Street Motor Build - 460 Ford Forum
Car Buildup Forum A place to detail your car build and chronicle your progress as you put together your BBF powered vehicle.

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By bob460
  • 2 Post By streetrenegade

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Street Motor Build

Just bought a 460 from my coworker. He said it come out of a '69 Lincoln. My plan is to bore/stroke it out to over 500 ci. My goal is 600 plus hp and tq at the crank with a relatively mild and street friendly build. This is my first engine build so I have a lot to learn. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I called John Kasse Racing and they said they could build me a balanced rotating assembly spec'd to my liking for $3-3.5k. Does that sound good? Do I need a new crankshaft if I'm stroking the motor, or can I reuse the original? They also said to take measurements of the bores and deck height before we proceed. What's the best way to go about taking those measurements?

I plan to tear it apart and put it back together again with all the new parts, after all the machine work/cleanup has been done of course. I've always wanted to learn how to put an engine together so finally I decided to just go for it. This will eventually go in a 69-70 Mustang or a Torino btw. But for now I'm just gonna focus on the motor which is sitting on a stand in my garage right now

Edit: Oh and John Kasse Racing said they don't recommend going over 4 1/2 stroke or something like that because it would be a lot of stress (based on what I'm trying to do with it I guess) and they said I should go with 30 over for the bore. But I'm always looking for more opinions

Cheers!

Last edited by streetrenegade; 05-20-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:49 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)

Do you really want to take a chance on building your 1st engine on a performance build?

What's your budget for this build?

Kaase might be expensive to some, but there's a reason why.........one of the best in the business!!

There are a few builders on here that can build what you want at a good price.

This is my suggestion

521ci or 528ci
afr 280 heads
rpm or torker ll intake
950 apd carb
flat tappet hyd
228/240......580/560 lift cam peak around 5500rpm
10.2 or 10.5 comp pump gas
1 7/8 or 2 inch headers
2500-3000 stall
3.25 or 3.55
perfect street car manners 620+hp 650+tq

Cheers,Bob
70Promach1 likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob460 View Post
Do you really want to take a chance on building your 1st engine on a performance build?

What's your budget for this build?

Kaase might be expensive to some, but there's a reason why.........one of the best in the business!!

There are a few builders on here that can build what you want at a good price.

This is my suggestion

521ci or 528ci
afr 280 heads
rpm or torker ll intake
950 apd carb
flat tappet hyd
228/240......580/560 lift cam peak around 5500rpm
10.2 or 10.5 comp pump gas
1 7/8 or 2 inch headers
2500-3000 stall
3.25 or 3.55
perfect street car manners 620+hp 650+tq

Cheers,Bob
Thanks for the reply Bob

I do want to take a chance on this. I would really like to put this engine together myself. Will it be ahrder because it's perfromance? Or just more expensive? What do you consider to be a good price to have one of the guys on here do my engine for me?

To answer your question on budget, I was hoping to keep it under $5,000. But I have no idea. Do you think that's doable?

Edit: Oh and btw, the guy who sold me the engine said he will help me when I need it. He used to work in a machine shop and knows how to throw together engines like they are nothing. That should help alot. I understand I will need to get specific tools and pay close attention to details like clearances, etc

Last edited by streetrenegade; 05-25-2019 at 05:11 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

I started tearing down the engine today. Got all the rod caps off except number 3 and number 8. Need to turn the crankshaft to access those. But the crankshaft bolt is missing. Any recommendations on where to find one or what size it should be?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 175 Post(s)

$3500 for a Kaase short block is a deal.

I don't want to discourage you but there is a lot to building a motor and getting it right the first time. Especially one that puts out 600 HP. I know everybody has to start somewhere but the fact you asked the question about reusing the crank for a stroker motor tells me you might have a tough go at the first build. People rarely save money when learning to rebuild an engine the right way the first time. It's not just bolting parts together. It's making sure the ring gaps are correct, all bolts were lubricated & torqued properly, all piston rings go into the bores nice & easy, making sure pushrod length & rocker arm geometry are correct, etc...etc...

I personally think a good assembled short block or even a long block from Kaase or a quality vendor on this site would be money wisely spent in the long run. Concentrate on the things more easy to manage on the first go round like, headers, carb, distributor, etc.. That will be challenging enough for a first build.

Anyway that is my 2 cents. I hope it helps. Good luck with the build!

I

Send Questions To: [email protected]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScharfenberger View Post
$3500 for a Kaase short block is a deal.

I don't want to discourage you but there is a lot to building a motor and getting it right the first time. Especially one that puts out 600 HP. I know everybody has to start somewhere but the fact you asked the question about reusing the crank for a stroker motor tells me you might have a tough go at the first build. People rarely save money when learning to rebuild an engine the right way the first time. It's not just bolting parts together. It's making sure the ring gaps are correct, all bolts were lubricated & torqued properly, all piston rings go into the bores nice & easy, making sure pushrod length & rocker arm geometry are correct, etc...etc...

I personally think a good assembled short block or even a long block from Kaase or a quality vendor on this site would be money wisely spent in the long run. Concentrate on the things more easy to manage on the first go round like, headers, carb, distributor, etc.. That will be challenging enough for a first build.

Anyway that is my 2 cents. I hope it helps. Good luck with the build!
I
I got nothing but time for this project. I'm not on a tight budget. I'm not a deadline. And I'm not doing this to save money. The whole purpose of this project is because I've always wanted to learn how to build my own classic car from the ground up. You're right everybody has to start somewhere so it might as well be here. If I buy a pre-assembled short block that would defeat the whole purpose for me, I might as well just open up an Autotrader and start looking for a whole turn-key car. I do really appreciate your comment and advice though, I'll try to keep in mind how difficult this will be so I don't start taking costly shortcuts. And I have knowledgeable people around me (plus this forum) to help every step along the way. When I fire this thing up and go for a cruise down the road it will mean so much more to me because of all of my blood, sweat, tears and beer drops that went into this car literally, and just to be able to intimately know every single nut and bolt in this moving unit of an automobile
Mike R and DanE like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in