C6 overdrive conversion...Is it really woth it? - Page 2 - 460 Ford Forum
General Tech A place to discuss general tech regarding chassis, transmission, tires, suspension, non-460, etc

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I used to have a problem with blowing out gaskets on the 460 in my 70 Cougar. I used the Percy's Seal-4-Good and they've been in there for at least 50,000 miles and 9 years.

Is a metal shim gasket what is appropriate for this application?

Not sure if you'd want to use an insulating type of gasket. The exhaust manifold is cooled by transfering it's heat to the head. Probably be best to do whatever possible to keep the exhaust from glowing red. I've seen enough bunrt up RV's on the side of the road.

Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
North Adams, Massachusetts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

You do not want to double stack the composite type gaskets, or it will blow them out even easier than it did the first one.
Lots of manifolds dont even have a gasket from the factory. Just have the mating surface of the manifold resurfaced and spray some copper coat gasket spray on it and bolt it on.

As the world turns...I get more dizzy!
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 01:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

gaskets

Hey guys those metal backed gaskets come in the gasket kits,thats what i put on my motor home,worked so far might try the copper stuff next time [BUT} thats not what i use on my fairlane but theres room to to do alittle different there ,but not on that damn motor home nothing is easy to get to oops take that back remove dog house and can get to back 4 spark plugs. Bill

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to crittersf1 Send a message via MSN to crittersf1 Send a message via Yahoo to crittersf1
Re-surface the manifold, take the new gasket and throw it away, coat the manifold with clear silicone and bolt it up. Leak is gone!

If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space!
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

YIKES!!
The passenger side head is cracked. The mechanic showed me the crack. Worse he will not do the work as he said 460"s in a dog house do not get appropriate cooling and he could not give a warranty.
He did install a small plate that acted as a butterfly clip. Across the cracked section of the head. He said it will be enough to get the RV into another mechanic but not to consider a trip over 40-50 miles.
So, now I know what needs repaired. The big question is what products to use and how to avoid this from happening again.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstEliminator View Post
I used to have a problem with blowing out gaskets on the 460 in my 70 Cougar. I used the Percy's Seal-4-Good and they've been in there for at least 50,000 miles and 9 years.

Not sure if you'd want to use an insulating type of gasket. The exhaust manifold is cooled by transfering it's heat to the head. Probably be best to do whatever possible to keep the exhaust from glowing red. I've seen enough bunrt up RV's on the side of the road.

Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
Thanks Mark.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstEliminator View Post

Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
I have heard that Percy's Seal-4-Good is very good stuff.
Thank You.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 06:14 PM

I have a Gear Vendors in my pickup that I tow my 32 ft fifth wheel and I do love it but whether or not it's worth the investment is another issue. In my case I have a New Process 4 speed manual transmission so the Gear Vendors is a big help pulling hills in "3rd over". In my opinion you'll never recover your investment by fuel mileage. If you plan on keeping the RV for a few years it kind of amortizes out to where it isn't that bad and I think you would be happy with the performance but whether or not it's worth it is something only you can decide. If I had to do it again I think I would do it the same.

Ron
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlzegers View Post
I have a Gear Vendors in my pickup that I tow my 32 ft fifth wheel and I do love it but whether or not it's worth the investment is another issue. In my case I have a New Process 4 speed manual transmission so the Gear Vendors is a big help pulling hills in "3rd over". In my opinion you'll never recover your investment by fuel mileage. If you plan on keeping the RV for a few years it kind of amortizes out to where it isn't that bad and I think you would be happy with the performance but whether or not it's worth it is something only you can decide. If I had to do it again I think I would do it the same.

Ron
Thanks for the insight.
I have other issues now to correct that will prohibit me from getting a Gear Vendor unit.

I have to find a way to get cool air to the rear of the 460 motor in the dog house. That is where all the damage is occuring.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

trip

Thats it now no trip to canada or alaska sorry forgot where u were going . [don`t know for sure thats what caused a crack in the head][ can maybe see a cracked manifold] but that dog house setup has been around a long time the air it gets is pushed thru and around into the dog house from the front maybe some from underneath as far as insulation mostly to keep engine heat out of cab.Just my thoughts don`t claim to know everything. LOL Bill
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitor View Post
Thank You Bill.
I suspect if anything, the manifold may be warped.
I will have the mechanic get asbestos gaskets. or double up a stock set.
Thanks again.
i know im late but i just got on this and was reading through. did you end up buying the materials from ebay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in