700 ), Edelbrock rpm valve springs, Comp cams double roller timing set( early set, straight up ) high flow water pump and high volume oil pump.Mallory series 85 HEI dist. No internals were changed from stock, not rebuilt, just added to. Running in a 3300# Model A with a 9in rear running 3.55 gear (open) and 285-70-15 Silvertown radials( 31in tall about 10in tread). Trans is bone-stock ( Hughes torque converter 2000-2200 ) and ran in drive, foot braked.
Made 5 runs best was 14.042 @ 97.20mph, worst was 15.11 @ 94.89mph. My reaction times were horrible- best .148 worst .327 with one red light. This was my first time EVER on a track, wont be the last.
This should give newcomers like me some idea of what to expect from such a mild build. Have done lots of reading here, learned a lot. Thanks for all the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 01:38 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

mild track times

welcome fellow racer, looking at your times and MPH it looks like you have enough MPH to run mid 13.00's, you need to work on your 60' times a little bit, maybe some sticky street tires or slicks will help a bunch, but most of all is just have fun with it!!!!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 03:45 PM

Awesome!
What future plans do you have for the 460?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

New addict

Was planning on going stroker in the future ( kinda depends on money ) need to get the boy a car, he's been liking Falcons ( 466 maby? ) and will be turning 13 soon, running out of time. Didnt figure I had enough comp to handle much bigger cam right now, thats the big reason for that choice. Planing on keeping the intake/carb and use on it on the stroker ( thinking about 10:1 is all I want out of that, that way I can still afford gas for it Ha Ha. This fall/winter probably put in a locker and auto/manual valve body with a 5 disc drum. Thought about trying some used/borrowed drag radials, couldnt hurt. 60 ft times were 2.183, 2.319, 2.162, 2.451 and 2.560. Was really hitting that pass side tire hard, really need more traction, was side stepping out of the hole, but man what fun. I can see how people get addicted to this drag racing stuff. Split 4 runs with a friend in a 69 Camaro SS ( really, really nice car ) and got to pull away from a Mustang ( that was cool ). I hope there is a 12 step program for this, I think Im in trouble.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 07:07 PM

nice if you like falcons i believe the 66-69 falcons engine compartment and front end is the same as a 66-67 fairlane so that big motor will drop in. i did a 429 in my 69 torino using a crites motor mounts and headers fit well just a little rough putting the headers on. now i'm using a gateway mustang kit putting struts up front and notching the shock towers. horsepower is addicting LOL
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

good info. Hes into the 62's, no luck here, but where there is a will, there are thousands of modifications to be made! YIPPIE!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 09:38 PM

Was it spinning? What were the 60' times? And the biggest thing, where is the timing? Adding more timing will really wake it up. Total timing is what you're looking for, maybe close to 39* if it doesn't ping.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I watched the video my boy took, spinning for close to 80ft, maby just short of that (you can see tire smoke for that far anyway). 60ft times are in previous post. Timing is set at just a tad over 40, 42 tops, hard to read the marks I made, not on a tape, just measured out. Any suggestions on a locker, is Fords trac-loc any good? What about Richmond gears lock-right? Remember this will still be primarily a street car with occasional bouts of lunacy. Plus Im pretty cheap. A co-worker said to go to the pull-a-part and pull a locker out of a truck, but with 28 spline axles is that even an option?
Plus it was shifting at about 4k on the 1-2 shift, thinking that to early but not sure. The 2-3 shift was coming at about 5.2k ( I think, was to busy giggling with joy to really pay attention). Was running in drive cause I tried to upshift on the street ( B&M mega-shifter ) and 1-2 was good but 2-3 wouldnt come in unless you let off the throttle ( seemed like was at 5500 at that point ) and didnt want to have to get out of the gas. Thinking with this mild cam should be shifting at 5k, hows that sound?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

i got back into racing more than 2 years ago and now i'm super hooked. i went back to the track with some friends at work and its endless now. since, i've gone thru two suspenses and shocks for it for drag racing set ups. i went to calvert rear suspension and now ladder bar. i had a 466 and now its a 521. i redid my fuel system twice. i redid my cooling system twice.

i got tired of renting a u-haul trailer so i bought my own flat bed. i got tired of pulling with a 1/2 with a small motor so i went up to a 3/4 ton diesel truck. i then got tired of unloading and loading at mid-night every time i raced and made tons of noise for neighbors to complain so i recently went with a enclosed car trailer.

now im in the process of putting cabinets and shelves in the trailer for all my junk stuff thats meant only for the track.

its endless man!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

I can see my future, its full of broken parts, tire smoke and a blown 401k.https://460ford.com/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in