Let's build a 3 window Deuce - Page 4 - 460 Ford Forum
Car Buildup Forum A place to detail your car build and chronicle your progress as you put together your BBF powered vehicle.

User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

So since the last post I've found out a few things
The PO might have owned a tape measure, but didn't use it well. The triangulated 4 link brackets were off, but after removing the body I found out why. No matter what I measured it all came back wrong. Finally measured the frame diagonally and it started making sense. The frame is racked (3/8-1/2") and all the bracket locations were to try to compensate. Figured it's best to cut it all out and start over, so out came the cutoff wheel and sawzall. When I made the last cut on the center x-member I heard that "tink" sound and knew the frame was under tension. Re-measured and it came back about 1/4", but it went to the body shop so it can be racked on the frame machine and straightened.
Changed direction on the rear suspension as I've always had doubts about trying to run decent HP through a non-adjustable triangulated setup. Going with an adjustable parallel 4 link when it goes back together. The car's purpose has changed a bit since it's become clear street duty will be REALLY limited, so why make so many compromises? Won't turn that well, but now I'll be able to tune the rear suspension to get a better launch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

This is a lesson to all of us. There is always a reason for an unfinished project and it's often not, "I have too many projects." There is a problem and the PO is unable or unwilling to fix it. Caveat Emptor (let the buyer beware) so value these things accordingly.
Good that you have the skills to overcome the PO's errors.
post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Out with the old, in with the new. A minor diversion that will give more adjustability and (hopefully) launch better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4link3.jpg (74.6 KB, 17 views)

post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

There you go, now build a cage with plenty of bars to keep you safe in that paper mache body. That thing is gonna be an animal!!!

80 Fairmont wagon, 528, Blue Thunder heads on E-85. Just a brutal street car
post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
There you go, now build a cage with plenty of bars to keep you safe in that paper mache body. That thing is gonna be an animal!!!
That's the plan! I've designed a double hoop roll cage (think funny car style) to keep me safe. As long as it goes straight, hooks up and stays on 4 wheels I'm happy.
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)

As projects go,when there's no light at the end of the tunnel,one tends to pick away at things. When you see a faint glimmer,the pace picks up and the enjoyment level rises. Are you at that stage yet? I hope so cause I want to see the videos!!! Nice work!
post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermod View Post
As projects go,when there's no light at the end of the tunnel,one tends to pick away at things. When you see a faint glimmer,the pace picks up and the enjoyment level rises. Are you at that stage yet? I hope so cause I want to see the videos!!! Nice work!
Short answer is yes and no. In setting up the 4 link (frame still isn't back) I'm seeing things that need to be modified because of another change being required.
For instance, just last night I was trying to visualize the driveshaft movement and suspension articulation. Looks like I need to add a driveshaft hoop into the crossmember for clearance on compression. So THAT also means I need to pook that hoop up through the floor..... right where the inner seat brackets would be. So THAT means I will have to redesign the inner seat mounts with tabs on the topside of the hoop. It also means since I decided to use a wishbone locator instead of panhard, the center heim (mounting it on top and "backwards") will need to be changed from what I'd planned.
At this point I'm wondering if I'll be able to keep the Deuce rails and also seeing why I've never seen anyone try this before.
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)

Yeah...on a deal like yours,there's a lot of "sizing up" to do and a lot of times,the sizing up you do today doesn't match up too good with what you sized up before.Put your engineering cap on. You will figure it out.
post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

The shop is done with the frame and what they found explains a lot. First, I have no history on this frame as I bought the project assembled. Don't know who boxed the frame or the manufacturer, though the PO said it was a TCI (thinking that's BS now).
The right rail had more bow than the left (likely from boxing), so not only was it racked, the right side was shorter than the left as well. Had it on the frame rack for about 3 hours and when the excess bow was taken out it was only racked an 1/8". It was then squared and leveled, so I'm told it's now perfect from 3 points.
Now I can mock up the 4 link and get going on the roll cage. Time to play!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4l1.jpg (73.2 KB, 13 views)
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

So far so good getting the 4 link set up. Going with a wishbone locator on top. Now to continue (or start actually) the frame reinforcement, seat and rollcage mounts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frm7.jpg (77.8 KB, 24 views)
amthatiam likes this.
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Time to start multi-tasking. Got a good handle on the frame mods, so the engine needs some attention now. Found a guy in Beaumont that had a set of Lunati (Morel) solid roller lifters NIB and picked them up for a song. Last major engine piece left is the cam, so I'll be talking to some people this week to spec and grind one.
I know some of the pieces I have aren't optimal, but hopefully can be swapped out later once I have it running and sorted out. I know the SCJ heads will hold me back on lift, I can get more by ditching the Torker II and 950HP and going Dominator, putting more stall in it and see if 3.89's will get me close.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lifter1.jpg (61.2 KB, 7 views)
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowride View Post
So far so good getting the 4 link set up. Going with a wishbone locator on top. Now to continue (or start actually) the frame reinforcement, seat and rollcage mounts.
What color are you going to paint the garage floor? Nice masking job! GRIN

Richard
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS7201 View Post
What color are you going to paint the garage floor? Nice masking job! GRIN

Richard
Kinda getting fond of the blue! I've marked the concrete in the past, but using painter's tape on the floor to mark frame points works out so much better. Easy to see, really easy to make changes if I need to (just put more tape over the affected section) and can make notes/dimensions on it. And when it's done just pull it up!
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

And the frame/suspension is coming together......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xmember2.jpg (73.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg xmember1.jpg (66.5 KB, 6 views)
amthatiam likes this.
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Almost looks like a car. Laying out the reinforcements in the floor then the body comes off again.
Coming up time to get the engine assembled and will need a custom cam so anyone here up to it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bd1.jpg (86.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg bd2.jpg (63.8 KB, 17 views)
amthatiam likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in