5/8 Rear Wheel Studs? - 460 Ford Forum
General Race Tech All other topics, such as Fuel Delivery, Ignition, Engine, Safety, Data Aquisition, Suspension, etc...

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)

5/8 Rear Wheel Studs?

I have a set of wheel lug studs that came from Moser when I got my 35 spline axles. The studs are 5/8. The wheels that I am going to use are from Billet Specialties. The wheels are supposed to be used with a shank style lug nut but I don't see any way to get a shanked lug nut on and down into the wheel with a 5/8 stud. Does anybody see a problem with me using the Moser 5/8 lug studs and the aluminium spacers on these wheels? Below is a picture of a lug stud and one of the rear wheels. The wheels fit the 5/8 stud just fine. It is a perfect fit when the wheel is upon the shoulder of the lug stud. I'm guessing I just put the aluminium spacers on after I put the wheel on so the lug nut will be able to tighten down while still on the threaded end before it gets to the shoulder. Let me know your thoughts please. I hate the idea of having to get the axle flanges redrilled for smaller lug studs.

Send Questions To: [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 09:04 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Chris, IMHO, as long as the stud fits the hole correctly (not sloppy) and there is enough thread to tighten the wheel down with a hard aluminum flat washer and you have at LEAST one thread showing past the nut when it's all torqued down, you're golden.
Rob

Rob Hawes-Anchorage Rod Works-Anchorage, Alaska
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lightning View Post
Chris, IMHO, as long as the stud fits the hole correctly (not sloppy) and there is enough thread to tighten the wheel down with a hard aluminum flat washer and you have at LEAST one thread showing past the nut when it's all torqued down, you're golden.
Rob
Thanks Rob.. It is a perfect fit when the wheel goes up over the shoulder of the stud. No slop at all. And these studs are plenty long enough so the nut tightens down with threads to spare. I think I will have to use the large aluminium spacer so the nuts don't run down to the shoulder of the bolt and run out of room to tighten. I was a bit concerned with the aluminium spacer scaring the surface of the wheel but I guess I can't worry about that. If it does then it does. The wheels are brand new. ....and they were expensive.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Chris,

That is exactly how my wheels are being done with the new 5/8" studs
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Chris, I have the same exact wheels with 5/8" studs and yes they fit "perfectly"
When you go to take them off they will be tight as hell, don't waste your time trying to
wiggle them back and forth with your hands, get under the car ( on jack stands of course) and kick the crap out of the back side of the tire, it will pop off easy........ask me how I know
;-)

John

Some people take themselves way too serious
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Hey thanks for the feed back guys. It helps. As long as two other people are doing it like this them I'm good with it. I just wanted to make sure that was indeed what I was supposed to do. ...and I have made a mental note to kick the crap out of the back of the tire when trying to remove them. On jack stands of course!!

John.. Do you use the aluminium spacers as well? I've seen these kind of studs & spacers on rails. Just not door slammer cars.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Yes on the spacers. If I remember I'll take a picture tomorrow when I'm in the trailer. I have quite a bit of threads sticking out past my lug nuts. My spacers are 1/2-3/4" thick if memory serves me correctly.

Some people take themselves way too serious
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

You can get different length aluminum spacers too. I believe the last ones I bought I got from Mark Williams, They were real nice. The spacer pressed onto the nut so that when you took the wheel off the spacer and nut stayed together, less stuff to get lost.

Jess

Last edited by Mustang-Junky; 04-04-2012 at 06:46 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Zac

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The spacers/washers WILL mar the finish on your wheels. It's a fact of life. They're acting as washers and will, some amount, move/turn on the face of the wheel. Soft aluminum, with torque applied, turning on soft aluminum is going to mar/scar both pieces of aluminum.

That said, the only areas marred are going to be under the spacers so it's not like you see the scoring when the wheels are installed on the car and the lugnuts are clamped.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac View Post
The spacers/washers WILL mar the finish on your wheels. It's a fact of life. They're acting as washers and will, some amount, move/turn on the face of the wheel. Soft aluminum, with torque applied, turning on soft aluminum is going to mar/scar both pieces of aluminum.

That said, the only areas marred are going to be under the spacers so it's not like you see the scoring when the wheels are installed on the car and the lugnuts are clamped.

Yep.. That is the way I saw it happenig as well. So.... I had my wife (with all of her fancy sewing equipment) cut some thick pieces of felt and I put them in behind the aluminium spacers to try to save the wheels as best I could. You never know.. I may want to sell them some day and some guy using regular wheel studs on a 5 on 4 1/2 inch pattern may not like the scaring.

MustangJunkey, I understand what you are saying about losing parts but that would mean the spacer would spin when I tightened the lug nut down. When I was out there tightening them tonight ( I actually got the lug studs installed after the other replys) I noticed that the aluminium spacer wasn't spinning on the wheel when I was tightening the lug nut so ultimately less scaring. So I guess I'll just have to keep track of the parts when I take them off.

....now where did I put my car keys and my wallet?? I have to go to Autozone.

Oh heck. I'm screwed.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScharfenberger View Post
Yep.. That is the way I saw it happening as well. So.... I had my wife (with all of her fancy sewing equipment) cut some thick pieces of felt and I put them in behind the aluminum spacers to try to save the wheels as best I could. You never know.. I may want to sell them some day and some guy using regular wheel studs on a 5 on 4 1/2 inch pattern may not like the scaring.

MustangJunkey, I understand what you are saying about losing parts but that would mean the spacer would spin when I tightened the lug nut down. When I was out there tightening them tonight ( I actually got the lug studs installed after the other replys) I noticed that the aluminum spacer wasn't spinning on the wheel when I was tightening the lug nut so ultimately less scaring. So I guess I'll just have to keep track of the parts when I take them off.

....now where did I put my car keys and my wallet?? I have to go to Autozone.

Oh heck. I'm screwed.
The felt will be OK for mock up but don't run it like that.......of course you knew that already lol. The marring on the wheel is not going to be noticed outside the washer area, as stated, and if someone ever puts a shoulder style lug nut on it it will have a washer any way! lol
Rob

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lightning View Post
The felt will be OK for mock up but don't run it like that.......of course you knew that already lol. The marring on the wheel is not going to be noticed outside the washer area, as stated, and if someone ever puts a shoulder style lug nut on it it will have a washer any way! lol
Rob
DOAH!! Dang Rob. You're a party pooper.... OK. I'll take the felt off. For a seond there I thought I had this one beat!!

But I will say one thing for your post. The shank style lug nuts do come with washers as you stated. I had not thought about that so they will hide the scaring. I'm just being a wussball because they are brand new wheels. And they weren't cheap.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScharfenberger View Post
DOAH!! Dang Rob. You're a party pooper.... OK. I'll take the felt off. For a seond there I thought I had this one beat!!

But I will say one thing for your post. The shank style lug nuts do come with washers as you stated. I had not thought about that so they will hide the scaring. I'm just being a wussball because they are brand new wheels. And they weren't cheap.
LOL....."The first cut is the deepest!"
Rob

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

The spacer and nut spin after being pressed together. It is kinda hard to explain. Here is a link.

http://www.markwilliams.com/detail.aspx?ID=625

Jess
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang-Junky View Post
The spacer and nut spin after being pressed together. It is kinda hard to explain. Here is a link.

http://www.markwilliams.com/detail.aspx?ID=625

Jess
I get it. The spacer & nut will spin independently of each other. That is a good idea. Thanks for posting the link. I appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in