Hello again everyone! As most of all of you know I have a 1968 Mercury Montego MX Station Wagon with a 429 C6 8" Rear. The rear is getting changed out with a 9" with a 3.25 ratio. Well now after a year I have beat that 429 up pretty bad as it was already a used engine and what not. Recently I have been gathering parts to build a new 460 for it. I'm in the process of tearing it down and then it will be off to the machine shop! This is my first build besides just replacing random parts. I will list the things I have and then the things I still need. Have a few questions as well, anyway...
Parts I have:
1) C9VE 460 short block, stock standard bore
2) Set of TRW Forged Domed pistons PN 516-99 Standard bore
3) Set of Pro Comp aluminum heads - Bare, plan to port exhaust
All other parts will be used off my current 429 in the wagon. Parts I plan to reuse:
1) Holley 750 duel feed vac sec
2) Melling HV oil pump
3) Exhaust manifolds late 70's truck, will these work with pro comps"
So basically a high compression aluminum headed 460 engine. It's going in a wagon that weighs about 36-3700. I am running a stock stall beefed up c6 with a trans go stage 2 shift kit. Will have a 9" rear with 3.25 gears, but will eventually up grade to 3.50 posi or so. I have an edelbrock performer but I might switch to a stealth or something else, still up for debate. I would like a mean 500+ hp&tq combo for my wagon. I have never had a 500hp car but i hear its pretty easy with a 460 and still have street manners. I don't care if its alittle choppy but I would like plenty of low end torque. I have read builds where they have acheived this under 6500. I want to keep using a stock stall because most streets around here are 25 mph. Will occasionally take to the track but basically driving around town. Now onto things I need:
3) Intake, what would be best a performer, a stealth,etc?
4) Valves, guides, studs, springs, etc for the Pro Comp heads
5) Roller rockers
So questions I have are:
1) Whats my compression with domed pistons and Pro Comps with a c9ve block?
2) What hardware and valves should I get for the Pro Comp? Should I just have the engine shop get all the stuff for them or can I get them from a vendor?
3) What head gasket should I use?
4) Can I use my exhaust manifolds with my Pro Comps?
5) Cam? think I'll get one from a vendor, how big will I need it?
6) How much lift can the Pro Comps handle?
7) I need rings and wrist pin locks for the TRW's, where do I get those?
I'm sure I'll think of something else later but for now that's about it. Let know if you need more details, think I was pretty informative.
HELP ME GO FAST!!!!!!!