Needed to buy - 460 Ford Forum
The Auction Block Buy, Sell, Trade your parts and pieces!!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Needed to buy

BBF drive mandrel to fit 3 hole ATI super damper

Rick Brown
(LIL TWEETY) BBF 62 Falcon Tube Chassis
Member of a BAND OF BROTHERS

Pro Motion Machining
Perfect Reflections Photography
Bronx Corner Automotive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

come on guy's,somebody has too know of one somewhere. I have been told that one for a BBC will fit.

Rick Brown

Pro Motion Machining
Bronx Corner Automotive
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 08:49 PM

jones racings has nice mandrels

http://www.jonesracingproducts.com/

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 10:38 PM

YES -A BB CHEVY pattern (spacing) will fit but the design of a bb fords balancer bolt can stop you from just bolting on a standard BBC mandrel flat up against the ati dampner.
In other words the chevy mandrel may not be machined deep enough for the balancer bolt.
the easy fix is a spacer or to sandwich a crank trigger wheel between mandrel and balancer might give the clearance needed.

PERSONALLY i would steer clear of the mandrels that use a looong bolt through the whole deal like the moroso design and find one that locks down via the balancer pattern and retains a std type balancer bolt. - just my opinion

If you want the nicest stuff call peterson and get the tech guy to put you together a kit - the spline drive stuff is nice as you can turn the motor forward or backward cause it's nut runs on the splines not the balancer bolt threads!

CV PRODUCTS HAS A TWIN PIN TYPE stuff
AEROSPACE,MOROSO,INNOVATORS WEST,ENDERLE,CPP,RONS,AND MANY MORE HAVE MANDRELS.

Ironically i just went through the opposite deal as you as i had a motor that had the three bolt BBC type mandrel on a ati dampner and when the motor was gone through i switched the balancer to one of them shiney innovators west dampners from lem - so we made a spacer to bolt to the 4 bolt inn. west dampner with tappered countersunk bolts then tapped & helicoiled the 3 bolt pattern in the spacer for the mandrel we already were using. - which by the way was a bolaws (BLP) mandrel which is a nice deal to
as the keyway runs the length of the mandrel and the capnut catches the keyway so again the motor can be turn forward or backward without worrying about loosening the bolt!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1961GALAXIE View Post
YES -A BB CHEVY pattern (spacing) will fit but the design of a bb fords balancer bolt can stop you from just bolting on a standard BBC mandrel flat up against the ati dampner.
In other words the chevy mandrel may not be machined deep enough for the balancer bolt.
the easy fix is a spacer or to sandwich a crank trigger wheel between mandrel and balancer might give the clearance needed.

PERSONALLY i would steer clear of the mandrels that use a looong bolt through the whole deal like the moroso design and find one that locks down via the balancer pattern and retains a std type balancer bolt. - just my opinion

If you want the nicest stuff call peterson and get the tech guy to put you together a kit - the spline drive stuff is nice as you can turn the motor forward or backward cause it's nut runs on the splines not the balancer bolt threads!

CV PRODUCTS HAS A TWIN PIN TYPE stuff
AEROSPACE,MOROSO,INNOVATORS WEST,ENDERLE,CPP,RONS,AND MANY MORE HAVE MANDRELS.

Ironically i just went through the opposite deal as you as i had a motor that had the three bolt BBC type mandrel on a ati dampner and when the motor was gone through i switched the balancer to one of them shiney innovators west dampners from lem - so we made a spacer to bolt to the 4 bolt inn. west dampner with tappered countersunk bolts then tapped & helicoiled the 3 bolt pattern in the spacer for the mandrel we already were using. - which by the way was a bolaws (BLP) mandrel which is a nice deal to
as the keyway runs the length of the mandrel and the capnut catches the keyway so again the motor can be turn forward or backward without worrying about loosening the bolt!
Thx,good info

Rick Brown

Pro Motion Machining
Bronx Corner Automotive
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1961GALAXIE View Post

So you're saying to just buy the mandrel (aka pulley)for a BBC, only use the 3 bolts to hold the pulley to the damper, and drill the center hole large enough for the bolt head/washer to fit through the pulley so it (the bolt) only holds the damper to the crank and not the pulley to damper to crank, correct?

1969 Mustang Fastback - stock 1968 460 with carb/intake/cam/headers - 12.12 @ 112 on 17" drag radials
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

No,he's saying to stay away from the type that bolts on w/just the center bolt , and use the one that bolts too the 3 balancer holes,and I agree w/him.

Rick Brown

Pro Motion Machining
Bronx Corner Automotive
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFmavrick View Post
No,he's saying to stay away from the type that bolts on w/just the center bolt , and use the one that bolts too the 3 balancer holes,and I agree w/him.

10-4
But keep in mind you want a setup that also registers the mandrel and or spacer/adapter on center with the balancer so it is not just relying on the bolts only to keep it centered.

On the reverse engineered spacer we made it had a machined lip on it just like the protruding lip on a balancer that centers the mandrel or a pulley in oem configurations.

Worth noting - peterson -ati-jones +others have spacers & adapters with registering capabilities.

THX - STEVE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in