1971 f350 dually AFR 545ci build - Page 2 - 460 Ford Forum
Car Buildup Forum A place to detail your car build and chronicle your progress as you put together your BBF powered vehicle.

User Tag List

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbro1275 View Post
Heck of a job there young man! Keep the pics comin!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgfg View Post
Nice work, Looking at the pics of your oil pan, if you leave the pick-up where it is you might have some issues. The pick up should be 3/8" off the bottom of the pan. In the pics it looks like it's an 1" off the bottom!!!! Just a heads up.
You know, I was wondering about that.i asked my engine guy and he said I needed to be pretty close, told him it was about an inch off bottom and he didn't seem to be concerned. I will trim it by 1". That will put the pickup right at stock local. Thanks for the heads up.

For my knowledge base, does the 1"+ off bottom cause it to lose prime, or is it that the oil sloshes away from pickup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1971 View Post
Thank you

You know, I was wondering about that.i asked my engine guy and he said I needed to be pretty close, told him it was about an inch off bottom and he didn't seem to be concerned. I will trim it by 1". That will put the pickup right at stock local. Thanks for the heads up.

For my knowledge base, does the 1"+ off bottom cause it to lose prime, or is it that the oil sloshes away from pickup?
I know if the pick up sucks air that could be bad because you will lose oil pressure in the engine. Even for a few seconds that could be a bad thing. Usually they put a ball of clay on the pick up and then install the pan, then take it off an measure the thickness of the clay. I was always told 3/8" was the max it should be off the bottom of the pan. Now you might say no big deal but going up a steep hill could uncover the pick up either fully or partly which could be really bad plus I believe that it could aerate the oil which again isn't good. I'd e-mail Lem at B.F. Evan's and and verify it with him he get pans custom made and would know more about it than me. One last thing make sure you test the pan to hold water after all that welding no matter how good it looks it still could leak, better to find out now before it goes on the finished engine.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info. I leak tested it with solvent but will have to do it again now. I'm just gonna heed your warning and take out an inch from bottom, that will put it right close, I'll gauge it. It will still be 8 quart pan. Won't take but a minute.

Last edited by Fordman1971; 04-05-2018 at 06:19 AM.

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

I don’t have pics loaded. I’ve went a long way on this build. The cab turned out being a nightmare of a rust bucket. About done with that now. After all the fixing I Had to pull the roof skin....can’t find a repop of it so I’ll have to fab the complete 1 1/2” band around the front and sides, the back belt is salvageable, thank the good lord.

Engine is all there in my little climate controlled “engine shop”. Yet to be assembled...waiting until I get cab work finished then I’ll drop back assemble the engine and install it first then the cab. Lot easier that way. My E4od is rebuilt and ready for install, ordered a billet input shaft for it. Thankfully my cousin knows a thing or two and advised me that if I’m making 750 lbs. torque @ 3800 rpm then I’d be wise to do so.

Bed is done, one side mostly rough muddled in, decided to finish truck, get in epoxy primer then do body work as a complete truck. This way I’ll get to drive it before I’m an old man....

The worst part ahead is I’m gonna have to flare the front fenders 2-3” for the wider front wheels and build a hood scoop to....should be down hill from there.

I’ll work on getting pics uploaded.

Question, on the hood scoop, should I make it functional. It will be the rear facing type, not ram type. It would help with cooling I imagine at speed, but will it fog my window, anything like that. Prolly not a smart question, but I don’t want anything negative about the cruising experience afte4 all this work. Thanks

Last edited by Fordman1971; 12-24-2017 at 09:00 AM.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This thing is pretty cool I can't wait to see how it turns out. Nice job on the detail work keep it up
Fordman1971 likes this.
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Without pix it didn;t happen. Pls more pix.
Fordman1971 and rbro1275 like this.
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickupTrucker View Post
This thing is pretty cool I can't wait to see how it turns out. Nice job on the detail work keep it up
Thanks, Iím pumped to. Been really busy, progress has slowed but I believe some free time is on the horizon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowney View Post
Without pix it didn;t happen. Pls more pix.

I will I will....one of those things I hate. Gotta upload to bucket first.

I havenít looked at this thread in a long time.
Smactek likes this.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

You have REALLY come a LONG way with this build and I applaud your ingenuity and willingness to share specifics on your build. This is a well documented effort that will obviously prove very helpful to others who may undertake a similar project.

THANKS for sharing and I truly look forward to seeing the completed truck!

~BT
Fordman1971 likes this.

Do the right thing!
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Pictures

Please do post pictures when you can, Also some final engine specs would be great. Love this build.
Fordman1971 likes this.

524 CID. 4.3 x 4.400, D20E Heads per Reincarnation Illustrations, 10.5 to 1, Icon & Scat Forgings. in a Hondo Pantera Jet.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Ok, Iím gonna get serious about the pics. Started back working on it a little lately. Iím on the doors.....replacing the entire bottoms and passenger side had been wrecked and bondoed. Had a skin and the side convex portion doesnít match the original. Will make that piece by hand.

Appreciate the interest and Iíll get on top of updating the thread in honor of that.
Smactek likes this.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Gotten lots done. Basically all paint, assemble, interior and wiring left to do. Iíve got pics but organization is lacking and sure I missed a bunch.

post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Had to remove roof skin, rotted all the way around so I deleted drip rails, treated everything I possibly could that was hidden under roof.

Here I matched the side panel to door lines

New cab corners both sides

Doors needed bottoms, and passenger side had been in accident, it had 1/2Ē bondo on it so I had to correct that as best I could.

post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

I cleaned up the firewall of holes, new floor boards made by me, corners, cowl delete cuz I had to cut vents out to get inside cowl to clean up, treat and paint with por-15....I dunno, there is lot more I just donít have enough pics but Iím sure glad that itís done. This is pic of the blasting.

Epoxy primed

Lizard skin sound deadener

Put cab on, mocked it up to get front tires sized up. Decided to go with much smaller tire rather than do fender mods.

post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Here I tore it back apart after running engine, bucket doesn’t support video now so I can’t show y’all the running. It was typical....fired right up but I do have a rear main seal leak. I was real diligent in doing that seal except I forgot to do the main cap to block surface with sealer. Also it has the small tire but forgot to pic it before disassembly.

Pic won’t load right.....

Random pic I came across,

Last edited by Fordman1971; 06-05-2018 at 07:39 AM.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

I have more engine pics but photobucket is a pita and Iím out of time to mess with it.

Give me an opinion....silver or that old original blue/ turquoise color?

Iíll be continuing my documentation, but sure it will be slow with all the paint work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in