Barry Grant ,got a question. - 460 Ford Forum
General Race Tech All other topics, such as Fuel Delivery, Ignition, Engine, Safety, Data Aquisition, Suspension, etc...

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Barry Grant ,got a question.

I have a 750 drag race competion claw that the base plate is a little smaller then main body, 1 11/16 , Can i put a 850 plate on it and blend main body if needed and only need some slight airbleed work or jetting or is this a bad swap? People really like them 950hp and this is the same idea and i always heard the 1 11/16 blades were a restriction. I could also use milled shafts and maybe thinner blades on the 750. I already tapered the top back of plate so there isnt a step there no more from main body to it. I have had good luck with it and like this carb for a street strip deal and dont want to loose the great throttle response/signal that i got now. A 850 annular might be a better chioce also. Thanks alot..., ED

Last edited by 460Skywalker; 07-27-2010 at 02:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460Skywalker View Post
I have a 750 drag race competion claw that the base plate is a little smaller then main body, 1 11/16 , Can i put a 850 plate on it and blend main body if needed and only need some slight airbleed work or jetting or is this a bad swap? People really like them 950hp and this is the same idea and i always heard the 1 11/16 blades were a restriction. I could also use milled shafts and maybe thinner blades on the 750. I already tapered the top back of plate so there isnt a step there no more from main body to it. I have have had good luck and like this carb for a street strip deal and dont want to loose the great throttle response/signal that i got now. A 850 annular might be a better chioce also. Thanks alot..., ED

Can't really say as there is enough material in the bottom to do this without getting into any of the passages as we have not tried that with our castings. Back when we were modifying the Holleys we did that on some of the 750's though.

The thinner shafts are only good for a few cfm so may not be worth the effort on those.

If you did decide to try the modification and base plate change you would also need to come up with some sort of calibration to make it work properly.

As far as losing throttle response it really depends on the actual engine combination as to whether that would be a factor or not.

Technical Support
Barry Grant, Inc.
BG Fuel Systems, Demon Carburetors, Nitrous Works, Triple D Induction

www.barrygrant.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Barry-...n/286832226874

Dealer program inquiries welcome
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Well i had access to a 850 plate cheap and thought it might be worth 50 cfm or so. I realize it would take some tuning to get curve right ans such, It sounds like since you guys havent tried it that there is probably a reason. My buddy through a 850 plate one a 3310 750 and it worked fine on the street. It was done without any knowledge, lol .I might just try a bigger carb, Thanks..., ED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in