1993 Fox Notch Back Build. What Class and other questions. - 460 Ford Forum
General Race Tech All other topics, such as Fuel Delivery, Ignition, Engine, Safety, Data Aquisition, Suspension, etc...

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)

1993 Fox Notch Back Build. What Class and other questions.

OK guys.. After seeing a large transmission leak in my 5000 pound pig I've decided to pull the motor and transmission in my truck for the last time. I have another much milder version already built and ready to go in it. That will become my pulling truck to get me to the track and back.

I have bone stock 1993 Fox notch back 4 banger in my barn just waiting for the build. My motor puts out about 800hp and about 1000 on the bottle. What class (if any) should I try to build this thing for? Should I tub it or just try to stuff the biggest wheels under the fender wells that will fit? I'm going to strip out the interior this weekend and then take the rolling chassis over to my local speed shop and let them cage this one (I think this is the one that could possibly kill me so I'll let the pro's cage this one). Full 12 point cage with motor plates. The speed shop guy says if I don't use a front K-Member and I use the motor plates he will be able to lower my motor in there so I won't need a huge 4 inch cowl hood (I hate the way they look). Just getting going on this build for the winter's project. As I've said before I don't know anybody that does this stuff and I'm trying to figure it out on my own. I'm hoping to be in the 5 second range in the 1/8. Any thoughts and experience as to what I should do would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScharfenberger View Post
OK guys.. After seeing a large transmission leak in my 5000 pound pig I've decided to pull the motor and transmission in my truck for the last time. I have another much milder version already built and ready to go in it. That will become my pulling truck to get me to the track and back.

I have bone stock 1993 Fox notch back 4 banger in my barn just waiting for the build. My motor puts out about 800hp and about 1000 on the bottle. What class (if any) should I try to build this thing for? Should I tub it or just try to stuff the biggest wheels under the fender wells that will fit? I'm going to strip out the interior this weekend and then take the rolling chassis over to my local speed shop and let them cage this one (I think this is the one that could possibly kill me so I'll let the pro's cage this one). Full 12 point cage with motor plates. The speed shop guy says if I don't use a front K-Member and I use the motor plates he will be able to lower my motor in there so I won't need a huge 4 inch cowl hood (I hate the way they look). Just getting going on this build for the winter's project. As I've said before I don't know anybody that does this stuff and I'm trying to figure it out on my own. I'm hoping to be in the 5 second range in the 1/8. Any thoughts and experience as to what I should do would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

You will have to use some kind of K-Member since the lower control arms bolt to it.

Later Mark.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 03:01 AM

I just read the NMRA 2010 rule book and I think that you will be in the pro outlaw class. All there safety rule will be in the NHRA rule book.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I would go thru several organizations ie: ORSCA, ORTC, OTTA, PSCA ,NMRA, NMCA and the list goes on before i would start a build, who are the top runners , what are there combos , what are the class rules etc..... and the as Mr. Bennett said makes sure it passes NHRA tech

good luck with your new build .........

www.429-460.com
"HOME OF THE FASTEST BIG BLOCKS"

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 07:47 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to z06-klr
275 drag radial, do not tub the car. fox body stock suspension cars WORK. just make sure you get some battle boxes
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06-klr View Post
275 drag radial, do not tub the car. fox body stock suspension cars WORK. just make sure you get some battle boxes
The 275 drag radial class never seems to draw well at my home track (Atco). Maybe 10 car fields is all you'll see. They are impressive though...some guys running high 4s on those DRs.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it. I thinik the 275 drag radial class will be the way to go. I think there will be less expense in setting the car up for it. I know the stock suspension cars work and I also already know that you have to reinforce the battle boxes and that subframe connectors are a must.

Would you guys recommend using a 8.8 rear end or a Ford 9 setup for the stock suspension? The car was originally a 4 banger so the rear end has to go anyway. The only reason that I ask is I already have a Strange 9 inch Pro Iron pumpkin with a full spool and 35 spline axles. I'd like to try to reuse that I'll get the axles cut down to fit) and this will cut down on the cost of the build.

Radiator and fan suggestions?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 03:13 PM

dont forget the anti-roll bar, they are worth there wieght in gold here is a video of my 275 stock suspention smallblock ford glide car 8.8 with 3:55

http://www.streetfire.net/video/8-se...***_697149.htm

http://www.streetfire.net/video/my-s...lie_514156.htm
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06-klr View Post
dont forget the anti-roll bar, they are worth there wieght in gold here is a video of my 275 stock suspention smallblock ford glide car 8.8 with 3:55

http://www.streetfire.net/video/8-se...***_697149.htm

http://www.streetfire.net/video/my-s...lie_514156.htm
DANG!! You really put it on the poor little red one. He never knew what hit him!! It that thing all motor or are you running a power adder. And if so what is the power adder. I didn't hear a Turbo or a supercharger. Maybe a little spray perhaps? It sure runs well!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to bigblok86ranger
Wish my truck hooked like that!

Eric Millard
[email protected]

528ci of N/A power

Circle R Racing Engines

Trick Chassis
Beloit,WI 53511
608-313-9197

http://www.trickchassis.com/

"LOL, WE DONT RACE DYNOS" Quoted for the truth!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 06:18 PM

single fogger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in