WTB 272 or 292 Y block - 460 Ford Forum
The Auction Block Buy, Sell, Trade your parts and pieces!!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

WTB 272 or 292 Y block

I have decided to put a more original motor back in my 55 sunliner so I am looking for a 272 or 292,for those who are not familar with those motors they were made from 55 to 64. 272s were used in cars from 55 and 56 and trucks from 56? to 58 and the 292s were used in cars from 55 to 62 and from 59 to 64 in trucks,with what I know now I wish I would of kept the original motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Engine Masters Competition featured Ted Eaton's 375 c.i. Y-Block, so they can be improved upon to be performance and reliable.

I would recommend trying to find a '57-'64 292 block to start with, along with a '57 -59 ECZ-G or 113 Heads to have decent compression. Skip a 272 if you can. They can be made into a 292 easy though. Stroke kits are availbe for 292 to make them work much better. Its just like stroking a 460 as bigger is always going to be better in the end.

Start watching the Y-Blockfoever forum to get some ideas to make it run good, so you enjoy it as well.

If you tell everyone you know you are looking for a Y-block they will start showing up for you. They have a ton of character and will be worth all the effort in the end

69 Mach1 R -Code 428 CJ,Red 4spd
69 Talladega 428 CJ,Maroon
69 Boss 429 Mustang
70 Torino Cobra 429 SCJ 4spd 4:30 Drag Pack
69 Bronco 5.0 F.I.
57 Ford, VR57 Supercharged 312
57 Ranch Wagon 5.0 AOD
57 Ford Courier Delivery
57 Ranchero VR57 Supercharged 312
57 Thunderbird, 460/C6
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

One for sell here in utah, if you want I will send you the contact info to seller.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Jeff, aren't you on the H.A.M.B. under that user name as well?

I simply put a "Looking for...." in my signature line there, and ended up with more Y stuff then I knew what to do with. Since it's a traditional web site, it would be a good place to look. (On the other hand, I probably wouldn't try looking for a QFT carb or a Victor Jr. there...)

I have a running Y block that could go, but IL is probably a bit far for you to drive to buy it....there's surely some closer to you.

Mike

IN: Staring adversity in the face while working on your car and coming out on top

OUT: Finally realizing that every $%&# thing you touch on your car turns to adversity
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I am on the HAMB too and will put it in my signiture,I have found a couple motors locally but they think they are gold and I would like to buy a running car so I can hear the motor run plus be able to start it up now and then. I might have to go a couple hundred miles to get one but I need to put a timing chain and new front tires on my truck before I go but it will be when it gets warmer as my good truck is apart in the garge for paint and cant move it right now.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Don't overlook older boats as some of them had y-blocks also. I have one with the dual side draft carbs and actually ran pretty good the last time it was ran.. Pretty cool with the jet behind it even though its pretty heavy overall.. Just another place to look is all..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in