Camshaft Choices for 460 - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Build Archive A place to archive DYNO or 1/4mile VERIFIED engine builds. Please post any engine tech questions to the Engine Tech forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Camshaft Choices for 460

Hello,
I am going be building a 460 and i cant decide on the camshaft i should to use. The engine will have DOVE heads, Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 750 Carb (or double pumper?), roller rockers, bored .030 over, and 10 to 1 compression. Itll be going in a 1990 F150 with 3.77 gears, 31 inch tires, and SROD 4 speed transmission. I have been thinking Lunati Voodoo Camshafts 10340702 and COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Camshafts 34-247-4? Thanks for any help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)

What are you going to use the truck for? Daily driver? If you are going to use it for any use other than max throttle, the Stealth intake manifold is the wrong manifold. Do a search.

Are the heads going to be ported? Big valved?

Again, your use of the truck has a lot to do with camshaft choice. As does the airflow of the heads.

The intended RPM usage of the engine has a lot to do with camshaft choice. The more RPM's your going to use, the more intake/ exhaust duration split you need what with the restrictive exhaust ports.

If I was in the market for a camshaft, I would get together with a vendor on this site and get a camshaft specific to my build.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanE View Post
What are you going to use the truck for? Daily driver? If you are going to use it for any use other than max throttle, the Stealth intake manifold is the wrong manifold. Do a search.

Are the heads going to be ported? Big valved?

Again, your use of the truck has a lot to do with camshaft choice. As does the airflow of the heads.

The intended RPM usage of the engine has a lot to do with camshaft choice. The more RPM's your going to use, the more intake/ exhaust duration split you need what with the restrictive exhaust ports.

If I was in the market for a camshaft, I would get together with a vendor on this site and get a camshaft specific to my build.
The truck will be more for fun and not a daily driver but it will be more for on the street. The heads are stock with stock valve size and not ported. And for the intake manifold,would an Edelbrock Performer work better im looking for more low end power since the truck will be for street use.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)

The Edelbrock Performer intake will work well.

Use a distributor with a proper advance curve.

Use headers with 2 1/2" duals and a "H" pipe.

Custom cam or probably the Voodoo 219*/227* cam. The reason for the custom cam would be for more exhaust duration than the Voodoo offers. The stock cam had a 13* split so as to let the cylinder pressure bleed off more due to the restrictive exhaust ports.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanE View Post
The Edelbrock Performer intake will work well.

Use a distributor with a proper advance curve.

Use headers with 2 1/2" duals and a "H" pipe.

Custom cam or probably the Voodoo 219*/227* cam. The reason for the custom cam would be for more exhaust duration than the Voodoo offers. The stock cam had a 13* split so as to let the cylinder pressure bleed off more due to the restrictive exhaust ports.
I was thinking about using 1.73 ratio rockers, how would that affect the lift of the valves? Would it be worth getting 1.73 ratio rockers?
Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in