C6 pressure curve during run - 460 Ford Forum
Driveline Discuss Driveline & Related Components.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garage
Question C6 pressure curve during run

Hi all,

pasted below is a screenshot of 4 runs , one in 2010 with old engine [email protected] and rest in 2017/2018 with [email protected] inc the fastest 7.49sec pass. We have RPM, Driveshaft and trans pressure, and 1 accelerometer plot for the 7.49s pass. Trans pressure is bottom graph. Traction dosnt seem to effect pressures, even though it had difficulty holding the track on some passes, tyres are old.

To assist in reading each line is a second and each increment 0.2 sec...

@1.5s in 1st 199-215psi
@2.0s in 2nd 221-228
@2.5s in 2nd 270-303!!
@2.8s in 2nd 293-330!!!
@3.0s in 2nd 212-247????
@3.2s in 2nd 202-208????
@3.6s in 3rd 200-219
@5.0s in 3rd 200-217 and stays there till I back off.

The pressure builds after shift into second and goes high half way thru 2nd and then drops like a stone 1/2 sec before I engages 3rd. Is that just the time it takes after physical shift of trans to release band and clamp direct drum, or is it running out of oil?

Trans is great otherwise, but Iím busting pressure plates (have some steel Alto ones now ready to go in) standard trans mods #8 Torrington, E lever, R servo, 2.5Ē Kevlar band , extra friction in both.

Iím asking all this because ET and Weight says mph should be 180 odd on all calculators, but canít get there. Driveshaft rpm and trap mph say I have 7.5% converter slip. I can only put it down to losses in trans.

C6 valve body with full auto drive( not manualised nor reverse pattern or trans braked) just B&M Stg 3 shift kit mods.

Just throwing it out there for ideas.

John.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62F3E8FE-E068-4553-B925-C9A77C5CDA97.jpg (20.1 KB, 8 views)

27T JPP Speedster, 572ci Boss 9. [email protected] 1.05 60'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)

Frank would be the man to know .

That's a lot of pressure , now wonder it's busting pressure plates . Frank does a billet plate would be the go.

As for pressure i'd say that shift kit is designed to be used with a modulator? I have seen similar in C4 with Transgo -3 manual conversion kits that are supposed to have modulator connected , but without the line pressures were bit crazy.

The kit you're using would have 2 springs in the pressure reg valve? Perhaps it needs the boost valve blocked ? Convert to a singe spring like the manual valvebodies?

just for interest many years ago, like 25 I used that exact same kit and same way in a race car only, C6 always worked sweet , but I never back then checked pressures . Luckily it never broke either

Last edited by gregaust; 10-18-2018 at 04:30 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

That's in case breaking pressure range isn't it?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
That's in case breaking pressure range isn't it?
Yes it is , thinking back some years ago i remember Frank running and testing line pressures well under 200.
I'd be wanting to see that max pressure in low 200's
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 05:46 AM

Here you go , Frank ran [email protected] 175. this was back in July 6 2005

quoted from info i saved

Well boy's ,I think(I Know we have a transmission that works ) made 11 passes pulled the tranny down tonight ( at only 130 PSI) and it looks like new !!

Specs non rollerized C-6 , High-reverse clutch pack ,red Alto ultra thins, 7 fibres -7 steels , clearance at .070” , forward 6 & 6 standard red alto in a '76 and up anti-clunk drum .060” clearance , low- reverse clutch 5 & 5 pack stock Ford ( biggest clutches you've ever seen , can’t hurt them ) Set this at .100 clearance and make sure you haven’t mixed up the springs from the high/reverse and the low/reverse
(low/reverse are shorter - blows hole in spring seat)
2nd E lever and an R servo and your ready for 1200 Hp
I will have a Trans brake valve body for sale by Spring and all valve bodies will be tested in My Car
Frank
P.S am going to rollerize a C-6 for the National Open In Medicine Hat and do Back to back tests

To all the guy's that I sent the tranny brake fix too , drill the right hand check ball holes to 1/4 and find some bigger balls ( the holes were 3/16 ) I ran the TCI valve body with my mod's and switched to my own design for the final runs.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garage
Thanks for comments, yes we are a little concerned over the highs pressure an d were wondering if the boost circuit was playing a part. Will have a look at it on the weekend.

27T JPP Speedster, 572ci Boss 9. [email protected] 1.05 60'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in