Choosing the Correct Rockers for my BBF with BIG Springs - 460 Ford Forum
General Race Tech All other topics, such as Fuel Delivery, Ignition, Engine, Safety, Data Aquisition, Suspension, etc...

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Choosing the Correct Rockers for my BBF with BIG Springs

Im building a 532, Rons Toilet Injection, Blue Thunder Heads.
Im having trouble deciding on Rockers.. let me go a head and throw out the fact that i dont want to do shaft mount rockers, due to Money, or should i say the Lack of money.. the Springs im going to run are Comp 947-16, with a O.D. of 1.645. they also have a pretty heafty open pressure. Comp told me today on the phone that the Ultra Golds will bust in half, due to too high spring pressure. and two seperate Tech's at Comp have suggested to run the 1830-16 - Ultra Pro Magnum XD. I told them summits website says the spring clearance is 1.550. Comp's response was "it should work"....... i feel that they will hold up to the spring pressure, but i dont feel like spending $400 on a set of rockers, and then have to modify them.. Let me know what yall think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 11:43 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Rocker to retainer clearance can be corrected with a custom length push rod when you determine your contact pattern and push rod length.
Rob

Rob Hawes-Anchorage Rod Works-Anchorage, Alaska
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 175 Post(s)

Crane Gold Race Roller Rockers

I run Crane Gold Race Roller Rockers. I have around 750 pounds open seat pressure with a Lunati 51606 cam (.735/.735). The rockers are now 14 years old (that is hard for me to believe, time flies). I have never had a single issue with them and they all still feel smooth as silk. They are an excellent product. I believe that they are also rebuildable. They are kind of expensice compared to others ($428 at Summit) but you get what you pay for. Don't skimp on the motor internals and it will pay you back in the end. I highly recommend them. Here is a link to them on Summit Racing.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRN-27750-16/

Send Questions To: [email protected]

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)

I've used the 1830 comp rockers with a 1.640" spring w/o any issues.

B F Evans Race Parts
270-278-2376
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Premium Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneSaw View Post
Im building a 532...Blue Thunder Heads.

Im having trouble deciding on Rockers.. let me go a head and throw out the fact that i dont want to do shaft mount rockers...the Springs im going to run are Comp 947-16, with a O.D. of 1.645. they also have a pretty heafty open pressure. Comp told me today on the phone that the Ultra Golds will bust in half, due to too high spring pressure. and two seperate Tech's at Comp have suggested to run the 1830-16 - Ultra Pro Magnum XD.... but i dont feel like spending $400 on a set of rockers, and then have to modify them.. Let me know what yall think.
I think that when it comes to custom engine building, parts detailing and/or modification is often the norm and that includes releiving rocker arm bodies.

Currently, there are a lot of cheapo rocker arms on the market and thinking with your wallet instead of selecting parts based on quality can effectively destroy your exotic engine in the blink of an eye. A lot of parts suppliers these days sell components that they do not manufacture and you really need to know the part's origins and actual make-up, and you'd be suprised who some of these big name suppliers are...and how cheap their parts really are.

Then there's the matter of good design geometry for the 385 Series engine, and of which most every stud rocker arm that is made today is a compromise for its poly-angle cylinder head...but I won't get into that now.

In your particular case I would select a good steel rocker arm body, and that might be the Comp 1830 that Lem suggested or the Crower 73615. Not only are the Crower's expensive but that price does not include poly-locks; no matter as you should be running a stud girdle (with the stud girdle's proprietary poly-locks) anyway. There are some good aluminum ones out there, too.

Paul

P.S.: Beware of rocker arm manufacturers that will not disclose exactly what grade material they are using in their rocker arms. There are a number of them--including some american manufacturers--that are using what I (and other rocker arm manufacturers) consider to be an ultra-low grade of aluminum that was developed for an entirely different application and which makes the rocker arms innapropriate for use in big springed engines such as yours. Most of these manufacturer's offer a "lifetime warranty" on their rocker arms so as to imply (and in effect, mislead) that their rocker arms are strong, but in reality when your engine grenades due to their failed rocker arm they already have your money and they lose nothing except for handing you another rocker arm and they have fulfilled their obligation with you. Pesonally, I'd much rather have true, top-of-the-line rocker arms with zero warranty.

We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family

Last edited by Paul Kane; 06-19-2012 at 12:40 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)

The 73615-16 Crower rockers do include poly locks.......there is a suffix to the part # that deletes the locks.......I believe it's NS.

B F Evans Race Parts
270-278-2376
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

im down to spend $400-$500+ on a set of Rockes, im just not in the market to spend $1000 - $1500 right now on a set of shaft mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lem Evans View Post
I've used the 1830 comp rockers with a 1.640" spring w/o any issues.
Well Lem, if 1.640 has cleared with those Comp Steel rockers, I will go with them. im sure i can get my 1.645 to clear.

and Paul, thanks for the heads up on the poor quality parts. that seems to be quite the trendy thing to do these days.. that is sell poor quality part, just to make a dollar.

Proly will stay away from any aluminum rockers.

Thanks to all for the help.

by the way, my open spring pressure is 848#, and my lift at the valve will be 837/796. incase anyone wanted to know.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 07:22 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScharfenberger View Post
I run Crane Gold Race Roller Rockers. I have around 750 pounds open seat pressure with a Lunati 51606 cam (.735/.735). The rockers are now 14 years old (that is hard for me to believe, time flies). I have never had a single issue with them and they all still feel smooth as silk. They are an excellent product. I believe that they are also rebuildable. They are kind of expensice compared to others ($428 at Summit) but you get what you pay for. Don't skimp on the motor internals and it will pay you back in the end. I highly recommend them. Here is a link to them on Summit Racing.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRN-27750-16/
Jon kaase racing engines has them for $341, jegs and summit will price match that price!!

Also has anyone used the shaft mounted ford racing roller rockers pn# m-6564-c351c they retail for $420 (its the first time i have seen these) would be interesting to hear how good or bad they really are.

Cheers, Bob
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 08:56 AM

scorpion rocker are rated to 900 lbs. and have a lifetime warranty and around $250ish made in USA

Drag week quickest street rod
2009 2010
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to crittersf1 Send a message via MSN to crittersf1 Send a message via Yahoo to crittersf1
I've been running my Scorpions for over 10 years now with no problems.

If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 09:38 PM

Crane gold wide bodys worked good for me as far as geometry and spring clearance with 1.640 triples. I cannot attest to the durability because the engine is not finished, but as far as fit goes, I couldn't be happier.

Derek

79' mustang 528/glide
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in