Spring rate??? - 460 Ford Forum
General Race Tech All other topics, such as Fuel Delivery, Ignition, Engine, Safety, Data Aquisition, Suspension, etc...

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Spring rate???

Looking for front coil spring advice.. I have a 86 mustang coupe that is gutted and I have moved the motor back about 4-6 inches. I am looking for a coil over spring kit and want to purchase the correct springs.. I am thinking 200 - 225# with the lakewood 90/10 struts.. the BBF has aluminum heads and the power glide has a straight cut 1.80 gear set.. I will also be running 29 X 9 X 15 slicks for one class 1/8 mile and switch the tires/wheels out for 29 X 10.5W X 15 for regular bracket racing other days.. So looking for a little advice on rear gears as well.. to keep from blowing the tires off 3.73 or 3.90 gears??

Thanks and will be getting more great advice from the people who know and have proven combos..

Motor is 501 with 12.5 to 1 making about 700HP at the rear wheels and would like to keep the 1/4 mile top end RPM around 6600-6800..

Thanks in advance
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 175 Post(s)

I have a foxbody as well and asked the exact same question about a year ago. I tried to dig up the thread and post the link for you but I couldn't find it so I will summarize what the experts told me. The spring rates you are looking at are to stiff. It seems that most people use the 175 pound spring rates and some of them even use the 150 pound springs. I went with the 175 pound spring rates. I bought the QA1 front struts that took the UPR coil over spring kit. It was a UPR kit but the springs were Eibach. I got the whole setup from Cale Aronson on here (he is one of the moderators of the forum, drives a prostock Mustang and has a speed shop in Missouri). If you haven't bought anything yet I would highly suggest dropping him a private message and getting his advice. He knows his stuff. Way better than any help you will get fromt the Summit Racing or Jegs tech guys. His prices are darn hard to beat as well. Shipping may take just a bit longer than the big boys but the service you get after the sale is well worth it. I'm serious... Send the screen name "Cale Aronson" a private message and let him help you out. You won't be sorry. Good luck with the build!!

Send Questions To: [email protected]
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 175 Post(s)

Here is a pic of what I got..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FrontStrut.jpg (95.5 KB, 35 views)

Send Questions To: [email protected]

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 09:10 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Mr S is right on all accounts. Just a little chassis/spring rate info....front spring rates that are "too low" (for street driving any way) can be compressed, storing energy, that will be given back by extending more easily when the weight comes off of them (during a launch) and aid in chassis rotation giving you weight transfer. Keep in mind that this is a generic statement and not a cure all for all cases. Different chassis set ups, suspension types, travel requirements, power levels, weight bias's, tire types etc. etc. all figure into exactly what YOUR chassis set up needs.
There are a lot of good technical books out there. One of them that is easy to follow and procure is "Door Slammers, The Chassis Book" by Dave Morgan.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/POW-POW901020/

Hope this helps.
Rob

Rob Hawes-Anchorage Rod Works-Anchorage, Alaska
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Mr. S

Thanks for your input.. I appreciate it very much.. I will have more questions later... I figured this to be the best place for advice on BBF mustangs.. I have posted pics on the car buildup page.. Getting ready to send my motor MME motorsports here in Maryland and let him go over my 501..

More pics to come..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 185.jpg (91.5 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in