E40D Vs C6 Economy - Page 3 - 460 Ford Forum
Driveline Discuss Driveline & Related Components.

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)

I drove the truck to the city and back on Saturday and it did great. I don't know what the mileage was because even with my new speedometer gear it is still reading just a little too fast on the gauge as well as the computer.

If the controller is seeing the wrong speed it will upshift very early mine was farther off before but now its a lot better. Adjusting the shift points and the quality of each shift is easy to do on a PC using their software. One change I made to the baseline program was to make it only turn on the torque converter clutch above 1800rpm. Before it was set at 1400 which was way too low.

Once I get the right speedometer gear tomorrow I'm going to fine tune a few things on the shifts but overall it works good. About the same as my old C6 but the truck really rolls down the highway.
]
bob460 likes this.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

An aftermarket 23 tooth speedometer gear ended up being just right in the truck. Yesterday I did another test drive and this time I had my wife come along with her laptop computer hooked up via USB. The tuning software works in real time with a cursor that floats around on the screen. It moves up with speed and over toward the right with throttle position. What was really interesting is to know in real time how much throttle was being used at any given time. Driving through town in high gear at about 30mph took about 10%. Running along down the interstate at 70mph takes about 25-30% throttle. What all of this does is allow you to easily see where the computer is on its "map" and this makes finding and fixing a problem area easy.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic --Arthur C. Clarke

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Last week we drove the truck out to central Kansas to visit my father-in-law for a few days. On the way out the transmission did great. Running along at 70-72mph I got 11.7mpg when I checked the mileage which is better than the 10mpg I got with the C6 while running at about 60-62mph.

While out there we loaded the truck up with stuff and headed home on Sunday. While running along on I-70 the transmission went out and had no gears except for park. I called a friend who hauled us along with the truck home. When I tore the transmission down I found that it had stripped the splines in the stock aluminum overdrive planetary.

I talked to several transmission guys who told me that this can be something that can just happen I'm still wondering... What I think might have caused the problem was that when I retrofitted my transmission with the roller style center support I did that using the '95 up parts. There was a "service" kit to do this upgrade and those parts are slightly different dimensionally. The inside of the OD shaft is the same diameter but the recess is slightly deeper on the service part for the older transmission because in the old ones the OD planet set is slightly longer. What's weird is that I checked this while building the trans and it was not bottoming out... It was close but not bottomed. The new cast iron planet that I'm installing along with a shorter input shaft has close to 1/2 inch of clearance down inside of the OD shaft.. Could this have been the cause? Or was I just pushing my luck by using the old aluminum planetary in the OD?

The transmission ran about 800 miles before this failure happened.

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 10:29 AM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)

You probably should have used the upgrade kit instead instead of the complete 95 center support assembly but I can't see where that caused the problem.The aluminum OD planetary probably just failed. Lot of times the failure is way worse than stripped splines.How much power in the motor?
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

It's probably just one of those "who knows" things as to why it broke. I got the transmission put back together yesterday and today I got the truck put back together again and so far so good after about 35 miles of driving. My transmission is now equipped with the factory steel/iron four gear overdrive planetary, the shorter input shaft, a roller center support and a six gear forward planetary so I should be good to go. This engine made 330 horsepower and 510lbs/ft torque when I ran it on the dyno so nothing too powerful but it really does run well and this trans works great hopefully it'll keep working now!
BigAggie likes this.

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 08:56 AM

Dave,what did you use for a converter and are you happy with it? Reason I asked is I recently did a E4OD in a 97 Power Stroke. Trans was in beautiful condition with only 40K on the clock.Resealed everything and installed a Tugger kit,worked perfect for 5000 mi. Anyway,the owner went with the OEM converter because of the low and easy miles. The truck threw a P-1728 code,converter clutch slip.Lot of reasons for that so went to his place to check things out.Drove it and pulled back in his driveway...seal let go or the converter cracked and the trans emptied out where she sat.Lot of metal and fiber trash in the pan so everything has to come apart. again. I guess the lesson learned here is don't cheap out on the converter.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermod View Post
Dave,what did you use for a converter and are you happy with it? Reason I asked is I recently did a E4OD in a 97 Power Stroke. Trans was in beautiful condition with only 40K on the clock.Resealed everything and installed a Tugger kit,worked perfect for 5000 mi. Anyway,the owner went with the OEM converter because of the low and easy miles. The truck threw a P-1728 code,converter clutch slip.Lot of reasons for that so went to his place to check things out.Drove it and pulled back in his driveway...seal let go or the converter cracked and the trans emptied out where she sat.Lot of metal and fiber trash in the pan so everything has to come apart. again. I guess the lesson learned here is don't cheap out on the converter.
On my transmission I used a converter from Transgo FM64LX which is the one with four studs, a billet cover, the heavy duty bearings and a low stall. I've driven the truck quite a bit now and I think that the converter works great. I have not tested it but I think that the stall speed is slightly higher than my old stock C6 converter. Lock up is nice and solid almost like another shift. With the Bauman Quick 2 controller I only use the converter clutch in 3rd and or OD gears.

When I built the transmission I put in a Sonnax kit that replaces the plastic check valve in the back of the pump that can sometimes melt and cause problems by restricting the oil and burning up the converter and or the OD gear set.

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:56 AM

Thanks Dave! This deal I had going was a mess. Every last piece had to come apart and be washed. The pump was toast and replaced the solenoid pack as I wasn't comfortable with my wash out of the old one. Anyway,I'll see if they have the 6 lug version of your converter. I good with it if you like it. Also added the Sonnax check valve.
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermod View Post
Thanks Dave! This deal I had going was a mess. Every last piece had to come apart and be washed. The pump was toast and replaced the solenoid pack as I wasn't comfortable with my wash out of the old one. Anyway,I'll see if they have the 6 lug version of your converter. I good with it if you like it. Also added the Sonnax check valve.
I know that Transtar also lists a super heavy duty multi disc torque converter for diesels, six studs, billet cover etc. That would probably be really good if the engine is modified. In my transmission I swapped it to the newer style pump too.

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in