Anybody Have a Junk 429 or 460 Block 4 Sale? - 460 Ford Forum
The Auction Block Buy, Sell, Trade your parts and pieces!!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anybody Have a Junk 429 or 460 Block 4 Sale?

Does anybody have a junk, blown-up, cracked, or damaged 429 or 460 block they want to get rid of (or sell super cheap)? I have to cut the front half off of the block so I can mount it on my milling machine. What I plan on doing is using the digital readout on the milling machine to find the centers of all the holes. I work at a machine shop and I am planning on making my own accessory brackets and want to do it right the first time. I live in Clifton, New Jersey and can travel a little to pickup. This was the first place I thought of looking!! Thanks!! Wayne
E-Mail is: fordtrknut - at - A0L.COM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 01:42 PM

Sure!! Got one you can have...FREE BEE!!!! Unfortunately, zip is 49220. If you are doing Hot Rod Power Tour, I can throw it in your trunk when you are leaving Detroit.

Good luck with your search.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTruckNut View Post
Does anybody have a junk, blown-up, cracked, or damaged 429 or 460 block they want to get rid of (or sell super cheap)? I have to cut the front half off of the block so I can mount it on my milling machine. What I plan on doing is using the digital readout on the milling machine to find the centers of all the holes. I work at a machine shop and I am planning on making my own accessory brackets and want to do it right the first time. I live in Clifton, New Jersey and can travel a little to pickup. This was the first place I thought of looking!! Thanks!! Wayne
E-Mail is: fordtrknut - at - A0L.COM
Why a block ? get the bolt hole/seal centers from a timing cover . Seems they bolt right up to a 429/460 block

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
Why a block ? get the bolt hole/seal centers from a timing cover . Seems they bolt right up to a 429/460 block
Some of the holes are in the block and heads.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 11:40 PM

WHat kind of brackets are you making?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 12:14 PM

most of the brackets uses the holes in the head not to many holes on the front of the block to use may want to whack a set of heads as well
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Re:Anybody Have a Junk 429 or 460 Block 4 Sale?

I am plan on making a true "Reverse Rotation" waterpump using a single flat belt. I also plan on making a bracket assembly that has a P/S Pump, 130 amp Alterenator, "York Style" A/C Pump for A/C, and a "York Style" A/C Pump for On Board Air. I want a single belt setup like most all vehicles use today.

I plan on getting an Edelbrock waterpump and hogging out the back like the boat waterpumps use. I'll have a local waterpump rebuilder install a standard boat brass impeller which is uni-directional (See attached picture). There is/was a boat company called OMC which made a boat with twin 460's. One ran Clockwise and One ran Counter Clockwise. I have a new waterpump and used cast iron timing chain cover/water pump backing plate from one of these boats. It even has a Ford Casting number on it, which I don't recall right now. The problem with the boat waterpump is that it does not fit a standard Ford 460 timing chain cover. The profile on the lower portion is different by a little (will not seal at all). There are also missing bolt hole bosses which the standard car/truck brackets mount to. It also does not have provisions for the heater hose.

The reason I need the block is that a need the relationship to the timing chain cover/water pump backing plate to the bolt hole on the passenger side. I have a set of heads which were scrapped at a local engine rebuilder which he gave me. They are cracked and I will cut these also. It makes it so much easier for me to measure the block and heads when I can mount it on the milling machine. The block and heads are way to high to fit under the spindle using a "Pointed" edge finder.

What I am doing will be going in my daily driver 1979 F350 crewcab.

If wish I knew someone who worked at a foundy casting parts. They can make a mold and then make the "Reverse Rotation" water pump castings for me. I can then machine them and sell them to all the Ford Big Block Fans. Anybody work at a foundy and have a cool boss who will let you do it for cost? My boss is cool and allows me to use the old Milling machine with the CNC add-on (Proto-Trak Plus). I made a bracket assembly for my brothers 1977 Chevy Monza which will have a Small block and twin turbo's. We are almost done with that, so I want to change my truck. The L&L "V-Belt" pullies I have on there now are worn out. The belts are new and sit all the way at the bottom of the groove, because the aluminum on the sides of the "V" are work down.

If anybody has any ideas or words of caution......please let me know.

Thanks!!

Wayne (Clifton, NJ)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OMC460.JPG (35.6 KB, 30 views)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 05:57 PM

WoW that is a truely great idea...I will ask around and see what I can dig up....I would really be interested in one of the set ups if you get it done. gee if I find the block do I get a dicount...lol
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Re: Anybody Have a Junk 429 or 460 Block 4 Sale?

You sure can have a discount when I finish. I see that it will be a lot of work for me, but it should make for a better accessory package. After I make all the parts I will have to test it in my everyday driver. I work an hour everyday before work actually starts.....at work....doing little projects. I am making the setup for a 1979 F-Series Pickup, so if you have a car I will design something at a later date. I am going to the Bloomsburg 4 Wheel and Offroad Jamboree on July 8th, 9th, and 10th. If someone has a block I can pick it up there.

I have attached a picture which shows the front of the pump. Look at the two and you can see a few missing bosses for tapped holes and the missing water hose outlet.

If you have questions let me know.

Wayne (Clifton, NJ)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 460Pumps.JPG (56.0 KB, 25 views)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 08:49 PM

I kind of took a liking to the 460s dual micro V belt setup

has to lose both belts to stop the water pump

plus it uses off the shelf any parts store will have in case of pump failure when traveling

my 79 dually currently runs the dual micro V's has A/C P/S Alt and I am building a passenger side bracket to accept both the alt and a OBA setup to be driven off the alt belt and will try to incorp a auto tension as well for that belt

remember if you decide to keep moving forward t make sure you make room for the steering box

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Re: Anybody Have A Junk 429 or 460 Block 4 Sale?

InfoFord......I agree that using off the shelf parts is a good idea. By modifing the water pump it will be impossible for me to get a part right away if I break down. I plan on making 3 pumps right off the bat. The local rebuilder can do it while I wait, as long as its not on a Saturday. I already have the brackets that you use on your truck, which mine are from a 1990's F350 4x4 (or van....I forget) with a 460 (See attached picture). I know I could swap the A/C pump to one of the later types, but I think the York type is more durable. I also want to mount the P/S pump away from the PS Box, like you have noted. I know that the P/S Pump is close to the P/S Box on my other 1979 F350 Regular cab using the L&L stuff. As soon as I get the junk block I can measure the dimensions between the block, heads, etc. In the meantime I will measure the timing chain cover (as 2Slow has stated) and start drawing the P/S Pump, York A/C Pump, Etc for use in my solid modeling program (Inventor 2011). I have the Raceway Park Automotive Swapmeet in Englishtown, New Jersey this upcoming weekend (April 15th, 16th, and 17th) so hopefully I'll find a cheap 429 or 460 to slice and dice it up. Anyway....Take care and thanks for the words of wisdom!! Wayne (Clifton, NJ)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Factory-1990s-Ford-Truck-460.jpg (84.4 KB, 35 views)
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 09:28 PM

how much do you want for the pwr steering pump and its bracket in your photo

to put a serp pulley on the york compressor napa # TEM 948435

Last edited by InfoFord; 04-13-2011 at 09:31 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Trent, I am going to hang onto the mount until I finish a complete setup. Once everything fits and I test it I'll sell it. I don't know how much, but it will be cheap.....maybe you can just pay for shipping. I think I paid around 20 bucks for all the brackets. You get first crack at it for sure. Thanks also for the Napa number for the clutch pulley for the York. Thanks and talk to you later! Wayne
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 07:17 AM

block

Did you find a block yet ? I race at raceway park ,and I think I may have something you may be interesed in ? Lmk

07 S&W 4link dragster 6.88 @192.83 (.999- 60' ) and 00 undercover 4 link dragster [email protected]
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

I posted a video of what I have done so far on Youtube. Check it out at: http://youtu.be/yCDaKjTJdTc Thanks!! Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in