Best way to pull the windshield in a 93 Foxbody?? - 460 Ford Forum
General Race Tech All other topics, such as Fuel Delivery, Ignition, Engine, Safety, Data Aquisition, Suspension, etc...

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)

Best way to pull the windshield in a 93 Foxbody??

I now have my car gutted. The rubberized/tar crap all scraped up off the floor pans (what a pain that was) and now I'm getting ready to weld in the 12 point cage. My question is what is the best way to get the windshield out?? Does Autozone rent a tool to do this or is there a cheap one to buy?? I obviously want it to go back in later so I thought I would ask the guys that have done this before. Thanks in advance!

Send Questions To: [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

poke a piece of .035 mig wire through the glue and use it as a saw ,takes a bit of work but will work
Frank
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merkl View Post
poke a piece of .035 mig wire through the glue and use it as a saw ,takes a bit of work but will work
Frank
I poked a piece of some kind of wire through and tried and it kept breaking. I didn't think about trying the welding wire. Good thinking!! And that will be waaayyyy cheaper than Autozone. Afterall... I got more time than money. Thanks Frank! I'll give it a shot.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've heard that braided fishing line works better.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I just happen to have some braided Trilene and Spider wire. That would kind of make sense. It would be more abrasive anyway. Maybe even some welding wire pulled through along with a couple of strands of the braided fishing line. I'll post back tomorrow and let you know...

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

i got a better idea////throw a rock through the windshield of your daily driver. when the glass guy is out there putting in a new one flip him a 20 for some side work. of course a glass package with your insurance is a must...lol, j/k of course bobn
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I'm not sure if this is the original windshield or not but this thing is proving to be impossible to remove. I've busted all kinds of .035 welding wire trying to get through it. I put a 120,000 btu heater right up close to the windshield to try to warm everything up so I can cut through the sealer easier. No dice.. I haven't even been able to pull the welding wire 1/2 inch through the sealer. It also looks like somebody went back over the top of the seal with regular clear silicone at one time. I'm thinking somebody has done something crazy when they put a new windshield in.

Any more suggestions other than call a glass place? I'm betting this thing doesnt' come out in one piece.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 07:42 PM

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to bigblok86ranger
Welding paper and masking tape and leave it alone. Tack weld main hoop in then tack the halo in and then put some heavy tacks on the front uprights, break the tacks holding the halo onto main hoop tip the front uprights and halo assembly down and weld solid then put it back up to main hoop and weld that solid. The reason I say to tack the main hoop is because you will certainly need it to move to break the tacks to be able to drop the halo down for welding (been there). Getting the main hoop and halo is definitely a 2 person job (I hate when the halo falls and hits me in the head).

Eric Millard
[email protected]

528ci of N/A power

Circle R Racing Engines

Trick Chassis
Beloit,WI 53511
608-313-9197

http://www.trickchassis.com/

"LOL, WE DONT RACE DYNOS" Quoted for the truth!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblok86ranger View Post
Welding paper and masking tape and leave it alone. Tack weld main hoop in then tack the halo in and then put some heavy tacks on the front uprights, break the tacks holding the halo onto main hoop tip the front uprights and halo assembly down and weld solid then put it back up to main hoop and weld that solid. The reason I say to tack the main hoop is because you will certainly need it to move to break the tacks to be able to drop the halo down for welding (been there). Getting the main hoop and halo is definitely a 2 person job (I hate when the halo falls and hits me in the head).
Sounds like words of wisdom from experience!! Actually I like that idea alot. It means that I have one less thing to do (or at this point pay for). The first time the welding wire broke I almost did a back flip because I was pulling on the thing so hard. It wasn't a total back flip but I did bust my a$$!!

....if at first you don't succeed. Fail, fail again!!

Thanks for the tip. If that doesn't work out I'll go for the suggestion before your and break out the cam hammer!!

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to bigblok86ranger
Yeah I found out the hard way on them Mustangs, other than having to run outriggers the nice thing about doing ttrucks is the cage drops through the floor so it makes them easier to fully weld the top of the cage, as long as you don't weld in the outriggers first (don't ask how I figured that out, LOL).

Eric Millard
[email protected]

528ci of N/A power

Circle R Racing Engines

Trick Chassis
Beloit,WI 53511
608-313-9197

http://www.trickchassis.com/

"LOL, WE DONT RACE DYNOS" Quoted for the truth!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

How do you know?? ...just kidding.

With any luck I'll be welding this weekend. The underside of the car and engine bay is all cleaned and painted I'm going to try your trick. At this point I guess I'd rather not take the windshield out. I do have the doors off so that should make it a little eaiser. Scraping the black tar matt crap off the floor was miserable. That is one of the worst things to do ever!

My wheels and tires got here today. I know you were right (or at least I hope you were). Those MT Streets are big. But I'm sure I'll get them up in the stock wheel wells. The wheels sure are pretty. Or at least they are shiny! I can't wait the get them on the car and see what it looks like.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 09:48 PM

You could cut holes in the floor so you can drop the cage down to get to the welds. Then pull the cage back up and slide the reinforcing plates under. That's how dad put the cage in his fairmont wagon. Just don't forget to paint the bars before pulling the cage up.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost4321 View Post
You could cut holes in the floor so you can drop the cage down to get to the welds. Then pull the cage back up and slide the reinforcing plates under. That's how dad put the cage in his fairmont wagon. Just don't forget to paint the bars before pulling the cage up.
I thought about that as well. I'll see how hard it is going to be to get to the top pieces. I may try to do that. But that will be a last resort.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

OK.. I finally decide to leave the windshield alone and not take it out because it was just being too difficult. So I go out there tonight to work on it. And then I see on the opposite side of the windshield from where I was working on it an 8 inch crack running down the windshield from the top. I mean W.T.F?? Really??

....regular price, $250 bucks, $250 bucks.

I should have taken up needle point instead. Sometimes this hobby SUCKS!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in