C-6 Theory of operation - Page 2 - 460 Ford Forum
Driveline Discuss Driveline & Related Components.

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merkl View Post
I'm hoping to licence in the'71 Mustang funny car at Phoenix as I'm booked to run the March meet @ Bakersfield ,Ca march 5-10th
Frank
Headed past Anaheim on the way to Famoso?
gregaust likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 598BroncoBeast View Post
OK I went over most everything and now have some questions. I see people refer to direct clutch when I don't see that for C-6 would that be the forward clutch ? I only see that term for the AOD. I see sprag referred to would that be the one way clutch ?

I only am concerned with C-6 with reversed pattern transbrake I had a Hipster transbrake and had to hold the switch to back up why ? This one I have now you don't have to why ? low gear is forward clutch and low reverse clutch so is the high reverse clutch applied to get the brake action ? This stuff is not in those books.

Thanks in advance

Pat
High, Reverse, Direct clutch same same.

Wrench twister since 1957.
Journeyman in 1964.
Transmission builder since 1964.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Thanks for clearing that up. As I read the different instructions from transbrake manufactures I finally saw a guy say direct clutch (high) so I kinda thought that's what it was. I guess sprag is the one way clutch which functions like half of the low/reverse clutch and one being in the converter That one is confusing to me. I still have questions. When I read this stuff it all genetically says the tranny is in first and reverse at the same time. For a C-6 first gear is forward clutch and low/reverse clutch. So how do you get first and reverse at the same time ? Would you add the high/reverse clutch with the solenoid ? Thanks

Pat

Last edited by 598BroncoBeast; 01-28-2019 at 03:34 AM.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 598BroncoBeast View Post
For a C-6 first gear is forward clutch and low/reverse clutch. So how do you get first and reverse at the same time ? Would you add the high/reverse clutch with the solenoid ? Thanks

Pat
You got it . The trans is in low gear , that is the forward clutch and the low reverse clutch. ( Note : with the L/R clutch on the rear roller clutch isn't doing much)
Now it all depends on the valvebody, some don't use the low/reverse clutch, they just rely on the rear roller clutch to hold instead

Now to get the transbrake on , via solenoid, the high/reverse clutch is applied .
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Dam you're good. I trying get this down. So roller clutch is that the one way clutch ? There are terms that throw me. So I'm getting through the mechanical part and the hydraulic part I'll leave for Frank. I'll be being buying some parts from him when he is in Phoenix. I have the one broke tranny in the Bronco plus I have the original C-6 laying on the floor. I have a big metal lathe so I should be able to machine the drums. I want to take a spare tranny with me drag racing.

Thanks again, Pat
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)

Roller clutch , yes . One way clutch is another name . Some call it a sprag also but technically a sprag has a dog bone type element to lock is my understanding.

If you have a big lathe you should be fine . Will need a groove cutter to cut the new snap ring higher. Same for the roller conversion.

I have lots pics so shout if you're not sure but i'm sure Frank will get you set on your way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in