Not so cool 63 1/2 Galaxie - 460 Ford Forum
Car Buildup Forum A place to detail your car build and chronicle your progress as you put together your BBF powered vehicle.

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 2 Post By TommyK
  • 1 Post By FlyinLo

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Question Not so cool 63 1/2 Galaxie

63 1/2 Galaxie , .30 over 429 ,mild speed pro cam, Wiend Stealth alum intake ,Summit 650 carb , Griffen two row 1 1/4 " tube radiator ,Hurricane 3500 cfm fan (pusher), High torque mini starter,battery relocated to trunk via welding cable with brass ends , grounded to frame at battery , body to frame, engine to frame with same welding cables.Classic Auto Air HVAC system ,160 deg high flow thermostat ,flocooler water pump.
Now for my problem , I have had heating issues ever since I built this car. It does fairly well (180)on road . Volt meter drops to 12 v when fan kicks on and when A/C is on gets a little under 12.I have two relays for fan ,one turns fan on at 185 deg and other turns fan on when A/C is on. Just a little stop and go traffic and temp will get over 200fairly qiuck. I have tried three radiators on this thing and just put the high dollar Griffen on yesterday. the problem is some what less but still a little warmer than I would like. Can't stay in slow traffic very long at all and that is where you are on some of the larger cruise events. Sure is taking some of the enjoyment out of this car. Any Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I think the pusher fan is likely the issue. Ideally you want a puller set up with a shroud so that the entire surface area of the radiator sees air flow at idle. Do a search. There are some recent threads on this issue.
Devildog and BOSS 429 like this.

1973 Mustang Convertible
460 D0VE-C Heads w/CJ size valves, Lunati voodoo 227/233 cam, Edelbrock performer rpm manifold, FPA headers, Holley 950 HP carb, C6 w/2500 stall converter, 3.50 trac lock
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I would agree with Tommy. Try switching the fan to a puller if you have the room and see if it helps. Pullers have like a 30% more effectiveness (somewhere around that number) than pushers. Also may think about dimensions (bigger radiator) and a three row.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Custom500 View Post
I would agree with Tommy. Try switching the fan to a puller if you have the room and see if it helps. Pullers have like a 30% more effectiveness (somewhere around that number) than pushers. Also may think about dimensions (bigger radiator) and a three row.
Thanks guys , Dont have room for a puller my Griffin Radiator is huge and i only have about two inches between waterpump and core . Had a three row champion but tubes were only 1/2 where the Griffin has 1 1/4 tubes. Put a 160 deg thermostat and reset timing and car is much better . Let it run in shop for 45 min and fan would cycle on and off and hold temp at 180 deg . Looks like i may have it . Drove it through downtown Paducah , Ky and forgot about quilters convention and it done fine in stop and go traffic .
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)

Garage
Racecat do you have an expansion tank above the intake similar to the FE engined Galaxies?The radiator placement in the 60-64 Galaxie is pretty low & sometimes allows the intake or the upper rad hose to be the high spot in the system which prevents all air to be vented from the system.This is a very common problem shared with AC Cobra kit cars (and originals).The Galaxies and Cobras originally had the expansion tanks for this reason (the Cobra used one that did not mount directly to the intake in place of the thermostat housing).A tee in the upper hose with a fill cap is usually not sufficient.An air/vapor bubble collects in the high spot and disrupts coolant flow at low rpm.Smallblock 260/289 Galaxies didn't have it since the lower height of the engine usually kept the high spot at the radiator.

Last edited by John Saxon; 04-22-2018 at 08:21 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 175 Post(s)

I agree with the other guys. You need a puller fan setup. It is also crucial to make sure the fan and or fan shroud is right up against the radiator with no gaps so the air can't get around the shroud edge without going through the radiator.

Also what brand of electric fan do you have? Some of the fan manufacturers inflate the CFM ratings in my opinion. So it might claim to be 3500 CFM but in reality it may not even be close to that.

Send Questions To: [email protected]
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I have two Spal pusher fans (1100cfm each) with a smaller Griffin radiator and have no major overheating issues in my 63.5 Galaxie
I currently have a 550hp FE in the car but previously had a 400hp 429 in there.
Getting air out from under the hood seems more of an issue than getting it IN on these cars. Given enough time idling in the Georgia summer the car will get up to 200, maybe even 210 but this isn't overheating, it's just a high powered car getting stuck at the railroad tracks for 10 minutes :P
I also run 2x4 carburetors, so boiling fuel would be more of an issue with my setup than with most.

I suspect a teardrop hood would solve all of these problems, but I like my stock hood.
I can relate to not having enough room to install puller fans, there just isn't much.

Given your oversized cooling system for the engine in question, I would seriously go over your carburetor tune, fuel quality, and distributor curve.

Last edited by DeepRoots; 04-23-2018 at 10:50 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You and I have very similar projects. I too had a lot of cooling issues at first. I have a slightly larger push fan in front and a 18” Flexi HD fan with shroud. The biggest improvements came after the shroud and getting the distance the fan from the radiator or depth of fan into the shroud correct. My fan blades are less than a half inch from the pulleys. My electric fan rarely comes on even in the hottest weather and sitting in traffic for extended periods.
Racecat likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Fan

What kinnd of shroud did you use ? I have a 18 flex fan on the wall all I need to do is find correct spacer and shroud!
Drove it to a cruise in / fish fry Tuesday night, air temp 97 deg with heat index of 115 deg , car ran 180 with air on max maybe got up to 190 at lights but otherwise done great . But just for curiousity may try adding fan and shroud. Thanks for all the replies!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Got the fiberglass shroud from Crites Performance back in 1994 or so, I went to their website last night and could not find it, but they listed a all aluminum unit that may work. In the time leading up to this I tried a few different pulley fans, electric fans and a variety of thermostats but could not keep it cool. I was looking for a shroud but could not find one I thought would work, until I came across this one. The Flexalit HD 18" pulley driven fan was installed into the shroud about 1/2 the depth of the fan blades and about an inch, but way less than 2" from the radiator. The determining factor was the fan blades were hitting the single groove pulleys so i added the thinnest spacer I could find, I still ended up shaving it down to about 1/4 inch thick to get the clearance good. This is where I turned the corner in getting the car to stay cool. Next I installed a Spal 2360 CFM electric fan in front of the radiator, had to trim a little off the hood latch mechanism to clear and set it to come on at 195 and off at 175. I am also using a high flow 180 degree thermostat.

This setup has worked for me for many years without fail. The other day I was out and got caught up in some construction traffic in 90 plus degree weather, I ended up sitting and barely creeping for at least 20 minutes the electric fan cycled a few times but there was never any danger of over heating. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shroud.jpg (19.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg fan.jpg (16.8 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by FlyinLo; 07-06-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in