Let's build a 3 window Deuce - 460 Ford Forum
Car Buildup Forum A place to detail your car build and chronicle your progress as you put together your BBF powered vehicle.

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

Let's build a 3 window Deuce

Figured I'd start this build thread to get some technical feedback on what I'm building. I acquired a fiberglass '32 3 window coupe with the following:
TCI boxed deuce frame
4" dropped Superbell front axle, transverse spring and hairpins
Curry 9+ rear housing, triangulated 4 bar, 31 spline Curry axles, 2" Ford drum brakes
Underfloor Tandem power brake system
Aldan rear coilovers
The PO started building the frame reinforcement and tailshaft mount for a LS setup, but that's just tacked in and will come out easily. I want to drive on the street as well as drag race it so I will have to compromise in most areas. I have a 545 stroker I will be assembling with a D9TE block .030 over, Lunati 4.5" forged crank, 4340 H beam rods, 10.5:1 forged pistons, SCJ-A heads, 950 DP Quick Fuel carb and Harland Sharp roller rockers. I just got a set of CJ block huggers from Sanderson as well. I got a custom FT cam from Scotty when this engine was going in the jet and was to be limited to about 600hp, but will be going solid roller for this setup requiring another cam and lifters. I would like to be between 7-800hp.
I understand the rear suspension will likely a big limiting factor in performance, but since this frame is stock dimensions I don't have the room to go parallel 4 link. I could go triangulated ladder like i did on the '31, but not sure that's much of an improvement.
I'm looking for a short tailshaft C6 as this trans works real well in these early frames. I had considered a C4, but not sure how well it's suited to street/strip duty. Opinions are welcomed on these or other options.
More as I remember it, but this is the very beginning, so changes can be made far easier now than later. What's right, wrong or maybe just a better combination. Don't want to go broke either..... these are just fun, not a dedicated race setup.
rbro1275 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 10:41 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Kudo's on going with a Ford drivetrain in a Ford body! I really grinds my arse when they put small block Chevy's in them. The triangulated 4 link in the rear won't be all that bad for a dual purpose set up. IMHO, at that power level, stay with the C6. A 6 point cage will go a long way to making that chassis tunable and predictable...not to mention saving your noggin lol.
Rob

Rob Hawes-Anchorage Rod Works-Anchorage, Alaska

Last edited by White Lightning; 11-22-2017 at 10:44 AM.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Oh yes, let's build a lil deuce coupe for street and strip. Is it chopped already? Will there be fenders? Let's see some pictures.

I always thought that American Graffiti should have been done with a three window. They used a five window. The cover art for the Beach Boys album, Lil Deuce Coupe (1963) was a three window but it was heavily customized:

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Here's a few pics to get an idea where we're starting. The 17 and 20" ghetto wheels came with it and will go away asap. Thinking 15x12 Rebel Sprints on the rear with 15x14x30 cheaters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stuffed.jpg (84.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg wires.jpg (87.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (63.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (64.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (65.4 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by slowride; 11-22-2017 at 05:51 PM.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Having a cocktail and doin' a little planning. First up, the trunk lid. I really don't care if it's hinged since the only thing in the trunk will be the fuel cell and battery, so thinking about these push button latches rather than pins. I used these on the dash access panel on the '31 and they are great.
Also thinking brakes. The brake master is power and I'm wondering if I can hit my HP goal and still have vacuum for the booster. On my '68 fastback, a vacuum reservoir did wonders considering how built the engine was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg latch.jpg (89.7 KB, 18 views)
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

At this point in a build I tend to spend a LOT of time staring, measuring and staring some more to get a mental image of what's going to go where. It tends to make the beers in the fridge evaporate too.
Here's about where it'll sit in the frame (but lower obviously). I'll have to recess the firewall around 4" depending upon the bellhousing clearance. A bit more weight bias to the rear, water pump and oil pan clearance are all good things. Another good reason I need the short tail C6.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg setback1.jpg (82.7 KB, 43 views)
rbro1275 likes this.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Nice Ride

I also did a 4in set back, and it's a good thing I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-08-20 (4).jpg (73.5 KB, 33 views)
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbro1275 View Post
I also did a 4in set back, and it's a good thing I did.
I'm figuring 4" to clear the 7-1/2" for the elec w/pump plus another 3-1/2" for the puller fan.
You don't have a whole lot to spare!
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 09:52 AM

Will you be moving the entire firewall back or will you be creating a pocket for the engine. I recall seeing a fellow use an old wheelbarrow tub for such a pocket.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowney View Post
Will you be moving the entire firewall back or will you be creating a pocket for the engine. I recall seeing a fellow use an old wheelbarrow tub for such a pocket.
It'll be a recess. Good news is this is fiberglass and will be easy to do. I did a 5" recess on the '31 in steel and wasn't much fun to do.
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

So given the parts I already have and the car's intended use, I need to start thinking about tying all the pieces together. Specifically, which cam to run, gears, converter stall, etc. This won't be an all out drag effort, so streetability comes into play and will require compromise. It won't be a touring car, mostly short trips..... 20-25 miles. As far as racing, I have no idea if it will even be a candidate for class racing.... likely just brackets. It doesn't really matter as I just want to run for fun.
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Found my trans It'll take a week or two to get here, but gives me some time to pick which mounts I want before mock up starts.

I'm leaning toward the Tinman mounts for a couple reasons. I like that the bushings aren't next to the block and feel they will handle the power level I'm planning on better than the typical street rod mounts for a 460.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c6.jpg (57.2 KB, 18 views)
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowride View Post
Found my trans It'll take a week or two to get here, but gives me some time to pick which mounts I want before mock up starts.
So where do these short tail shaft C6s come from? That is, what vehicles came from the factory with short tail shafts and bell housing bolt pattern suitable to a 429 or 460?
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
So where do these short tail shaft C6s come from? That is, what vehicles came from the factory with short tail shafts and bell housing bolt pattern suitable to a 429 or 460?
They came from mid-late 70's 4x4's with divorced transfer cases, some long beds with 2 piece drive shafts or some vans and motorhomes. Engines would have been 351m/400/429/460.
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Spent some time staring at it yesterday getting an idea where it's going to go. While I planned on keeping the firewall in place and making a recess, it'll work out better all around to move the whole firewall including trans tunnel and tow kick back 4".
I can't really do much before mock up, but had these stainless shock brackets left over from the '31 build so today was a freebie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shk mnt.jpg (52.0 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in