Just call me the nitrous Noobie!! - 460 Ford Forum
General Race Tech All other topics, such as Fuel Delivery, Ignition, Engine, Safety, Data Aquisition, Suspension, etc...

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Just call me the nitrous Noobie!!

Hello all,

Over the winter I plan on installing a ZEX system 82048 on my motor. To start I have 69' block, with SCAT 514 stroker kit with 6.8 H beam rods. Motor completely studded. Cometic head gaskets. Off the shelf roller cam, DOVE gutted heads, double valve springed alittle over recommended cam specs. Victor manifold with 1050 dom 8896-1. I have best a 10.18 with 1.39 sixty's. Just realized recently that my fuel pump was regulated at the pump @ only 6-8 psi! :shock: Now regulated at 21-23 psi, then regulated to 6-6.5 at the carb. That would explain my low mph which would be at 131-133. I have not been back to the track since the discovery, Anyway.....

Once I install this system, what kind of adjustments should I be looking to make on the carb. I know that I will have to use a y block to run a separate regulator for the nitrous. I know that I will have to retard the timing per the chart supplied if not 1 degree more than what they recommend. Should the carb have the power valve or should they be removed.

I will be using a WOT switch so the real noobie questions......Do I have to hold a stupid button all the way down the track? lol Is it best to spray entire run or if money provides use a timer? Will the DOVE heads be able to handle this? Only PLAN on using 150 shot max. I just want to hit that mid 9 sec and I would have surpass my original goal and that was build a 10 sec car right from the start.

93' LX hatch, 460 with mods and factory heads, TH400 trans, 9" w/ 3.89 spool. Best (so far!) of 10.04 @ 133 mph w/ 1.36 60'
Wanna see a low budget BBF run: (I know..the date trips me out!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70l4...e_gdata_player
I'm not SAYING, I'M JUST SAYING!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to crittersf1 Send a message via MSN to crittersf1 Send a message via Yahoo to crittersf1
The "WOT" switch will be your "button"

If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang93mustang View Post
Hello all,

Over the winter I plan on installing a ZEX system 82048 on my motor. To start I have 69' block, with SCAT 514 stroker kit with 6.8 H beam rods. Motor completely studded. Cometic head gaskets. Off the shelf roller cam, DOVE gutted heads, double valve springed alittle over recommended cam specs. Victor manifold with 1050 dom 8896-1. I have best a 10.18 with 1.39 sixty's. Just realized recently that my fuel pump was regulated at the pump @ only 6-8 psi! :shock: Now regulated at 21-23 psi, then regulated to 6-6.5 at the carb. That would explain my low mph which would be at 131-133. I have not been back to the track since the discovery, Anyway.....

Once I install this system, what kind of adjustments should I be looking to make on the carb. I know that I will have to use a y block to run a separate regulator for the nitrous. I know that I will have to retard the timing per the chart supplied if not 1 degree more than what they recommend. Should the carb have the power valve or should they be removed.

I will be using a WOT switch so the real noobie questions......Do I have to hold a stupid button all the way down the track? lol Is it best to spray entire run or if money provides use a timer? Will the DOVE heads be able to handle this? Only PLAN on using 150 shot max. I just want to hit that mid 9 sec and I would have surpass my original goal and that was build a 10 sec car right from the start.
Couple things....

First, lose the PV and square up the carb jetting. You need to get the carb as close to perfect on HP before you spray it. I assume your reading plugs after every pass?? Once the carb is right you shouldn't need to touch it when you do start to spray it.

Use a WOT on the throttle linkage and that will be your "button". The tune up that will come with the ZEX kit will be VERY safe. Follow the directions but plan on making FP changes to the N2O side as well as jet changes to the plate. Again, read plugs

Not sure about your build but I've been basement 9's lifting @ 1000ft in crappy air with a 42 jet (about 60hp) in the plate. Iron headed 508. You should get into the 9's fairly easy

PM me for more info. This is the same Tony on CMC. I'll give ya a hand with whatever you need

Tony

Circle R Performance
Team Z
Ultimate Converters

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhorse7 View Post
Couple things....

First, lose the PV and square up the carb jetting. You need to get the carb as close to perfect on HP before you spray it. I assume your reading plugs after every pass?? Once the carb is right you shouldn't need to touch it when you do start to spray it.

Use a WOT on the throttle linkage and that will be your "button". The tune up that will come with the ZEX kit will be VERY safe. Follow the directions but plan on making FP changes to the N2O side as well as jet changes to the plate. Again, read plugs

Not sure about your build but I've been basement 9's lifting @ 1000ft in crappy air with a 42 jet (about 60hp) in the plate. Iron headed 508. You should get into the 9's fairly easy

PM me for more info. This is the same Tony on CMC. I'll give ya a hand with whatever you need
Cool.....nice to know that you can help me out. Just gathering as much info as I can before time to install. Thanx for answering about the PV's too.

93' LX hatch, 460 with mods and factory heads, TH400 trans, 9" w/ 3.89 spool. Best (so far!) of 10.04 @ 133 mph w/ 1.36 60'
Wanna see a low budget BBF run: (I know..the date trips me out!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70l4...e_gdata_player
I'm not SAYING, I'M JUST SAYING!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in