Race Talk Tech and Non Tech Discussion

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

385 series Big Blocks with 4 speed trans

Just wanting to see how many people running the 385 series engines are racing with 4 speed transmissions.
We are using a Jerico 4 Speed in our 3480lb car with a best et of 9.32 @ 144.77
and 1.251 in the 60.

What else is out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to NITROUS FORD
Smile

Got a 466 with a doug nash 5 speed trans a429 heads ported, single plane intake victor,12.5 comp
in a guted out notch back mustang about (2700lbs) and a Nos big shot plate for some hard headed chevy boys!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 09:17 PM

I have been running a proshifted toploader in my car for 30 years. There are a few tricks to make it live, and these same tricks apply to any stick car. The Jerico is based off a toploader design with a lot of the toploader issues fixed. I'm going to guess you are having input breakage or shearing gear teeth on the input or cluster gear. Without knowing your combo, i can't suggest a gear ratio, but you need to select a combo that has the thickest gear tooth on both the input and cluster gears, then adjust your rear gear and tire size to get back to the desired overall gearing. Also, your clutch set-up will mean everything to breakage. A hard hitting clutch will break an anvil and stand the car on the bumper. There are a lot of options on clutches. The guys at RAM always did a great job for me. I am currently running a sintered iron dual disc with bronze inserts on the flywheel and pressure plate. base pressure is dependant on track conditions, but is in the 400-600 lb range. If you want to get away from these types of transmissions (cluster under main shaft, face or od gear engagement, shift levers thru side of case), I would look at a Liberty. It is 100% reliable and is smaller and lighter than a Lenco.

GET IN, SHUT UP, AND HOLD ON!!!!
GEARJAMMERS FOREVER
'71 MERCURY COMET, 466+, CLUTCHLESS TOPLOADER

Last edited by mr4speed; 10-14-2011 at 09:28 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Talking 4 speeds

30 year toploader guy. Currently running one behind a blown 460 using Hays MK12 plate & disc. Only trick I use is Red Line Oil Synthetic heavy high shock gear lube. Using Hurst Super Shifter 3. Really like the toploaders, I have had great reliability out of them, so I've stuck with them since high school.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 08:22 PM

Nice to see someone besides me still has the faith. I can say the learning curve was steep. When my car was a bracket car, then super stock,then modified production, I only had minor trouble. When I cut it up and put the tube chassis under it with the 460, the fun began. I can seriously say I have broken everything at least 4 or 5 times. I finally got it to last an entire season with only basic maintenance, and thankfully that is the way it has been for many years. I like the vertical gate shifter but Hurst and Mr Gasket stopped production of them years ago. I just keep rebuilding the ones I have.

GET IN, SHUT UP, AND HOLD ON!!!!
GEARJAMMERS FOREVER
'71 MERCURY COMET, 466+, CLUTCHLESS TOPLOADER
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 02:11 AM

Garage
I have two toploaders a wide ratio model from a small block and a close ratio from a big block with the big input mainshaft. I would like to use one in my 1970 Mustang Fastback. I am building a street / strip 521. I have 9 inch traction loc 3.70 rear end and a vertical gate shifter. Do you have any suggestions as far as the setup like bellhousing, manual or hydraulic clutch, flywheel and driveshaft. I would love to keep my four speed and run against the C4's, C6's glides, and turbos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in