Single Turbo 460 Mustang Cobra - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Build Archive A place to archive DYNO or 1/4mile VERIFIED engine builds. Please post any engine tech questions to the Engine Tech forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Single Turbo 460 Mustang Cobra

Well I finally worked out a deal with a guy in IL to get rid of the Bronco in trade for a 2001 Mustang Cobra. It's currently already built but I'll need to upgrade a few things after next season.
Currently its an E85 injected 460 sporting a mostly stock bottom end so I'll be shifting really early- like 5000 RPMs.
It has some worked-over Pro Comp heads with some general clean-up and all Lunatti valve train. That wouldn't have been my 1st choice, but it seems to run-out pretty well.
Edelbrock Intake with direct port 120lb injectors and the Holley HP EFI Live system and computer.
Single 75mm turbo with all custom tigged headers, intake tubes and a huge intercooler.
Built C6 and a manual valve body, 8.8 with 373's and a posi.

Now for the fun stuff. With the current 8# settings it pulls 675 HP and 850TQ at the wheels, and at 18# it's pulling 975HP and over 1000TQ all before 5K.

The PO sent all of the dyno sheets along with the packet of info on the engine build and tuning sessions.

The car will get some panels re-shot this winter and I plan on just having some fun with it next season.

Next year I'll freshen-up the engine with a forged crank, some H-beams and forged pistons. At that time I'll evaluate the heads and upgrade if necessary. That might be a good time to upgrade to some blue thunder valve location heads since the pistons will be getting replaced anyways.

Here's some current pics:

So now for the big question. IF this thing actually hooks up, what do you experts think this thing will run in the 1/8 or 1/4 mile?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, I'm not an expert, but if it hooks up, my guess is... it's gonna break something Probably that posi
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 04:05 PM

that car is sick as hell though

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 12:30 AM

1,000lbft! That is so awesome! Love to have this setup in a Fox wagon! Drool!!

557ci 70 Maverick, [email protected] 1.25 60ft.... So far....
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 70bbftorino
looks like a cool new toy-congrats!

Getting back on the streets real soon

http://s935.photobucket.com/albums/ad191/70bbftorino/
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Welcome to the big block new edge fan club lol... very nice set up, post up a video of the beast doing a burn out

Tag and ins it's a street car, how it gets there does it really matter?

Nobody's perfect but if u drive a ford your darn close.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Will do! I found a couple little quirky things that need to addressed before I start putting any miles on it though. The rear brakes are pretty much non-existent. I made a couple adjustments to the adjustable proportional valve and the input rod for the MC. We'll re-bleed the lines this weekend and see how it runs out after that.
When I did take it for a little spin, it lit the rears up so quickly that it was almost effortless. It felt like I just hit an icy patch in the road. All spin and not hardly any forward movement. I guess I'm going to have to drop the tire pressure WAY down to even have a chance of hooking up with this thing lol!!!!
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

December update: It was fun while it lasted! 3rd time out it started getting a pretty loud clatter so I pulled the trans hoping to find a cracked flexplate- no such luck.
#7 rod bearing spun so I've been collecting parts for the last couple months. I currently have some JE forged flat-tops, H-beams, and a fresh crank. I just received a call from the machine shop yesterday that the block has been checked out, cleaned up and re-honed as well as the new rotating assembly all internally balanced.

I need to get another 521 build buttoned-up over the next 2 weeks and then I'll start assembling this beast.
On the top I'm bumping up the valve spring pressure a little bit- the old ones only tested at 100 lbs at the seat so I'm not sure if it was floating valves over 4700 R's or if the rev limiter was just set that low.

Either way I should see some drastic HP improvement now that it will be set up to twist north of 6K and not have to worry about something letting go.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Any updates!!!!!

Tag and ins it's a street car, how it gets there does it really matter?

Nobody's perfect but if u drive a ford your darn close.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Not yet... I'm picking everything up from the machine shop Friday morning.
There is a sexy new spoiler in flat black primer on the trunk though.
I'm still deciding what to coat it in. I want to find something black with some texture to it to match the mirrors. I'm going for a retro- early 70's look.

Come to think of it- this is turning into a complete build and not just a dyno'd engine. Maybe this should be switched to the build section?

Pic of spoiler:
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Sweet, I would paint it gloss black it would set it off nice.

D

1964 F100 466 zero decked fuelie 7cc dish pistons, with RHP 2.11 1.65 budget D3 heads, Voodoo cam 219/227, rpm intake, Holley Terminator EFI, MSD Ignition, MSD FORD TFI Distrbutor, 4R70W Trans with Baumann Re-cal kit, US Shift electronic Trans controller with B&M Megashifter, 2500 Dirty Dog Convertor, 3.50 gears with detroit locker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbl-v...3&feature=plcp
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 08:15 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

that spoiler looks sweet on the yellow deck lid, I bet I know where it came from could have been down Bama way LOL!!!!!!!
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 10:23 PM

Get some Steeda sway bars , springs and shocks , 18x9 in front , 18x10 rear . Go to the TEXAS MILE an then THE SILVER STATE CLASSIC here in Nevada .
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird of pray View Post
Get some Steeda sway bars , springs and shocks , 18x9 in front , 18x10 rear . Go to the TEXAS MILE an then THE SILVER STATE CLASSIC here in Nevada .
That sounds like too much work lol! I got this thing so that I could have something fun to cruise around in and mess with people. I doubt that I'm even going to take it to the track this year.

Everything is back from the machine shop and looks great. I should have it back together by the end of January and then I'm going to freshen-up the trans before I drop them both in.

I have 2 customer builds to do before I really get going on this thing, but I'm not in a rush. Winter really hasn't even started here yet and I'm sure that it will be too cold and snowy to take it out until the end of April.
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 04:47 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I don't want to hear about the cold and the snow "whiner" just through some chains on your wheels and a electric blanket and stay busy!!!!! LOL!!!!!

Last edited by butterbean; 12-28-2014 at 04:47 PM. Reason: added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in