460 single or twin build - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Build Archive A place to archive DYNO or 1/4mile VERIFIED engine builds. Please post any engine tech questions to the Engine Tech forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

460 single or twin build

Ok I've been doing a lot of research and am planning on putting some parts together but thought I should post my plans to see if any of you experts see a problem. I have a 429 with d0ve heads that I'm planning on putting a stock 460 crank in with forged H beam rods and forged dish Pistons with 8.5:1 or 9:1 compression, getting a set of mid 70s truck manifolds and mounting them backwards not upside down because I know that won't work, a blow through carb I'm not sure what size I'm looking for some help on that one but to make that more difficult I haven't decided weather I'm going to run 91/93 pump gas or e85, I'm tight on space in a 69 mustang so going e85 and no intercooler would free up a lot of space. Also I have a torqer 2 intake I plan on using. As for a turbo or turbos I am thinking a s480 88mm 1.32a/r t6 but those are expensive so since I want to go as affordable as possible I might be able to fit a set of eBay gt45s in there 70mm t4s. Also I have a msd 6al2 ignition system. Any help/advice would be appreciated as I have never done a turbo build on a gas motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Not to many turbo guys on here. They are gaining popularity around my part of the country. Mostly all small blocks though.

55 ford pu 472 ported doves, lunati solid cam, c6 3000 stall 3.89 gear.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump69 View Post
Ok I've been doing a lot of research and am planning on putting some parts together but thought I should post my plans to see if any of you experts see a problem. I have a 429 with d0ve heads that I'm planning on putting a stock 460 crank in with forged H beam rods and forged dish Pistons with 8.5:1 or 9:1 compression, getting a set of mid 70s truck manifolds and mounting them backwards not upside down because I know that won't work, a blow through carb I'm not sure what size I'm looking for some help on that one but to make that more difficult I haven't decided weather I'm going to run 91/93 pump gas or e85, I'm tight on space in a 69 mustang so going e85 and no intercooler would free up a lot of space. Also I have a torqer 2 intake I plan on using. As for a turbo or turbos I am thinking a s480 88mm 1.32a/r t6 but those are expensive so since I want to go as affordable as possible I might be able to fit a set of eBay gt45s in there 70mm t4s. Also I have a msd 6al2 ignition system. Any help/advice would be appreciated as I have never done a turbo build on a gas motor.
Sounds like you have a good start. Personally if you are looking to go inexpensive I would go with the gt45's. It would be easier to route two smaller downpipes, probably 3" each, than a single 4" or larger pipe. Unless you are willing to just do a front exit. You could upgrade to a better set of T4 turbos in the future if you wanted to.

Cost wise, you do have to think about the cost of an extra wastegate(and possibly blow off valve) when figuring out if a single or twin turbo set-up would be cheaper.

Jess

'90 mustang 545, Weiand tunnel ram, Predator carbs, c-4 with brake, 4800 stall UCC, 9" 4.10 gears, 390/45r 15 drag radials, ladder bars.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I agree with jess the twins would be best for your deal...also a 750 will work in your quest as forced air carbs are not the same as a N/A carb a 650 cfm blowthrough carb will support 1000hp and a 750 around 1300hp when properly set up.

Tag and ins it's a street car, how it gets there does it really matter?

Nobody's perfect but if u drive a ford your darn close.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Here is what I'm working with, my thoughts were that there is more room in the area where the battery used to be then anywhere else I think I can mount a turbo with the exhaust housing facing the fender then cut a hole in the side of the engine bay and run the exhaust behind the fender then back into the engine bay near the firewall to the factory exhaust location or blow a hole in the fender if it won't be crazy loud, I can probably do that with twins also it will just take some more fab work on the drivers side. I can get a s480 80mm 1.32a/r t6 from a buddy for about the same price as gt45s but don't know if 80mm instead of 88mm is going to hurt me, thanks for the help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1434542034423.jpg (94.5 KB, 44 views)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

The 80mm is a borgwarner, My pic is saying I don't have permission to view it, I hope you guys do lol
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 04:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

You're a glutton for punishment!! LoL, but its cool.
I think the twins would be easier to package as well.
You will probably end up re-arranging a lot of the car to get all this to fit. If you're not very fond of those shock towers, cut em out!! Do up the whole Mustang II front end, and you'll have plenty of room.

As the world turns...I get more dizzy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in