C6 vibration and delay in D/R - 460 Ford Forum
The Auction Block Buy, Sell, Trade your parts and pieces!!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

C6 vibration and delay in D/R

I been having a vibration issue in P/N between 1500-2000 rpm which seems to be related to my C6, either by flexplate or converter, for I have removed all pulleys from engine and changed harmonic balancer with no change in vibration. I rebuilt the engine and trans back in '91 but the vehicle sat for many years until 2012 when I finished the restoration and put my Ranchero back on the road. The 472/C6 ran and shifted very well with no issues up until about a year ago when the slight vibration started, seemed to be getting worse. This past week took the vehicle out for a drive and noticed a slight surge between 30-45mph in high gear with light pedal, took this as a carb issue since I have been tuning by use of wideband even though the AFR's looked good at 13.7-14.0. I drove to my buddy's place(he owns a 4x4/driveline shop) and spoke to him on what he thought the vibration culprit could be. We discussed balancer/pulleys then engine/trans mounts then on to the converter. I attempted to leave his place and once I started engine and placed trans in R I had to rev the engine a bit to move(it never did this before, once started and placed into D/R the action was instant) it almost feels now like I had to wait for the converter to fill up or it was low on fluid. I checked fluid(type F) and it was clean with no signs of being burnt(looks or smells) and it was to the full mark. I also looked for any signs of leaking or broken line/fitting and found none. My buddy then said it is now more possible for my issues to be converter related(vibration/delayed engagement)I restarted the engine and placed it into reverse and it seemed better but still not an instant positive engagement, but had to get it home. I tested the trans by doing a little hard acceleration and it felt fine no slipping, but on the way home I still felt the surge at 30-45 mph with light pedal. Line pressures have been on the high side since installing valve body mods and it did shift good on my way home. I decided to remove trans, to check flexplate for cracks(vibration) and to have front pump looked at and install a different converter. When I removed converter from trans(on level ground) almost no fluid came out while converter was vertical, like the converter was less than 1/2 full, is this a sign of an internal issue? I vertically hung the trans so I could easily remove the front pump, the front pump gears/housing looked good as did the inside of the trans with very little color in pan(very faint dark color) the fluid was cherry red, there was a slight bit of wear on the converter bushing in the pump. Could this be a drain back valve issue within the stator(delayed action when placed into D/R gear), or could it be something else, I have heard these can give problems but have seen no images of it or exactly where it is located? I wanted a different stall converter anyhow, but now this issue has me concerned of the overall health of this trans. Is there a way to check the drain back valve while removed and on the bench? Please advise if there is and any other things I need to look at while trans is out. Thank you in advance. Todd

www.supermotors.net/22468

Yeah, it's a hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks somebody, somewhere is tired of her sh#t.

Last edited by aquartlow; 06-21-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Could a moderator move this thread to the general tech section, I screwed up and posted this here. I apologize.

Now upon opening up my valve body I believe I found at least one culprit to the delayed shift issue, maybe you can spot it as well.

Looks like the separator plate was shot with a .22, not sure why or how the check ball was pushed through the plate, would a check valve be better than the check ball? Thank you in advance. Hopefully this thread can be moved.

www.supermotors.net/22468

Yeah, it's a hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks somebody, somewhere is tired of her sh#t.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in