Taking the fat girl to the dance. Basic autocross ?s - 460 Ford Forum
General Race Tech All other topics, such as Fuel Delivery, Ignition, Engine, Safety, Data Aquisition, Suspension, etc...

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Taking the fat girl to the dance. Basic autocross ?s

Hello, all. Just thought I'd see if anyone else has run their muscle car at an autocross/gymkhana type event, and getting some basic pointers on set-up. I'll be running my 72 Mach 1 with the 14x7s and 15x8s, 235/60 front, 255/60 rears. Car has a 552 and C6 auto and 3.91 gears. Got an autocross event coming up September 1st, and it'll be my first time driving. Suspension is stock with the exception of bigger anti-sway bars and KYB Gas-a-just shocks. Don't want to mess with alignment or anything, but just looking for some info on a basic set-up, like tire pressures front and rear, should I go with the tank full or empty, etc. Looking forward to flogging a leaning, tire burning, big heavy muscle car out there, and I'm not expecting to win anything, but I'd like to do as good as I can with what I have. I know I'm 8 million miles away from an optimum set-up, but this'll be a once a year type fun deal for me . Any info and help is appreciated. Thanks,

Lucas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mach16.jpg (80.8 KB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)

Garage
I've heard that a lot of those guys over-inflate their tires 10psi beyond the sidewall max. A full tank would be a good idea for weight bias and to keep the pickup submerged.

There's not any real speed or handling to speak of with these parking lot deals. It's pretty much just a place to mash the gas and drive like an idiot without getting a ticket. If you want some real high speed handling, find a real road course and sign up for an open lapping day....it's almost too much fun to be legal.

Fastest street legal BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest AFR headed BBF on 460Ford.com
Fastest street legal 2nd gen Montego GT on EARTH!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Carl. I've ridden with my buddies a few times. One in a well set up 5.0 Mustang, and the other in a 71 Camaro with a 468, Corvette C5 4 wheel disc brakes, 18s, full Eibach suspension, etc....It is a blast! They're both amateurish types running huge low profile tires, so don't think they'll be much help for me on set-up. I'll be running against the Camaro (I know he's going to kill me) and another friend who just finished a pro-touring aluminum small block Chevelle. Just don't want to get crushed too badly by them haha....I initially set this car up as a do anything ride the best we knew how back in the 90s, which is why it's got the anti-sway-bars and KYBs. It's turned into more of a hot street/drag car, but I still want to have fun with it doing everything it can, which includes beating the snot out of it around corners. Good idea about the fuel and sloshing. I just have a stock tank with an external fuel pump, so no baffling, and figured it might help with the already extremely limited traction. But I'm looking forward to driving like an idiot for sure, legally.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Take a friend with a video camera--just for laffs.Try not to get lost and finish.Smoooth is the Quickest way around the course.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSA 91 View Post
Take a friend with a video camera--just for laffs.Try not to get lost and finish.Smoooth is the Quickest way around the course.
Oh buddy, I know all about getting lost out there....that's why I've ridden with my friends so much! I'm like the co-pilot at a rally event haha....Left! Left! Right! Left! I'm going to try to borrow a Go-Pro and mount it to the dash or helmet, for sure. I've got some willing "participants" to take over the navigator position, because this thing is one squirrely machine on the street, so the guys that helped put it together can't wait to do a ride along when I can actually hold it open for a bit longer after some corners .
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

With 552 cubic inches and a 3.91 gear I wouldn't worry too much about tire pressure. Your going to be steering with the gas pedal. Full tank of gas is good advice. Not because of uncovering the pick up but so you don't run out before the finish line!

Get some video and post it if you can.

1973 Mustang Convertible
460 D0VE-C Heads w/CJ size valves, Lunati voodoo 227/233 cam, Edelbrock performer rpm manifold, FPA headers, Holley 950 HP carb, C6 w/2500 stall converter, 3.50 trac lock
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lol that sounds like so much fun. You will have to give us some action pics or videos. I would love to do something like that in my wagon. I stiffened up the front real good now I have to get some good shocks and maybe a sway bar for the back. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

P.s. I doubt you will get any traction with that beast lol

By the way love the title

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by 68montego; 08-20-2013 at 06:17 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I have run autocross events SCCA sponsered. The real idea is to run the course as smoothly as possible. My current car is realy set up more for open track days. Nearest open tracks are about 100 mi away so havent done that yet. Autocross reviled a few tweeks needed though and was fun. At least untill a tech guy tore my 450 dollar helmet appart. Also blew my rear and gearing is not correct for the time being. Too many other projects.
Car did out run some M3s, 370Zs, boxter porshe by 4 to 4.5 seconds. LOL then got toasted by a old Volvo waggon.

my track car
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dam 002.JPG (51.1 KB, 14 views)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

My 73 Mach 1 351C 4V Had same tires as my 69 and 70 Mustangs 275 50s front and 295 50s on the rear 8" and 10" xs 15 wheels. Never could achive the handling the 69 and 70s did. Front springs were around 720# on all vehicles.
Began to think it had something to do with the redesign of the front suspension bigg car P/S and changes to fit the 385 series engines wasnt well thought out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1406.jpg (36.3 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by turbo2256b; 08-20-2013 at 08:17 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyK View Post
With 552 cubic inches and a 3.91 gear I wouldn't worry too much about tire pressure. Your going to be steering with the gas pedal. Full tank of gas is good advice. Not because of uncovering the pick up but so you don't run out before the finish line!

Get some video and post it if you can.
Will try to get the video posted for sure, and you're 100% correct about the fuel mileage. I get 9 mpg driving nicely down the highway at 65 mph, 6 in town. We tried the slip sliding the rear with my buddies Camaro, then went smooth like turbo2256b suggested, as a guy at that event told us to do the same, and smooth was quite a bit faster, even though it felt slower. Turning and burning was way more fun though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68montego View Post
Lol that sounds like so much fun. You will have to give us some action pics or videos. I would love to do something like that in my wagon. I stiffened up the front real good now I have to get some good shocks and maybe a sway bar for the back. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

P.s. I doubt you will get any traction with that beast lol

By the way love the title

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks. This thing is more than a handful on the street . It will do rolling burnouts at 35-45 mph in 1st gear, and will just light them off clear into 3rd and keep burning till you let off. I figured the title would get more views and replies, and seems to have worked haha.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2256b View Post
I have run autocross events SCCA sponsered. The real idea is to run the course as smoothly as possible. My current car is realy set up more for open track days. Nearest open tracks are about 100 mi away so havent done that yet. Autocross reviled a few tweeks needed though and was fun. At least untill a tech guy tore my 450 dollar helmet appart. Also blew my rear and gearing is not correct for the time being. Too many other projects.
Car did out run some M3s, 370Zs, boxter porshe by 4 to 4.5 seconds. LOL then got toasted by a old Volvo waggon.

my track car
That car looks sweet, definitely different from the norm....We've got a lot of hi-end cars that run here, but the fastest is a stone stock Scooby-Doo (Subaru) WRX....other than the race prepped 5.0s, that is.

I've got more pics and info on the car in the build thread section, too, if anyone's interested to see the engine and such.....
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 03:24 PM

Show up at least 2 hours early and walk the whole track at least 3 times walking the path where you think your car should be.

Full tank of gas.

most tracks put it in 2nd gear and leave it there the whole time.

Bring an air tank and pressure gauge to staging lanes. Mark your tires with chalk on the side tread area in 3 spots mark all 4 tires like that, and set air pressure to what it says in the tire.
Take your first pass. Look at each tire and see if the ware pattern is passing the side tread and going to the side wall if it is, you need more pressure, if not try lowering pressure to get it to use the whole tread of the tire.

Every pass check tire pressure and adjust, you will find the sweet spot (pressure) for front and a sweet spot rear tire pressure. (pressure settings are all about how you like the car to feel and change drastically with heat)

Then just go out and have fun, SMOOTH IS FAST! Cones don't damage your car, and the whole objective of autocross is to take your car to its limits and part of learning the limit is passing the limits of what your car can do (witch means spinning out in a turn, or going to fast in a turn and continuing straight with your wheel turned and taking out more cones)

I'm not the best but right now with missing a few events i'm 78th place out of 292 cars driving one of the oldest cars in the group.

http://tsscc.org/2013/season_pax_points.htm

have fun and dont be upset when a miata turns a better time than you.

Last edited by twekd1; 08-21-2013 at 03:30 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. Our event is a 2 day deal, and the first day we'd show up and walk the course and they actually would put down a white chalk line to follow, but the second day they change the course and the line means squat. Good info on the tire marking, and those Miatas are pesky little devils. We've got a pretty evil Porsche Cayman S that runs here, too. Just so long as I beat the Chevelle, I'll be stoked.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 04:28 PM

o ya drive with 2 feet. Again dont be afraid to plow through a pile of cones and have fun beating on your car.

bring water and sunblock, and a bagged lunch for when you have to work.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Absolutely....kinda scared of the cones haha....I've won quite a few "best paint" awards with the car. I've got 2 years in body and paint alone, but, like I said, I built the thing to drive and have fun , and beating it mercilessly is definitely part of the plan. Just watched your video. Wow! That's a big course. The fast cars here were doing ours in the 54 second range the second day last year. Just looking forward to driving instead of riding. Thanks again.

Lucas
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Here's a pic of me and the car in tech. Ended up 2nd in my class (Street/Modified) behind a modded BMW M3. Started at a 1:07.31 and cut my time down to 58.22 after 9 runs . Trying to figure out how to transfer video from my Facebook to here. What a BLAST! They were calling the car the green monster....absolutely no traction, 3rd gear burnouts all the way around haha.....Not the fastest way to run, but sure the most fun. I'll work on getting the video after work tonight.

Lucas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg race.jpg (99.4 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in