help with brakes - 460 Ford Forum
General Tech A place to discuss general tech regarding chassis, transmission, tires, suspension, non-460, etc

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

help with brakes

I finally got new wheels on my 65 f100. disk brakes up front and drums in back. There has always been noise from rear drivers side and the wheels has a lot of resistance when trying to spin by hand. I took the drum off today and a few small springs fell out as well as the pice in the picture attached that looks mangled. Can someone tell me what this is? I took all the brake peices out and put wheels back on thinking the other wheels will do fine braking for now. but now i have a very soft pedal and brake fluid all over that tire. need help. I have never rebuilt drum brakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5911.jpg (62.0 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolz View Post
I finally got new wheels on my 65 f100. disk brakes up front and drums in back. There has always been noise from rear drivers side and the wheels has a lot of resistance when trying to spin by hand. I took the drum off today and a few small springs fell out as well as the pice in the picture attached that looks mangled. Can someone tell me what this is? I took all the brake peices out and put wheels back on thinking the other wheels will do fine braking for now. but now i have a very soft pedal and brake fluid all over that tire. need help. I have never rebuilt drum brakes.
You're right; you'll need help. Ford calls that piece in the photo "link". It's part of the parking brake mechanism. It looks like it will require a replacement part. Try to get someone who's familiar with the brakes to help you or get an image or exploded view of the brakes so you can get everything put back together correctly. If there's fluid on the tire it's likely leaking from the cylinder. Don't drive the vehicle with faulty brakes. Next time when you're unfamiliar with something make photographs before disassembly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in