Wiring charging lugs on a race car - 460 Ford Forum
General Race Tech All other topics, such as Fuel Delivery, Ignition, Engine, Safety, Data Aquisition, Suspension, etc...

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wiring charging lugs on a race car

I have reached the point of my build where I am doing the wiring. My question is how do you wire the charging lugs to the battery? Do you wire them downstream of the master switch? Before the switch? Is the positive hot while you are running? This seems to be the last thing keeping me from completing the wiring. Any photos of what you guys have done would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 11:04 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
I have reached the point of my build where I am doing the wiring. My question is how do you wire the charging lugs to the battery? Do you wire them downstream of the master switch? Before the switch? Is the positive hot while you are running? This seems to be the last thing keeping me from completing the wiring. Any photos of what you guys have done would be greatly appreciated.
Since they don't service anything while the vehicle is running I think that they can leagally be wired before the disconnect switch. That's what I did on my Rail. That way you don't HAVE to have the disconnect on and there would be no mistakes made by thinking that the car had no power when it did. Does that make sense?

Since my battery is in the front of my car (for ballast) and the master disconnect is about 8' away and because weight is the enemy and I didn't want to run about 30' of #0GA cable to the master and back to the battery, I installed a constant duty solonoid right close to the battery on my toe board and signal the primary side with 16GA wire and break it in the drivers compartment, on the driver protecter plate (for emergency system shut down while doing run ups) and back at the back of the car to satisfy the santioning body's rules with a regular battery disconnect and handle assembly (over kill I know but it was a simple install). That gives the car 3 real system shut down points.
Rob

Rob Hawes-Anchorage Rod Works-Anchorage, Alaska

Last edited by White Lightning; 09-25-2012 at 11:23 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Rob,

Thank you for the reply. I wasn't sure if keeping the positive lug hot all the time was the best option. I know it has the plastic cover. This is going into a 93 Mustang hatch with the battery in the trunk so everything is right there. I even considered putting in a separate cut off switch between the lug and the battery just to keep it cold unless charging.

Mark

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
Rob,

Thank you for the reply. I wasn't sure if keeping the positive lug hot all the time was the best option. I know it has the plastic cover. This is going into a 93 Mustang hatch with the battery in the trunk so everything is right there. I even considered putting in a separate cut off switch between the lug and the battery just to keep it cold unless charging.

Mark
Mark, If it's the type that I'm thinking about, like a welding lead male and female, then I think that it will either be a recessed female end for the car side or they have a plastic cover. Let me research it.
Rob

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 12:42 PM

Here you go. I couldn't satisfy Summit's search engine to find anything on there.

http://www.jerrybickel.com/search?qu...w=&price_high=

This is the type that I use (the gray ones). I hard mount it on my toe pannel. You'll need two of them (unless they come as a pair).

http://www.jerrybickel.com/search?qu...=Search&st=prd

Rob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in