The token noob - 460 Ford Forum
General Tech A place to discuss general tech regarding chassis, transmission, tires, suspension, non-460, etc

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage
The token noob

Quick rundown(kind of! lol)

I'm a 39 year old single father. I acquired my maternal grandfather's 1987, F-250, 4x2, auto with the 7.5L 460. This legend has seen nearly 350,00 miles across this great nation, but mostly from the St. Louis-ish area to Gulf Shores and back, towing a 5th wheel camper. I was happy to inherit it based on my appreciation for sentimental things vs the money some would sell them for. Fast forward to how I ended up writing this, it's been sitting for 5 years until this past March, at which point, sick of seeing her sit, I started to dragged her out of the snowbank, clean her up, replaced the front tank fuel pump, patched the tank, and actually got her running. Recently she stopped again. I'm at a loss, but messed with the timing some today. Im pretty handy mechanically and know my way around a garage. Im lost on the carb no matter how much research I do. I KNOW it's a 4180. But I have SOOOO many questions about the whole thing, and unfortunately, living in upstate NY, I never expected to end up with this truck from the western Illinois border. Therefore, I never thought to ask my grandfather all the questions I have now. Such as why it appears the oil filter relocating bracket(?) appears to have two plugged spots that lines might have gone in, or how important the smog pump was, or if I can swap to a 4160 and remove a good portion of the crazy vacuum mess since Im nowhere NEAR Cali lmao.... ANYWAYS.....HERE I AM! Thank you for having me! I promise to try and search for most of my answers before continually posting the same questions you have all seen a gazillion times!!! I PROMISE LOL. However, if anyone has a KNOWN link to some great info on this specific year and make's engine setup(and possibly info on the entire specific model of truck) that would be f*ck*n SPECTACULAR!! I havent' read MUCH on here YET, as I just stumbled across this page on a Google search earlier for 'timing' lol. Thank you for accepting me, I expect to be a decent fit. And I appreciate the chance to soak up all the info you awesome people provide!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ferd.jpg (76.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Fred.jpg (81.2 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)

Kashiss,one question...Is the comma in the wrong place or are you missing a zero? OK,technically two questions.35,000 or 350,000 miles?Decent old truck though. Don't see any rust so it must have wintered down south.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thermod, good catch, I just saw it myself trying to make sure I actually posted this right lol. It SHOULD read 350,000 miles. And yes, my grandparents were snowbirds, wintering in the south at Gulf Shores. I've done my best to take decent care of it back here in good old upstate NY, where we use salt. Although, being 2wd, she isn't a very logical choice in the winter weather so luckily she doesn't see daily driving in salted conditions. It's just frustrating to get so much info, and have much of it conflict with each other. Leaves me more questions than I started with. And considering my first ever auto was an '84 Ranger, with a 2.8L carbed V6 with 180k when I got it, and kept running, I have a fraction of comprehension of older engines, even if 99% of my last 20 years has been on fuel injected and electronic ignitioned machines. I figure this forum will be a great start towards getting a full scope of the ins and outs of this engine, block, and components. Just sucks wanting to know it all, YESTERDAY! lol....

thanks for you reply! I look forward to expanding my knowledge base

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)

https://www.460ford.com/forum/37-eng...-86-460-a.html

The plugged holes in the oil filter adapter are for the oil cooler which you don't have.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That link was an incredible read, thank you!! I figured they were for something like that. My grandfather towed a lot so I just couldn't see why he would have removed anything that would help keep things cooler, so I'm taking your statement as tho this truck did not come factory with that. I am getting ready to replace the water pump so I'm going to inspect the timing chain while I'm that far into it, I have a feeling it wont hurt to replace it. And then I will at least be sure that I wont have to worry about that for the next few projects with her(carb, exhaust work, etc). Thermod, I appreciate your time.

Quick question, how do I subscribe to this(or any) thread so I get notifications about it? lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in