73 f250 camper special - 460 Ford Forum
Car Buildup Forum A place to detail your car build and chronicle your progress as you put together your BBF powered vehicle.

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By kubotaorange76

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

73 f250 camper special

I recent got a 73 f250 with a 360 fe and a 3 speed. The day after the engine started knocking... so i decided to try and find a 460 with a aod trans but whats the best year/ model to find something like that without efi? Also if anyone knows the process to convert 2wd to 4wd i would really like some info because this is my first build. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King987654 View Post
I recent got a 73 f250 with a 360 fe and a 3 speed. The day after the engine started knocking... so i decided to try and find a 460 with a aod trans but whats the best year/ model to find something like that without efi? Also if anyone knows the process to convert 2wd to 4wd i would really like some info because this is my first build. Thanks!
I'm not 100% on this but I don't believe a 460 ever came with an AOD.
Someone could correct me but everything I ever read is you don't do it either unless you get it built for that engine.
Most just go with another option.
Also 2wd to 4wd isn't an easy task either from what I have read. Most will tell you to find a 4wd frame and work from that.
I suppose it could be done with a lot of fabbing. Not something for a first timer but if you have the skills than anything is possible.

79 f150 460/np435 4x4
86 f250 460/c6 4x4
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepines View Post
I'm not 100% on this but I don't believe a 460 ever came with an AOD.
Someone could correct me but everything I ever read is you don't do it either unless you get it built for that engine.
Most just go with another option.
Also 2wd to 4wd isn't an easy task either from what I have read. Most will tell you to find a 4wd frame and work from that.
I suppose it could be done with a lot of fabbing. Not something for a first timer but if you have the skills than anything is possible.
no aod/460 combo. 460 didnt get an overdrive auto until the e4od. Need a standalone controller for that

engine crossmember and steering box locations are different on 67-79 trucks between 2 and 4x4. not a simple swap like 80-96

Whichever route you go you there will be a decent amount of fab involved
inthepines likes this.

no more toys

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)

As many know, the 360, 2 barrel carb FE was a poor performer in both power production and gas millage.

A young guy that worked for me bought a new F150 with the 360 and told me it was a dog and would not even go 100 MPH and was a gas hog. On a rural paved road we ran it WFO for 5 miles one way and then back. We then repeated the same run with the tail gate down. The truck went 98 MPH with the tail gate up and 101 with the tail gate down.

Into the garage with the truck and we went to work. I took the heads to my favorite machine shop, had the heads milled .060", a 3 angle valve job blended into the bowls, and the intake side of heads milled accordingly. We then installed the heads with a steel shim head gasket and installed a 428 CJ aluminum intake manifold and an 1850, 600 CFM carb.

We then installed a "B" 428 CJ camshaft at 4* advanced and an adjustable valve train from a 405/406 FE.

Installed 406/405 cast iron headers with a 2 1/2" mandrel bent pipes, straight through mufflers, and an "H" pipe.

Curved the distributor with a 11* plate and 16 degrees on the crank.

We had a friend that had a new 1973 F250 with a 460 and we went to him to see where we stood performance wise. Long story short, his 1973 F250/460 could not handle Ray's 1973/360 anywhere performance wise.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)

Your easiest route would be to find a 78,79 F250 4x4 rust bucket with a 400 or 351M motor.Basically,all the parts you need for the conversion will be there. The 460 will bolt right up to the trans and the motor mounts are available from several places.The problem is guys are restoring these trucks and not a lot of them around but you might get lucky.No AOD on any 460 but an E4OD will work....a lot of work and $$$$$
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I kinda figured i was going to get into just swapping the frame for 4wd but is there a possibility it would be easier and/or cheaper to swap it over to manual? Im pretty open to anything for on this build. Just looking for 4wd, and a 460. I looked into rebuilding the 360 but im guessing the fe's arent as popular because the aftermarket is kinda lackluster/ pricey. But i have plans for it way down the road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in