Race Talk Tech and Non Tech Discussion

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Used 4-bolt caps, paper weights?

A guy is trying to unload a used set of Milodon 429/460 4-bolt main caps on me. (I will buy almost anything usable at the right price, but I don't need junk.) I think I already know the answer to this question but for the record, have they any value other than a few pounds of scrap or as paperweights on someone's desk? I think with extra machine work (like machining down main cap tangs making the hole smaller and out-a-round ,then re-boring the centerline) then the caps might be reused. But the price of the required machine work to reuse use caps will cost WAY more than New name brand caps, therefore making these used caps junk. Researched this idea and found little info on it and thought some of you guys could clear this little disagreement up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You have to bolt them to the block you intend to use and see how off they are. Shop used to work at would save caps from any block junked as when had a block that needed a cap would keep trying caps sometimes would find one that was real close. Sometime turn it around and would fit better. Just try it all. Can always add the bearing notch need be.

Likely would have to take some off cap and line bore. A new cap has to be fitted and line bored anyway. Problem with a used cap is don't have that extra thickness so if it is off on one side or the other can be a PITA.

Guess the answer is have to try them to know. If seller will let you have the machinist try them on the block to see how easy or hard be best way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 460 Ford Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in