questions about my 460 C9VE setup - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Build Archive A place to archive DYNO or 1/4mile VERIFIED engine builds. Please post any engine tech questions to the Engine Tech forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

questions about my 460 C9VE setup

Hello..

I posted a couple threads on this forum a few years back when I started researching what needed to be done with this engine. It came from my dad and shortly after posting those threads, he became sick and I had to put things off. He passed away earlier this year and before he passed, I promised him that I could get this project together.

So this 460 came from a 69 Lincoln with around 80,000 miles on it. The engine is fully assembled and does run. What I do know is that these heads are original and do not have hardened seats. It also has the power steering pump integrated with the crank.

My goals for this engine are what are laid out in this forum for the 450-475 plan. I am a little torn with what I should do with the heads. I feel the heads should have hardened seats. But I am a little reluctant to spend a boat load of money on iron heads if I should just go with the aluminum.

What are your thoughts? How much should I expect to spend to have these heads ported and have the seats upgraded? I live in Michigan and have access to the Grand Rapids area. Does anyone know of anyone shops that can do this work?

By the way, this engine is going into an AC Cobra kit car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

It just became aware from searching around on here that I can buy C9VE heads from Autozone. These would have to have hardened seats in them. If they are the same casting as what I already have, it would appear that perhaps this would be a better route.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Get w/Randy Malik here on the Forum(RMCompetition),he will steer you in the right direction. he's in the Detroit area.imo,stay away from the autozone rejects.

Rick Brown
(LIL TWEETY) BBF 62 Falcon Tube Chassis
Member of a BAND OF BROTHERS

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Yep, flippn burgers one day and rebuilding heads the next, pay peanuts attract monkeys. I saw a set one time that they bored for guides but never put them in and put the head together that way.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been told that heads run on leaded gaswill live if you don't grind the valves or the seats.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruppert View Post
Hello..

I posted a couple threads on this forum a few years back when I started researching what needed to be done with this engine. It came from my dad and shortly after posting those threads, he became sick and I had to put things off. He passed away earlier this year and before he passed, I promised him that I could get this project together.

So this 460 came from a 69 Lincoln with around 80,000 miles on it. The engine is fully assembled and does run. What I do know is that these heads are original and do not have hardened seats. It also has the power steering pump integrated with the crank.

My goals for this engine are what are laid out in this forum for the 450-475 plan. I am a little torn with what I should do with the heads. I feel the heads should have hardened seats. But I am a little reluctant to spend a boat load of money on iron heads if I should just go with the aluminum.

What are your thoughts? How much should I expect to spend to have these heads ported and have the seats upgraded? I live in Michigan and have access to the Grand Rapids area. Does anyone know of anyone shops that can do this work?

By the way, this engine is going into an AC Cobra kit car.
First off jruppert, I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your dad. I guess this project is a sentimental one to you for that reason.
Having said that, (keep in mind this is (me) a not so rich of a guys perspective) If I were able to afford a Cobra Kit Car project, I would throw those Iron heads in a GD dumpster just to hear them make a loud boom when they hit the bottom. Or scrap them or sell them off, whatever. And IF I WERE actually building a 460 cobra kit car and could afford it, I would just bite the bullet and buy the P-51s or FRPP SCJs. Even if I had to rob a bank, come on people, its a [email protected]#$ing Cobra. Not only would it reduce weight up top, you would have a better designed better flowing head right out of the box as compared to a set of prepped and halfass ported early Iron heads. And if you get someone else to port and prep those heads, you'll be 2/3s of the way in price$$$ of the FRPP SCJs. AND with the alum head, you'll have room to grow later on.
BUT, Me not being a guzillionare. I would do the home porting using Scotties site or someone's guidance, say [email protected]#$ the hardened seats. Maybe use the D3s or a later model head With the factory harder seats ,port them, have rocker pedestals cut and worked. End up with a little less CR, (which can sometimes be a GOOD thing) Put it together and run her like its the last GD lap of the Daytona 500, give it hell and hope for the best. Either way ,good luck on your build.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Sorry guys.. been busy and havent checked on my posts. I appreciate all the suggestions. At this point, im sorta stuck between which head to go with. At this point, I do not have the money for the fancy aluminum heads. However, that may change after tax time. There are a few things that concern me with the stock heads. 1. weight 2. hardened seats 3. port work/thermactor

Given those three issues and the cost I will have into work, I should probably look for a set of SCJ aluminum heads.

We shall see. Right now I am working on the frame and running brake lines, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in