anyone else have a fox body with 460 and c6? - 460 Ford Forum
General Race Tech All other topics, such as Fuel Delivery, Ignition, Engine, Safety, Data Aquisition, Suspension, etc...

User Tag List

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
 
anyone else have a fox body with 460 and c6?

looking for estimates of et on my combo, and whether or not I should go larger with the cam on current combo and maybe an intake. Also looking for a driveshaft asap!
89LX460 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
 
MrScharfenberger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgetown Indiana
Posts: 4,936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89LX460 View Post
looking for estimates of et on my combo, and whether or not I should go larger with the cam on current combo and maybe an intake. Also looking for a driveshaft asap!
I have a 385 series motor in a Foxbody but you didn't give much info to go on.

Send Questions To: [email protected]
MrScharfenberger is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
 
Sorry about that..
460 ported d3 heads and dish pistons roller rockers guide plates
Edelbrock performer
Screamin demon 850
Comp cam of unknown lift/duration
C6 with 2500-2800
9 inch gear 350 gear
275 drag radial

Suspension work
Lakewood 90/10- 50/50




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
89LX460 is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator
 
MrScharfenberger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgetown Indiana
Posts: 4,936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89LX460 View Post
Sorry about that..
460 ported d3 heads and dish pistons roller rockers guide plates
Edelbrock performer
Screamin demon 850
Comp cam of unknown lift/duration
C6 with 2500-2800
9 inch gear 350 gear
275 drag radial

Suspension work
Lakewood 90/10- 50/50




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the cam is suited for the Performer intake then it is going to be a pretty mild build. I'll take a wild a$$ guess and say somewhere in the mid to high 12's for the quarter mile. That motor won't want to go much over 5000 to 5500 RPM with that intake on it.

Send Questions To: [email protected]
MrScharfenberger is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 09:45 PM
Senior Member
 
BOSS 429's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ILL
Posts: 3,668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
 
more carb,better intake,and Id install diff heads,and more gear

and a 3000 to 3500 stall

RICH
CIRCLE (R) 815 712 8738
--------------------------------
BUY,SELL, or TRADE BBF parts
Dynoed or Test STAND RAN
CYLINDER HEAD PORTING
HEAD FLOWING
COMPLETE ENGINES avb
From STOCK to NOT
PRO SYSTEMS CARBS
BOSS 302 351 429 800CI+
BOSS 429 is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
 
More carb? Better intake I get , performer rpm?
The only other carb I have is a 1050 dom
D0Ve- c will be on of soon
I’d live more gear, but don’t want to be on the freeway at 65 turning 3800 maybe I should stick the built aod I have in it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by MrScharfenberger; 04-25-2018 at 09:30 AM.
89LX460 is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator
 
MrScharfenberger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgetown Indiana
Posts: 4,936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
 
You really need to know the cam spec's and what pistons you have before you do anything. Planning the build is essential for positive results before you make the next move with different parts. If you have a low compression stock bottom end & a stock style cam all you are going to do with a bigger carb & Performer RPM intake is make it even slower.

What do you know about the motor? What did it come out of? Was it rebuilt at some point? Tell us what you know. Still too little information to give any good advice IMO.

Also if somebody put in a bigger Comp cam but did nothing to the bottom end then they may have already started going down the path of making it slower already. I'm not saying this did happen but I'm saying it could have happened. All parts need to work well together to yield positive results. Installing individual high performance parts with no regard for all the other parts most often returns disappointing results.

Send Questions To: [email protected]

Last edited by MrScharfenberger; 04-25-2018 at 09:34 AM.
MrScharfenberger is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScharfenberger View Post
You really need to know the cam spec's and what pistons you have before you do anything. Planning the build is essential for positive results before you make the next move with different parts. If you have a low compression stock bottom end & a stock style cam all you are going to do with a bigger carb & Performer RPM intake is make it even slower.

What do you know about the motor? What did it come out of? Was it rebuilt at some point? Tell us what you know. Still too little information to give any good advice IMO.

Also if somebody put in a bigger Comp cam but did nothing to the bottom end then they may have already started going down the path of making it slower already. I'm not saying this did happen but I'm saying it could have happened. All parts need to work well together to yield positive results. Installing individual high performance parts with no regard for all the other parts most often returns disappointing results.
The short block was rebuilt with LF2404-.030 Pistons,
The heads were slightly ported on the exhaust port, Stud mount rockers , and machine work to pedestals for those, guide plates, new springs, stem cut for higher lift, and a valve job.
The Cam is supposedly around .570 lift at the valve with 1.73 rockers, that is about all that I could get out of the previous owner on the cam.

The car runs well for what is done to it, i have not driven it much, *had to order a proper length driveshaft*
It does seem to pull well up until about 5400, didnt get much time to get above that safely.. I suppose the perfrormer intake may be at the limit with the D3 heads and dish pistons, so the combo may work.

I do have a set of D0VE-C heads on the way, and will clean those up. They do have larger valves, but I believe they only cut the throats of the bowls when placing the larger valves in. So they will need port work, i joined the mad porters site to get guidance on that. I will make the swap this year if time ever permits...

I may just start gathering parts for those heads, and not worry too much about the current D3 combo, outside of getting a few baseline runs.


thanks for advice.
89LX460 is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 02:57 PM
Senior Member
 
BOSS 429's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ILL
Posts: 3,668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScharfenberger View Post
You really need to know the cam spec's and what pistons you have before you do anything. Planning the build is essential for positive results before you make the next move with different parts. If you have a low compression stock bottom end & a stock style cam all you are going to do with a bigger carb & Performer RPM intake is make it even slower.

What do you know about the motor? What did it come out of? Was it rebuilt at some point? Tell us what you know. Still too little information to give any good advice IMO.

Also if somebody put in a bigger Comp cam but did nothing to the bottom end then they may have already started going down the path of making it slower already. I'm not saying this did happen but I'm saying it could have happened. All parts need to work well together to yield positive results. Installing individual high performance parts with no regard for all the other parts most often returns disappointing results.
thats kinda funny

my kids stock dish bottom end in a stock fox body runs 10.80s, stock dish,cast piston,from 1978 truck

1050 dom, has solid lifter cam, 373 gear is all, runs on pump gas, victor intake, 3250lbs c6, , glad her engine cant read

NOTHING HAS MADE IT SLOWER ,

in fact here is her cam,was something I had laying around

294 304 .592 .612 112

which is now back on the shelf, installing a larger solid roller, wonder how much slower it will go?

she also finshed 2nd in points this year with it

RICH
CIRCLE (R) 815 712 8738
--------------------------------
BUY,SELL, or TRADE BBF parts
Dynoed or Test STAND RAN
CYLINDER HEAD PORTING
HEAD FLOWING
COMPLETE ENGINES avb
From STOCK to NOT
PRO SYSTEMS CARBS
BOSS 302 351 429 800CI+
BOSS 429 is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
 
MrScharfenberger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgetown Indiana
Posts: 4,936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS 429 View Post
thats kinda funny

my kids stock dish bottom end in a stock fox body runs 10.80s, stock dish,cast piston,from 1978 truck

1050 dom, has solid lifter cam, 373 gear is all, runs on pump gas, victor intake, 3250lbs c6, , glad her engine cant read

NOTHING HAS MADE IT SLOWER ,

in fact here is her cam,was something I had laying around

294 304 .592 .612 112

which is now back on the shelf, installing a larger solid roller, wonder how much slower it will go?

she also finshed 2nd in points this year with it
Well you know what's in your daughters motor. I didn't know what is in his and I wasn't sure he did either. Knowing what is in the motor before you start building was my point. I think you missed that.

You build motors for a living Rich. You know there are a lot of people out there slapping on mismatched parts that just don't work well together. That equals lots of disappointment per dollars spent.

We both know that D3 heads and low compression does not equal high lift soild cam, high rise intake & a Dominator carb. We also both know whatever heads you have on your daughters car (Not D3's I'm sure) were heavily worked by you. Not only to get the flow up but they were also decked to get the compression up.
BOSS 429 likes this.

Send Questions To: [email protected]

Last edited by MrScharfenberger; 04-25-2018 at 07:07 PM.
MrScharfenberger is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScharfenberger View Post
Well you know what's your daughters motor. I didn't know what is in his and I wasn't sure he did either. Knowing what is in the motor before you start building was my point. I think you missed that.



You build motors for a living Rich. You know there are a lot of people out there slapping on mismatched parts that just don't work well together. That equals lots of disappointment per dollars spent.



We both know that D3 heads and low compression does not equal high lift soild cam, high rise intake & a Dominator carb. We also both know whatever heads you have on your daughters car (Not D3's I'm sure) were heavily worked by you. Not only to get the flow up but they were also decked to get the compression up.



I Plan on bumping the compression to near 10 with the D0 heads.
Have to see how far the pistons are in the hole.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
89LX460 is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 06:09 PM
Senior Member
 
BOSS 429's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ILL
Posts: 3,668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScharfenberger View Post
Well you know what's your daughters motor. I didn't know what is in his and I wasn't sure he did either. Knowing what is in the motor before you start building was my point. I think you missed that.

You build motors for a living Rich. You know there are a lot of people out there slapping on mismatched parts that just don't work well together. That equals lots of disappointment per dollars spent.

We both know that D3 heads and low compression does not equal high lift soild cam, high rise intake & a Dominator carb. We also both know whatever heads you have on your daughters car (Not D3's I'm sure) were heavily worked by you. Not only to get the flow up but they were also decked to get the compression up.

I thought I said id they were DOVE's

lol, no my kid would of like a pair of worked over heads,in fave the intake was STOCK out of the box. NOW tho thats another story,and IT IS GETTING a pair of WORKED over doves this time ,and KATIE PORTED the intake her self, it fact it gained a lot.

PS, I didnt mis I would of bet $ the cam was too small

RICH
CIRCLE (R) 815 712 8738
--------------------------------
BUY,SELL, or TRADE BBF parts
Dynoed or Test STAND RAN
CYLINDER HEAD PORTING
HEAD FLOWING
COMPLETE ENGINES avb
From STOCK to NOT
PRO SYSTEMS CARBS
BOSS 302 351 429 800CI+
BOSS 429 is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 06:10 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ILLINOIS
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
  
Lol I wish those heads would have been worked over. Next set will be 😀
Katie460 is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator
 
MrScharfenberger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgetown Indiana
Posts: 4,936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
 
Looks like he has a 22cc dish SpeedPro's. I'm thinking his static compression ratio is about 8.4:1

I forget all of the stock motor spec's. I'm also guesstimating that the pistons are about .020 in the hole.

If he were to put on a set of D0VE heads I'm thinking that should get his compression ratio up to about 9.8:1 and the motor would then LOVE a Performer RPM intake. It sounds like he is a bit over cammed for the heads & intake he has on it now.

If all of that is true his current cam if it is .57 inches of lift would be pretty happy with the 9.8:1 compression ratio.

Does that sound about right to you Rich?

Send Questions To: [email protected]
MrScharfenberger is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:49 PM
Senior Member
 
bob460's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
 
100-150hp..........shot of NOS.......IMO.

Cheers, Bob
bob460 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome