Raging85 build thread - Page 3 - 460 Ford Forum
4x4's, Pullers, Crawlers and other HD rides We don't need no stinkin' asphalt!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Precision is still doing the engine, I had to postpone it by a couple months so I'm really hoping by the end of November.

The truck itself, once I get the dyno numbers I will decide if glide or C6, I have both but both need to be built. Got the diffs, 3 different t-case options and also have the rear rubber and wheels. I think once I finally get the engine it should progress pretty fast. Then I will actually bring the frame into the garage and get working on it.

Did you make any changes for next year, you mentioned getting some paddles a little earlier?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging85 View Post
Precision is still doing the engine, I had to postpone it by a couple months so I'm really hoping by the end of November.

The truck itself, once I get the dyno numbers I will decide if glide or C6, I have both but both need to be built. Got the diffs, 3 different t-case options and also have the rear rubber and wheels. I think once I finally get the engine it should progress pretty fast. Then I will actually bring the frame into the garage and get working on it.

Did you make any changes for next year, you mentioned getting some paddles a little earlier?

Did you end up getting your cylinder head valve issue figured out correctly?

Sounds like you will have a couple different options to go for set up depending on what weight and overall drive ratio. I like the one shift deal with the pg which would be a lot nicer with rough pits we race in but I don't like chevy,since the chevy parts we do have slow it down...literally the rear brake calipers lol

Don't think we will be doing much to baby blue except rebuild the trans and refresh the engine.Havnt made any changes to ol baby blue but put a pro system carb,re-stalled and new rear gear Earlier this year.i will be making a video soon and post it

We do have the same set of paddle tires as Myron's tried them once with poor tune they still managed 2.5 seconds faster.we still have yet to try them out when the truck is 100% and with the transbrake.
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

That's too funny about the chevy brakes! I want to use my 205 divorced and run a driveline(disc brake style) off the t case input. Hopefully keep the issue of mud filled brakes from happening.

As long as I can get the right gear for starting line ratio and final drive to balance out I think the glide will work well, it will come down to how much hp/tq I get to work with.

The heads got all new valves and valve job again! Now all the intakes are one size and the exhausts are one size.

I really wanted to try the SV-1 but the mixed reviews won't allow it. My builder said unless I had one to borrow he wouldn't recommend me buying one.

You cut your time by 2.5 seconds just by hooking up-that's crazy!

post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging85 View Post
The truck itself, once I get the dyno numbers, I will decide if Glide or C6...
Would the Powerglide be for strength or gearing issues? A C6 should do fine in 4WD low range.

May God's Grace Bless You

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, custom traction bars, 4" lift, 35" mud tires
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

there are a couple reasons I would like to go glide
1-weight, I'm giving up horsepower so need to loose some weight. I cant move the engine back so if I lighten the truck in the middle and put my divorced 205 just past center towards the rear I'm hoping that will help with weight transfer and center of gravity.

2-down the road when I step up the engine program I believe that gears are cheaper than switching trans, I eventually want to eliminate the case and go chain drive. I know I should build for what I have today but I just like to be different sometimes!

3-I may be wrong here but I think it will help me on the starting line from blowing the tires off before the front end lifts, if I can hook better before the wheel speed comes on then maybe I can get the frontend up? This is more of a question I guess.

There hasn't really been much feedback on my glide questions here, mostly I think because the C6 is tested and true-I may still go with a C6 in the end anyway but I think that there a lot of people who put the 6 in and then switch to a glide for all out racing in the end anyway. This is a race only application and some things I hope to get right the first time, again gears are cheaper than trannys!

P.S. nice bronco in your sig
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

going together

I finally have some proof of life!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (34.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (42.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (35.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg image4.JPG (83.6 KB, 36 views)
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 12:31 PM

Hey any update on this project? Almost mudding season in the great white north!
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Hey!
I wish there was an update, still waiting on my engine. It's a few months over due. Last week we were waiting for some intake gaskets. Needed some thicker ones for the intake that has been butchered over the years. I am patiently waiting for the dyno video!
You got your rig ready to go already! I thought as a group we left everything till the last minute lol!
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 03:41 PM

Cool! Must be getting antsy waiting! Have you got your chassis and body started yet?

Our truck is still sitting,set our trans down to frank to get refreshed.unfortunatly I don't know how much racing we will be doing this year because my parents place burnt down a week ago. So I imagine we will be focusing on that for awhile.
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Sorry to hear about your folks, hope everyone is okay. Probably not the start to 2015 you were looking for.

got the chassis sitting in the garage bare and ready, front axle moved forward but no links yet. want to see ride height before I make my new radius arms so I can change pinion angle if needed. housing floater is sitting on the shelf too. Just need the engine!
post #41 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Yo dude, block an pistons look awesome. Where did you get pistons? I am looking for a better set to use with my pro comp heads. As for an opinion on powerglides, they are a good trans but are expensive depending on mods u do or need done. Been debating on doin one myself, but gonna wait until i grenade a few c6s before I switch to a powerglide.
post #42 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Hey there,
The brand of pistons is Diamond. I bought all my parts through my builder so I'm thinking he got them direct as my heads are down to 67cc chambers.
Either way I need to build a trans so the investment will be the same for me, i will probably spend the extra dollars up front for an aftermarket case and such on the glide.
How much power are you putting down? The C6 is a pretty tough piece,
post #43 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Yo ragin85, am not making huge power yet. Have had trouble with my c6 for quite awhile. Never really seem to hold 3rd gear. Would shift back an forth. Had 2 trans shops give there opinion on what problem was but no definite answer. Swapped trans out for a t-18 meanwhile until problem was found. After c6 was sitting for few months, truck smoked a axle bearing in the 9inch rear. Yanked axle and took to a local rear end builder for new bearing an after new bearing was installed, chatted with the owner about my truck since he wrenches on trucks more than I ever will. He said the trans trouble is more than likely a modulater an valve body issue. He was rite. Now when the clutch crapps out on my t-18, gonna swap the c6 back in and hammer down. Just hope the case holds up.
post #44 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Still waiting for the power plant to hit the dyno, looks like its close. In the meantime I've got my Glide and bell housing, built my spring sliders, purchased the competition engineering floater kit, moved the front axle 8" forward and put the new 4" BDS coils in. Today I got my hands on some 32" MT slicks that I might get scoops put on-how do they compare to 39" boggers for diameter once the scoops are on?
considering its been ready for the dyno since April it's getting kinda ridiculous, but what can you do! This is taking sooo much longer then I thought it would
oh yeah, I picked up a mint 1997 reg cab step side ranger body that is going to look sweet too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine.jpg (45.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg powerglide.jpg (13.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg carb.jpg (40.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg slider2.jpg (91.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg slider.jpg (96.9 KB, 44 views)
post #45 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Body is transferred over, not going to make any mounts until the engine and transmission are sitting in there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1437449700439.jpg (91.7 KB, 50 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in