Fox body Engine Diaper?? - 460 Ford Forum
General Race Tech All other topics, such as Fuel Delivery, Ignition, Engine, Safety, Data Aquisition, Suspension, etc...

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)

Fox body Engine Diaper??

OK guys... I put 15 minutes into a Google search and came up with nothing. What are you running for an engine diaper? Is there anything made specifically for a BBF? Or a BBF with a Moroso oil pan? Clearance is tight in the 1993 Foxbody so I want to get one that fits correctly. I read lots of not so good things about the universal fit ones from Jegs & Summit. Things like hard to install and melting the nylon straps when they touched the headers. My local track does not require them but I figure it would be a good idea to have one anyway. I have no desire to have a rod let loose on the far end and squirt oil under the rear tires. Plus the car will probably go to some tracks that do requre them. Let me know what you guys are using on these fox body cars. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

ttt
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

http://www.enginediapers.com/

I don't know if this will help you or not, but it says they make custom ones. The pics. in the photo gallery look nice.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 06:52 PM
Forum Contributor

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DRE is supposed to be good, I need to get one too, tracks around here require it, but would really like to make a belly pan.

84 hatch scj headed 472" on 10" tires
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFord460 View Post
http://www.enginediapers.com/

I don't know if this will help you or not, but it says they make custom ones. The pics. in the photo gallery look nice.
Thanks for posting that. I guess I'm going to have to call them on Monday. I saw in the gallery a picture of what looked like a 460 in a foxbody with the same oil pan that I have. I have no idea what all the measurements were that they were asking for so hopefully they will already know based on what I saw in their gallery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearcobra View Post
DRE is supposed to be good, I need to get one too, tracks around here require it, but would really like to make a belly pan.
What's a belly pan?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)

DRE ,Ive used a few of them.

belly pan, no thanks, seen 5 cars burn to the ground because of them, fill with gas,and 1 fill with aluc, cars poped,and had a spark hit the pan. only 2 of the cars lived

RICH
CIRCLE (R) 815 712 8738
--------------------------------
BUY,SELL, or TRADE BBF parts
Dynoed or Test STAND RAN
CYLINDER HEAD PORTING
HEAD FLOWING
COMPLETE ENGINES avb
From STOCK to NOT
PRO SYSTEMS CARBS
BOSS 302 351 429 800CI+
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I got mine from DJ Safety http://www.djsafety.com/ Good fit...reasonable price.

Unfortunately, it was tested out today and from what I hear (buddy of mine was borrowing my car while I was out of town) it did its job nicely.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

D&J is cool place. Big Ben even did a small alteration on ours for our 460 dragster.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I was out measuring today. I have one header pipe on the passenger side that clears the oil pan by only about 1/2 of an inch for about a 6 inch run. I'm not sure I'd get an engine diaper on there.

Are the diapers & coverings for them heat resistant? Or is that what they sell the $1000 dollar diapers for? You know... So they won't burn up? If they don't sell one that can live while touching a header tube I'm not sure I'll ever get one on there that can do the job.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 07:58 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Chris, it's my understanding that the more expensive 'ballistic' diapers are the ones that contain debris from a engine failure. I doubt that any of them are heat proof (but I could be wrong). All the sanctioning groups are after is fluid containment. Personally I prefer the belly pan and replaceable absorbent inserts. I can't really see any difference between a belly pan and a diaper when it comes to retaining flammable fluids......and the belly pan pads are very affordable to replace. I would imagine that the diaper would have to be washed at the least if not dry cleaned. None of them is convenient to deal with.
Rob

Rob Hawes-Anchorage Rod Works-Anchorage, Alaska
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lightning View Post
Chris, it's my understanding that the more expensive 'ballistic' diapers are the ones that contain debris from a engine failure. I doubt that any of them are heat proof (but I could be wrong). All the sanctioning groups are after is fluid containment. Personally I prefer the belly pan and replaceable absorbent inserts. I can't really see any difference between a belly pan and a diaper when it comes to retaining flammable fluids......and the belly pan pads are very affordable to replace. I would imagine that the diaper would have to be washed at the least if not dry cleaned. None of them is convenient to deal with.
Rob
That is my understanding to Rob but this is not an area that I'm an expert in. Well that really kind of sucks... After reading Boss429's post on this thread the belly pan thing scares me. I put the Dzus hood fasteners on the car and if I did have an engine compartment fire it would take a while to get all of those little boogers unhooked (I love the look. But the functionality of the Dzus fasteners kind of sucks). Probably even longer with flames licking at my knuckles!! I hate to think that I just built a car that I'll only be able to run at my local 1/8 mile track. I'd really like to be able to take it down to Bowling Green KY and Indianapolis and let her rip through the 1/4. I'm pretty sure they will want a diaper on the car but I don't know that for sure but I'm going to have to find out what their rules are. I don't know what the car will run but I'm thinking it will be about a 9.5 second car through the 1/4.

I guess I could always buy the $550 fire extinguisher set up from Cale. That is cheap considering the $6000 dollar hospital bill I had from the last time I lit myself on fire! ...and now for my next trick!

Last edited by MrScharfenberger; 10-27-2014 at 08:43 PM.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 07:11 PM

DRE diaper

I have a DRE diaper on my car and run a canton pan. The fit was great but.... It has burnt every strap on the thing. As hard as I tried to keep straps away from headers they still burned.

Bleedin Ford Blue! "For what shall it profit a man to gain the whole world yet forfeit his soul."
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)

I think aluminized Kevlar is what you want for both heat and shrapnel retention. It's what I have on the windsor in my car. I know a guy that gets them at a real good price through ramjetracing.net. I can get you in touch with him or you can get a quote directly through ramjet. I've had mine in direct contact with header pipes with no burn through. Unless things have changed recently, most sanctions that require a diaper don't require it to be "SFI". They can make the diapers "custom", so they fit really well. I can get a pic of mine if you like.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 04:23 AM

Garage
My brother has a DRE diaper on his Oldsmobile. When he bought the diaper he took pics of how close the header tubes are to the oil pan, he also sent his oil pan to them to get a tight fit. They put kevlar patches where the headers touch the diaper. He ran it 2 seasons before the diaper started to melt at the header. He called them sent it back and they fixed it for free. As for the mounting straps he bought heat sleeve insulation from Jegs.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynotch View Post
I think aluminized Kevlar is what you want for both heat and shrapnel retention. It's what I have on the windsor in my car. I know a guy that gets them at a real good price through ramjetracing.net. I can get you in touch with him or you can get a quote directly through ramjet. I've had mine in direct contact with header pipes with no burn through. Unless things have changed recently, most sanctions that require a diaper don't require it to be "SFI". They can make the diapers "custom", so they fit really well. I can get a pic of mine if you like.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate that. I'm going to give them a call to see what they have available and what it might cost. I do want an engine diaper but I do not want to ruin it the first time the engine comes up to temperature. Hopefully the aluminized kevlar would do the trick. And hopefully it won't be a billion dollars either. I'll let you know that I find out. If it is real expensive I may see if you can have your guy talk to them. Either way I'll report back what they say the price will be. Thanks for the info! Most appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in