dual fuel pumps - 460 Ford Forum
General Race Tech All other topics, such as Fuel Delivery, Ignition, Engine, Safety, Data Aquisition, Suspension, etc...

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage
dual fuel pumps

hey i wanna run dual fuel pumps to make sure that i have enough flow, cuz i have two blue holley fuel pumps just sitting on the shelf so i dont have to but a nice new magnafuel or something like that. i know this isnt prob the best way to do it, but have done it before and it seemed to work. just i dont know if i should have one on either side of the fuel filter or just have it gravity feed to fuel filter and then hook both pumps between the filter and the regulator? so i guess im looking for a fuel system drawing for a setup like this. thanks any input is very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 07:59 PM

dont have a schematic but you should run two separate suction lines from the tank to the pumps then after the pumps run into a y fitting then a large free flowing filter.

dkp

572 67 Mustang Super Gas
289 4 spd 68 Mustang Fastback
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshoss View Post
dont have a schematic but you should run two separate suction lines from the tank to the pumps then after the pumps run into a y fitting then a large free flowing filter.

dkp
ya alright i did have that thought put i didnt know how well it would work if one flowed better didnt want a vacuum which shouldnt happen that way u would get twice out of the tank. but need two fuel filters, then what would u do for a return

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 08:13 PM

If you ran one big filter you should be fine. As far as a return goes most Holley blue pumps I have seen are not set up as return line type systems although it is possible. Guys have disabled the internal relief system and run a bypass regulator at the front with a return to the tank.

dkp

572 67 Mustang Super Gas
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshoss View Post
If you ran one big filter you should be fine. As far as a return goes most Holley blue pumps I have seen are not set up as return line type systems although it is possible. Guys have disabled the internal relief system and run a bypass regulator at the front with a return to the tank.

dkp
no the pumps dont but i was wondering if i should make one with a regulator or something. alright so u want me to pull out of the tank with a pump on both sides thru a y then into the filter?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 11:48 PM

Asperated or Injected

If your asperated by nozzels, you need a manual actuation device to add aditional fuel as needed. If you are Injected you need to apply the to your intank fuel pump with a regulator.Another, if you are running carbs, progressive flow,injected is by amount of applied pressure.

[SIGPIC] Never Quess(FORD) First On Race Day
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 11:59 PM

what are you feeding and what are you doing with it? Drag Race, Street, Road Race, Off Road?

dkp

572 67 Mustang Super Gas
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to crittersf1 Send a message via MSN to crittersf1 Send a message via Yahoo to crittersf1
I'd just buy one good pump and let her eat. Less hassle to diagnose if/when you have a fuel issue.

If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersf1 View Post
I'd just buy one good pump and let her eat. Less hassle to diagnose if/when you have a fuel issue.
O I hear ya just don't wanna spend $300 or more on a pump when I have two brand new 140gph pumps or w.e they are. Idk if they would work in line with one another cuz I would like to run on one pump then switch the second on when I make my run.

Im 2wd truck pulling and feeding a single dominator
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

i agree with critter, but i can understand where your coming from...

having a dommy makes doing this a little easier. dommys like ALOT of fuel and we actually starved ours with only 1 line feeding each bowl on our 600ci puller, we now hav a 4 port reg with 2 lines to each bowl (dommys have 2 inlets per bowl). with 2 pickups out of the tank you could run 2 completely seperate fuel systems (pumps, lines, filters, regs, etc.) plumb one system to one inlet on each bowl and the other system to the other inlet. with both regs set at the same psi you could switch on/off either system remotely.

-Brett

1991 Ranger, (stockish) 460BBF and 2-1/2 ton Rockwells. WORK IN PROGRESS.

RIP Matt (greenbroncoguy) 6-16-86/1-29-12. You will be missed but never forgotten.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFRanger View Post

having a dommy makes doing this a little easier. dommys like ALOT of fuel and we actually starved ours with only 1 line feeding each bowl on our 600ci puller, we now hav a 4 port reg with 2 lines to each bowl (dommys have 2 inlets per bowl). with 2 pickups out of the tank you could run 2 completely seperate fuel systems (pumps, lines, filters, regs, etc.) plumb one system to one inlet on each bowl and the other system to the other inlet. with both regs set at the same psi you could switch on/off either system remotely.
That's a good setup right there but this will just be like 800-850 hp application. I think I starved it.before at a pull last year with different heads and now im adding hp I do t wanna run out. Idk maybe one 140I gph pump is dine but that's what I ran before but with small fuel filter but I know that fuel pump is prob low flow to fees that so I wanna make it work with the 2 pumps I have
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

I think I like that dual fuel system setup cuz I have 2 pumps. 2 regs. 2 filters just need to plumb them up. And ill get two 4500 fuel linesfor the carb and two gauges ans set same on both sides. What psi u rec.? Then I can run off one with no problem ans turn other on for the run down the track?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 10:54 AM

if you already have the parts for the twin system thats definatly what i would do. with 850hp that holley blue pump is past maxed out trying to supply that motor by itself.

if you have 2-dual port regs i would run seperate lines to each inlet on the bowls. the amount of fuel that needs to be flowed to the motor, i wouldnt risk starving a bowl. on our 600ci puller were right at 1000hp with a single 1250, we're runnign a single BG400 pump with 2 suction lines fromt he cell into a BG-4 port reg with seperate lines going to each inlet on the carb. our previous setup was same pump setup with a BG-2 port reg, one line to each bowl. we burn just about 3 gallons of fuel per pass, and over 3 when were on the 250 shot of spray.

if memory serves me right john at AED said dommys dont like alot of pressure about 6-7psi MAX.

edit- it could be tricky setting the fuel pressure for the first time, idk how the regs will like to back feed through the other when one system is off. i would probably set each side's pressure at 7psi with the other system blocked off just to be sure.

-Brett

RIP Matt (greenbroncoguy) 6-16-86/1-29-12. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Last edited by BBFRanger; 04-03-2012 at 10:56 AM.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
if you already have the parts for the twin system thats definatly what i would do. with 850hp that holley blue pump is past maxed out trying to supply that motor by itself.

if you have 2-dual port regs i would run seperate lines to each inlet on the bowls. the amount of fuel that needs to be flowed to the motor, i wouldnt risk starving a bowl. on our 600ci puller were right at 1000hp with a single 1250, we're runnign a single BG400 pump with 2 suction lines fromt he cell into a BG-4 port reg with seperate lines going to each inlet on the carb. our previous setup was same pump setup with a BG-2 port reg, one line to each bowl. we burn just about 3 gallons of fuel per pass, and over 3 when were on the 250 shot of spray.

if memory serves me right john at AED said dommys dont like alot of pressure about 6-7psi MAX.

edit- it could be tricky setting the fuel pressure for the first time, idk how the regs will like to back feed through the other when one system is off. i would probably set each side's pressure at 7psi with the other system blocked off just to be sure.
ya that is the only thing that i was worried about is running when the other is off, but that would be to just get around and on/off trailer and weighing up and all that then i would turn on the other pump for the run. now for a setup i think i would want to run like a fuel line/ rail on each side like this one. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-220102/
i think that would work fine and if there is two lines feeding each both i cant see it starving. on my other truck i run the big magna fuel pump and then just run it into one fore those lines and havnt had any trouble yet.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 12:36 PM

thats your call. IMO with 2-2 port regs your really only really utilizing both ports on a single reg setup, basically same difference as what was starving our build. with the 4 line setup you essentially utilizing BOTH regs to theyre full potential, having double the flow. better to have it and not need it than need it and have to redo it. just my .02.

hell even on my lil 466 with a 4150 style carb im running a twin line setup to the carb off a 4-port AREO reg, a AERO 1000 pump, 2 suction lines, 5/8" line. i decided to go big on my fuel system now for when i upgrade to a big dommy motor. for my nitrous system im going to come off my 2 suction lines with Ts to a seperate fuel pump/system with 1/2" line to a 2-port reg, each port feeding each fogger bank on the motor.

-Brett

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in