My project 545 engine build. - 460 Ford Forum
Engine Build Archive A place to archive DYNO or 1/4mile VERIFIED engine builds. Please post any engine tech questions to the Engine Tech forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My project 545 engine build.

Starting a 460/545 stroker motor. The block I have is an early 90s efi motor with E7TE heads.
I have done some reading, so I have a few inclinations as to how the E7TE heads are regarded, but here it goes.

So far my first step is to have the block cleaned and inspected then bored .030 over.

1st off: The main caps are missing. From what I gather, the way this would be resolved is to use another set and line bore the mains oversized? What about shaving a bit off the height of the mains (.005?) Then doing a cleanup cut on them to true them up?

Secondly: The intention of this motor is a truck motor. Multiport full sequential EFI (looking at a mega squirt setup.) Will the E7TE heads work for a motor intended to spend most of it's time on the street with moderate rpm? Maybe with a small increase in valve size? Porting the exhaust a bit and port matching the intake? Any input would be appreciated before I decide to put work into heads that arent worth the effort?

Lastly any general input on what things I should consider?

I appreciate any advice, while I have some machine experience, I'm pretty new to engine building, and I could use all the advise I can get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

With 545 cubes the E7 heads are going to be a huge restriction. If your already planning on using megasquirt just use a better set of heads and pair them with the Edelbrock Victor EFI (torquer based) multiport intake instead of the stock Ford pieces.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Is there a way to open them up enough? I do machine work (non automotive) and I feel pretty confident in being able to open them up a bit, cut seats for bigger valves. I'm kinda inclined just to try. If it doesnt work out I can switch heads out later? I also have access to a flow bench to see what kind of changes I'm making.... anyone have any good reading resources or calculators on what kinds of flow numbers I would need to see?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Sure you can cut on the heads and intake to make them better but they will always be a restrictor.

As for the missing main caps it will probably be cheaper and easier to find a different block or engine vs trying to match up a set of non original main caps. A lot of shops have the ability to hone but not bore a main bore and boring may be necessary with non original main caps.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have a set of main caps off a D2VE block. PM if interest.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimL View Post
I have a set of main caps off a D2VE block. PM if interest.
I got a set a bit ago. Thanks. Going to attempt to shave and line bore it here at work.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickettoby1 View Post

As for the missing main caps it will probably be cheaper and easier to find a different block or engine vs trying to match up a set of non original main caps. A lot of shops have the ability to hone but not bore a main bore and boring may be necessary with non original main caps.
I considered looking for another block. At this point though I think I will attempt the cap cleanup myself or at least get it close enough it can be honed the remaining couple of thousandths. It may be close enough already. I haven't actually mic'ed it yet.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

For info on what you need to do to the heads and find out if they will do what you need get a hold of Scotty J the Mad Porter he has lots of knowledge on these heads and can answer your questions. Do you know that the E7 heads won't take a aftermarket intake only the factory one? I believe that you can use and aftermarket intake but it must be modified to fit. NOT a bolt on. Hope this helps....Good luck....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in