blown 545 with bird catcher on alky idling problem - 460 Ford Forum
General Race Tech All other topics, such as Fuel Delivery, Ignition, Engine, Safety, Data Aquisition, Suspension, etc...

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

blown 545 with bird catcher on alky idling problem

im working on my blown 545 bbf 8-71 bds blower 25% overdriven bird catcher on alcohol 110 pump that flowes 13.2 gpm at 4000 rpm im at 5000ft above sea level . i leak down the barrel valve to 60% .013 on the butterflys 125 pill the spool is a 17 for blown alky. timing is crank trigger at 30 btdc .when she starts skyrockets to 4000rpm the only way she idles is if i close the butterflys . i wanted to retain my tank in the back so im using two bg 400 pumps fed by -10 lines after the pumps i tied the two -10 together and went with a single -12 to the front where i built my own vst tank from a 4'' piece of stainless pipe 12'' tall i supply in -12 about 2'' down from the top of tank then i return -12 from top of vst tank back to fuel cell. the injector pump is fed from the bottom of this tank with -12 .the tank operates at 5-6 psi and the 3 way valve bypass is tied into this tank also the bypass from the birdcatcher is -6 and also goes to this tank and i think this is where the problem lies as this puts 5-6 psi to the return line .anybody have any thoughts on this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

idling

Im running a blown BBF with a bird catcher and was running race gas last year. I was idling at 18-2000 which seemed high to me. I hooked up with Jon from Resolution Racing and, besides asking "why racing gas and not alky", lol, he told me to drop my butterfly gap from 13 to 10 to help me in tuning and it did BIG TIME and dropped my idle to 1,500. Now I have switched to alky but am still assembling the new engine. I NEVER had the idle go that high unless I pulled the stop cable out to lean it. I was running same return size as you and was running electric from rear to front tank and Jon told me to go larger on my mechanical pump inlet but I would have no problems with the return lines remaining the same and I went from 4 returns to just 2.

QUESTION.... has it idled that high right from the start when you installed it? Or is it something that started to happen?

If you need some good advice and a great guy to talk to and deal with I would give Jon Salemi at Resolution Racing a call, Buffalo NY, Phone# 716-860-4200 & 716-832-7583
[email protected]

Guy REALLY knows his sh*t!!!

Keep me posted on what you find just in case I run into issues when I get the alky run pretty soon here. Hope you figure it out!

Auggie

PS
ALL 4 of my returns were going to my front tank which was fed by electric at 5-6psi just like you are doing and that tank pressure never caused any problems for me being that way. But like I said, I was running racing gas then..... now it will be alky so I am VERY curious as to what you find

Last edited by ag460torino; 02-16-2014 at 06:51 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Talking

it started idling high right from the start .I leaked down barrel valve to 65% and had .010 on the butterflys idle jumped to 4000. as soon as I closed the butterflys (wich also closed barrel valve )it started idling good goes from 1300-1700. talked to kinsler and earl said if you pressurize the mechanical pump inlet it will richen the idle mixture so those suggested stats are out the window.im using two bg 400 to a 4''x12'' stainless vst tank I built .I bypass in the back right from pumps to the fuel tank in the trunk two #8 . think im gona change that after talking to kinsler.think im gona bypass at the return line at the vst so I have full flow to the tank and gona use a Weldon A2047 regulator to control pressure.gona take it to the dyno on sat to see what she puts out.im excided

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

tell me about your vst tank did you build it yourself ? does it have baffling? how big is it
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 08:06 AM

Front cell

I also run an Enderle hat injector, but not blown. My set up has a 4 gal front cell & a 12 gal rear that I plumbed into the top of my front cell next to one of the returns, I use this to transfer fuel (alky) from the rear to the front for short trips on the street to give me some range. Front pump is only 80-A as not blown. I'm wondering if you may be having some issues with aeration due to your front surge tank size/shape? These things move a ton of fuel, just something to consider.
Sheldon G.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

oversight

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown545onalky View Post
tell me about your vst tank did you build it yourself ? does it have baffling? how big is it
I'm sorry, I didn't see the question about my tank. I'm sure you have probably figured it out by now but if you still want to know about my old tank I was talking about or my new set up just PM me and I would be glad to answer any questions you have.

Again, VERY sorry for my oversight!!!

Auggie

PS
I'm just finishing up and getting ready to drop the new engine in so I am still curious on what you came up with. I am running a 3 gal tank up front now with the same set up where my returns will actually go into a fuel log then into my front tank. The only thing returning to my rear tank is the alky from my regulator where I split it off to fill front tank, prime engine and feed NOS solenoid. That regulator will dump to the rear.

Last edited by ag460torino; 05-17-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in