Roll Bar install ??? - 460 Ford Forum
General Race Tech All other topics, such as Fuel Delivery, Ignition, Engine, Safety, Data Aquisition, Suspension, etc...

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Roll Bar install ???

I got my 8 point bar for my Fairlane that I am getting ready to install. Here is my question as I am reading up on the installation instructions it says that the car needs to be level before you start welding it up. Do they mean the car literally needs to be leveled ( on jack stands or what ever) or can I have the car sitting on the garage floor with the weight of the car loading the suspension the way it will sit? I am not sure how you would level a car where would you put the level? Scratching my head on this one.
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It doesn't need to be level as much as it needs to be flat. If the frame is twisted or bent when you weld the cage in it will hold the frame like that.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

roll bar

I know guys that measure the car from 4 corners and in the middle and a level on top of the car I think that would be the purpose of the jack stands under the frame parts u could adjust accordingly or unless u had a real nice garage floor but would still need to ck for [levelness]that a word ...I need to do my fairlane also. Bill

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to bigblok86ranger
Use a torpedo level on the inner rocker sill plate but if the car sits pretty close to level I wouldn't worry about it ,as the main reason is to get the main hoop level, which is not always possible and it can be tipped as far as 4*. The main hoop in both of my trucks was layed back for better fit. I would also level form side to side but try to keep the tires on the ground if possible.

Eric Millard
[email protected]

528ci of N/A power

Circle R Racing Engines

Trick Chassis
Beloit,WI 53511
608-313-9197

http://www.trickchassis.com/

"LOL, WE DONT RACE DYNOS" Quoted for the truth!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

What they mean is they want you to "level" (shim) the car on the jack stands. What this involves is correcting for any possible unwanted garage/shop floor high/low spots where the jack stands are sitting (and/or any differences in jack stand heights) by shimming up any low jack stand to make up the difference.

Without shimming up any low stands (and/or low spots) before installing the cage, it's possible you will end up building in unwanted twist (side to side and/or diagonally) into the race car body/chassis when the cage is done.

You also have to decide where the "correct" spots on the body/chassis are to place the jack stands. If your putting a cage in a car that still has all the nose weight of the engine/drivetrain still in the car, putting the jack stands in the wrong spots could really fuuk up things & make the doors hard to open & close correctly after the cage is in.

Putting a cage in while the engine/drivetrain weight is out of the car makes jack stand placement a lot easier giving you more fudge room if your placement is a little off the mark.

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. Dave::
460 street '66 Ranchero.......................finished someday.
460 race '70 Maverick..........................finished someday.
All 'glass Top Sportsman '69 Mustang......ummm, check back when I win big playing the Texas Lotto, or online poker.
My youtube page. Some ancient & newer local race video.

Join the Poker Players Alliance (theppa.org). US online poker should NOT be turned into a crime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in