460 Ford Forum banner

O/T Timing Pointer on a 302

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  rdze57 
#1 ·
I have a question.

I have an early 90's roller block 302.

I bought it to replace an early 70's 302 block.

The timing point from the 70's block is on the passenger side.

When I installed a fluid damper today, the TDC mark on the balancer came no where near the timing marker. The TDC mark on the balancer lines up almost perfectly with another bolt hold in the timing cover.

The motor is TDC from where we installed the cam.

The balancer is installed correctly (only one place the pin lines up).

We did the old "screw driver" in the plug hole on #1 to verify it is up. It does appear to be up. I didn't move the crank much when installing the distributor so I'm comfortable it is very close to TDC where it is sitting.

Is the timing mark on the 90's 302 in a different location on the later motors or do I have other issues? Could the bolt hole it is lined up with be where a timing pointer should be?

See less See more
#6 ·
Timing pointer

Get yourself a TDC indicator, find TDC, and make a mark. You screw this thing into a spark plug hole, turn the engine over slowly by hand, and watch the graduation marks (much like an old tire pressure gauge). The only way better than this is to rig up a dial indicator on the end of it, which is overkill considering a distributor introduces more than 1deg of advance error anyway...and you can achieve 1deg accuracy with this thing by eye.

If you don't have one already, buy a timing light that has an adjustment knob on the back, crank it over to 10, 20, or whatever you want your initial to be...and time the engine.

Here's a link where you can buy this handy tool.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...?storeId=6970&productId=200312010&R=200312010

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.