switching to Drag Radials ! - 460 Ford Forum
General Race Tech All other topics, such as Fuel Delivery, Ignition, Engine, Safety, Data Aquisition, Suspension, etc...

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

switching to Drag Radials !

anyone running drag radials with success ! i'm tired of switching tires and drive my car very little on the street so what would be the best alternative to slicks !

1991 lx coupe sleeper "in progress", 460 d9te short block,c8ve heads ported stock valves,Ford Racing a443 cam,Torker 2 intake port matched,Holley 850dp "tricked,roller rockers,c6 rebuilt,2600 stall ,355 gears,hooker super comps,3" x pipe,26" drag radials,disc 8.8 rear,adj uppers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to crittersf1 Send a message via MSN to crittersf1 Send a message via Yahoo to crittersf1
Kuhmo makes a really nice drag radial

If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 07:30 AM

IMHO,stay away from the Nitto 555.I was using the Micky's on my truck and my Mustang with good results.I know guys that use the BFG with good results.

I bought 2 sets of the Nitto (1 for me 1 for a friend) because we heard you can get alot more mileage with street use.We can't get them to hook like the M/T.We've tried every possible pressure and burnout combination trying to get them work.HTH

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 08:32 AM

The BFG's are difficult (but not impossible) to get to hook if you have alot of power. The Hoosier DOT drag radial slick is much more forgiving. It has a 1 ply sidewall and is marked "not for street use" on the sidewall.
Gary

1992 Mustang GT 502 cu/in-631 hp Street Car
A-429 heads, KOOKS headers, Rollerized C-6
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 09:35 AM

I used to run BFGs until I bought my first set of MTs. Wow, that was a big difference. The BFGs always required a good burnout for good traction. The Mickeys have always been good with a light burnout. My best results were always to roll out as soon as I saw smoke. The BFGs needed good smoke in the rear-view before I rolled out.

Also, the Mickeys are good on the street in the rain for me until I'm down to the tread wear indicators. The BFGs were never ok to drive in the rain. The only problem here is the Mickeys get unpredictable on wet roads when they are worn out. The BFGs always had the same mannerisms on wet roads, but the Mickeys were very random in which direction and how much they slid (again, once they were almost bald). But to me, that's pretty much expected and what I get for driving on wet roads.

Long story short (too late), I vote MT ET Streets.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I currently run MT 275/60s and they've worked great at the track all season (1.58-1.62 60s). I've run both Hoosier and MT DRs on my vette (6sp) and prefer the Hoosier's on that car. They're lighter and hook better with the manual trans, but they do wear out much quicker.

The problem with the Hoosier's is they basically have no tread pattern so I wouldn't want to get caught in the rain with them.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to parkclay Send a message via Skype™ to parkclay
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjr View Post
I used to run BFGs until I bought my first set of MTs. Wow, that was a big difference. The BFGs always required a good burnout for good traction. The Mickeys have always been good with a light burnout. My best results were always to roll out as soon as I saw smoke. The BFGs needed good smoke in the rear-view before I rolled out.

Also, the Mickeys are good on the street in the rain for me until I'm down to the tread wear indicators. The BFGs were never ok to drive in the rain. The only problem here is the Mickeys get unpredictable on wet roads when they are worn out. The BFGs always had the same mannerisms on wet roads, but the Mickeys were very random in which direction and how much they slid (again, once they were almost bald). But to me, that's pretty much expected and what I get for driving on wet roads.

Long story short (too late), I vote MT ET Streets.
Thanks for this information. I have the BFG DOTs and have been told that they REALLY need a good burnout in the begining, but are ok after they have some runs on them that they are OK. I will be trying the Mickeys next.

Clay

63 Fairlane 528, 10.66 125.6 MPH at Bandimere
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)

why not just use an M/T ET STREETS, IVE TESTED BOTH for the last 5 years the et streets last longer then the d/rad do,

RICH
CIRCLE (R) 815 712 8738
--------------------------------
BUY,SELL, or TRADE BBF parts
Dynoed or Test STAND RAN
CYLINDER HEAD PORTING
HEAD FLOWING
COMPLETE ENGINES avb
From STOCK to NOT
PRO SYSTEMS CARBS
BOSS 302 351 429 800CI+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in