6.4 diesel good, bad? - 460 Ford Forum
4x4's, Pullers, Crawlers and other HD rides We don't need no stinkin' asphalt!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

6.4 diesel good, bad?

Is the reliability better than 6.0?
I can google it but want some feedback from ford heads, I read about EGR issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I own a shop that specializes in power strokes. I worked in the dealer for many years as a diesel tech. The base 6.4 engine is better than the 6.0. The exhaust filter and regen system on the 6.4 is terrible. The fuel mileage is terrible. If you delete the dpf and egr and keep your fuel filters changed every 10k (use ford filters only), they can be very dependable. Fuel mileage is usually in the mid to high teens with deleted emissions. They make great power. The high pressure fuel system is all internal so if it leaks the fuel goes in the oil. Leaks are almost impossible to find and replacing the entire system is pricy.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Other an the 7.3 what "ford" diesels are reliable in light duty trucks without these [email protected]#$ issues that can cause the major issues?
I have always used WIX fuel filters no good in fords?

I may just stick with Cummins. My 99 has served me well.

Last edited by gafred99; 08-28-2016 at 06:24 PM. Reason: info

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Garage
I have an 04 6.0 and have had no problems since new. Of course that's only ~115,000 miles and only Ford filters. I only use Ford Motorcraft oil and fuel filters in all three of my trucks. I haven't heard much good about the 6.4's, but then again, haven't heard much good about 6.0's, and I love mine. I think you have lemons everywhere.

78 F250, 466/C6/205, EFI, Dana 60 4.88 spool, Ford 10.25 4.88 lincoln locker, Custom 4-link rear coil springs, Custom 3-link front coil springs, 39" Boggers on 12" Weld SS's (sold)
2006 Blue/Gray F250 4x4 CC 6.0 Torqshift NP273
79 F350, 521/T18/205, Dana 60 4.10 detroit, dana 70hd 4.10 Lincoln locker, 36" Rockers on 12" Eagles.dynoed at 628hp and 685ft/lbs torque at 5000rpms all iron

Last edited by lonco; 08-29-2016 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

What about head bolts on the 6.4? A problem on 6.0's is what I have read.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 07:59 PM

Are the 97, 7.3s any good?
do they have a turbo?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by res0rli9 View Post
Are the 97, 7.3s any good?
do they have a turbo?
The 7.3 is by far the most reliable of the Powerstruggles, but it also makes the least power (I believe that is part of why it stays together). All 7.3 Powerstrokes are turbo, they started in 94 1/2. The earlier IDI 7.3 could be had with a turbo in it's later years as well but it doesn't make as much power.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

6.4 power stroke

I have an 08 F350 4x4 dually. Bought it 3 years ago with 47k miles. I read up on the pros/cons and the head gasket problem had been addressed with the 6.4
Biggest issues were the DPF regen cycles over heating the turbo seals and dumping oil into exhaust causing a ton of bad things to happen and trashing the engines. The DPF delete, which requires a tuner to shut things off, cures that problem and adds many many years of life to the engine while getting better performance and fuel mileage (I get approx. 18mpg with the 275hp addition and that's measured the right way, not by the dash) but you have to live somewhere that you can get away with the delete. The law is VERY clear. ANY vehicle operating on any state, county, township, etc road with the DPF removed IS IN VIOLATION. No ands ifs or buts about it. It doesn't apply only to places with echeck.
If your going to do the DPF you might as well delete there EGR and the exhaust coolers that have a tendency to crack and leak. You won't believe the gunk under the EGR valve/elbow when you remove it.... pretty scary!
Then there is the sand casted blocks with remaining sand getting released in the cooling system and wearing through the water pump housings allowing coolant to go into the oil. A coolant filter add on helps this big time.
There are a couple other issues with wire fraying and your coolant cap being junk. If you have coolant disappearing and can't find where its going? Check your cap! 99% of them are junk! Lower pressure in your system lowers the boiling point of your coolant so you literally boil your coolant away without knowing it. Once you replance it though, its best to keep an eye out for other leaks now that the system is holding the higher pressure.
Other than that they are an awesome engine with a ton of potential all depending on what you use is for the vehicle. I love mine and love the mileage a 4x4 dually can get!!!!
P.S. Like others above, I've been a master diesel tech for many years but I still rely on the knowledge of others who have experienced problems with engines that I haven't....
Have a good one,
Auggie
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

this article can tell you,6.4L Problems - Diesel Power Magazine

To bring you light for your car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in